• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help! My navy BB suit makes me look like a preacher

TintinATL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Get a haircut and make sure they use thinning shears.

I agree the haircut is really not helping... it adds to the preacher look

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
try wearing a different shirt

and you definitely dont want a 3 button jacket. it just smells of 1998

No wonder the average man is confused about clothes considering that forumites come up with this stuff.

watchingdetails2002

Reaction score
You best be careful what you say. Otherwise Alan Might talk about you from his Pulpit. Besides sometimes Pastors need to look good from the pulpit, instead of something that came out of the missionary barrel.

raphael

Reaction score
Originally Posted by joshd
This is my first post. Hi everyone!

I hadn't bought a suit for about 10 years until recently. And now I think I made a mistake. I'm 29 years old, very tall with a relatively slim build (46 extra-long, pants 36x36). A couple months ago I got a 2-button navy BrooksEase suit with pleated pants. Because I'm so tall the suit's features are very spread out, making the overall look of the suit very minimalistic. That, combined with the cut I chose, and the fact that all my shirts are either white or off-white, makes me look like nothing other than a preacher when I wear it.

I wish I'd found this forum beforehand. I'd have at least gotten a 3-button suit with flat-front pants, and I would have something contemporary. But what's done is done. What can I do to salvage the situation, so I have an outfit I feel comfortable in without buying a new suit?

-Josh

suitnh7ym4.jpg

It's not suit that's making you look like a preacher. It's your haircut. The suit looks pretty good BTW.

joshd

Reaction score
Thanks for the help so far. To summarize the replies: 1. Get a haircut. (Already have one scheduled
wink.gif
) 2. Shirt/Tie/Pocket Square. 3. The peak of fashion was not Harlem in 1948.
tongue.gif
So I've got a couple questions about what to avoid in the ****-tie combo. Is this shirt good with this suit? Is a blue shirt with a blue tie OK with this suit? Is a dark striped shirt like this? Does a striped tie work with a striped shirt? If the shirt isn't blue, is it safe to have the tie be a third color (and/or the pocket square be a fourth)?

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
The first shirt would be nice with a solid blue tie.

Be careful mixing stripes. It can be done but they should be of a different scale. I think Manton has written an article on mixing paterns - sorry I don't have a link.

I would take a big pass on that last shirt.

If one has the eye for it, three or four patterns can be mixed, but to start, the old adage of one fancy and two plains is good advice. Two fancies and one plain can follow that when you are comfortable.

Cheers, Jim.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You won't look like a preacher if you add some details of interest to your outfit. Here are a few simple things to add interest.

-wear navy socks to match your suit, that also have another subtle color pattern in them.
-wear a white linen pocket square or a paisley with some navy and other colors
-consider a blue and white stripped shirt
-try a shirt with a cutaway or wide spread collar (not a big collar just a very wide opening)
-try brown shoes and belt instead of black. It will give you less of an institutional look.

Good luck!
cheers.gif

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help so far. To summarize the replies: 1. Get a haircut. (Already have one scheduled
wink.gif
) 2. Shirt/Tie/Pocket Square. 3. The peak of fashion was not Harlem in 1948.
tongue.gif
So I've got a couple questions about what to avoid in the ****-tie combo. Is this shirt good with this suit? Is a blue shirt with a blue tie OK with this suit? Is a dark striped shirt like this? Does a striped tie work with a striped shirt? If the shirt isn't blue, is it safe to have the tie be a third color (and/or the pocket square be a fourth)?

I'm 29 years old, very tall with a relatively slim build...
Better choices out there than Brooks Brothers for a slim build. Their shirts are quite full.

joshd

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Jim. I'll search for that article too.

PSG, great suggestions. I'm going to try all of them.

Robwynge

Reaction score
Thanks for the help so far. To summarize the replies:

1. Get a haircut. (Already have one scheduled
wink.gif
)

Go to a gay hair stylist, not Joe-the-barber, and just tell him to make you look very fashonable. Let him do the rest. Yes, I am serious, and no, I am not gay.

a_nun

Reaction score
yeah, but don't just trust any gay guy with sheers. I'm just saying, that's kinda like saying trust any fashion advice from a gay man (remember that youtube gap 'sensation'?). better to find someone you think can understand what you want.

joshd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robwynge
Go to a gay hair stylist, not Joe-the-barber, and just tell him to make you look very fashonable. Let him do the rest. Yes, I am serious, and no, I am not gay.

The best haircuts I've ever had have been from straight male stylists. It's a little strange, but I guess you have to really love cutting hair if your straight and you're in that business.

I have a great stylist now, honestly. It's just been close to 3 months since I've seen her. That hair is pretty much even length over my whole head, not any reflection of her ability. Most of you on the forum probably couldn't imagine letting yourselves get in this state of disrepair, but work has been eating up all of my time, and nobody gives a damn about anyone's grooming at my job (programmer at a software startup).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads