• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Have you read the entire Bible?

emptym

Reaction score
As a good Catholic, I'd have to say no.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
Why have you read it so many times? Did you get something different out of it every time?

I wouldn't say I got something different each time, but that I got more out of it each time. As I came to know the individual texts more closely, the text as a whole, the Story of the Bible, became much more alive to me and made much more sense. It really opens up, you'll see allusions and foreshadowing and all types of references. Plus, I was in Bible College for a year, so that's where 2 of the readings came from. I had read it 5 or 6 times before then, twice in college, spent a lot of time in certain books or groups of books like the Pentateuch or the Pauline Epistles and the Gospels, and have read it a few times since then. It's interesting to see how my reaction to the text changes as my personal belief system grows.

dexterhaven

Reaction score
Originally Posted by injung
those boring books of family lines, laws, and building specs are awesome...when you need a sleep aid.

I don't know. The rules in Leviticus were kind of fun to read. There would be a rule about how long your tent pole should be followed by a rule about how to correctly ID leprosy. The whole time I was wandering what absurd thing would come next and why the Hebrew God felt the need to comment on such things.

Berticus

Reaction score
I'm atheist and I've thought about reading the bible a few times simply to see what all the hype over it was. I've been told it's nothing all that spectacular though. I think I've tried to read it twice, but then never had time to really sit down and absorb it.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym

laugh.gif

+1.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dexterhaven
... why the Hebrew God felt the need to comment on such things.

Many of those rules, such as the ones about leprosy, are actually quite practical, given their circumstances. Like many religious and cultural rules, they started out as practical responses to their environment, then their original purpose was forgotten and they became God-given laws.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to say, reading the Bible by yourself is much more interesting than "having it read to you over the course of XY years." If you have only heard the Bible, then you haven't really read it. I grew up Catholic and therefore never touched the Bible. Later, in college, I began reading it.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym

lol. I hadn't seen this before I posted.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
I read a picture bible when I was younger but that's it. I keep thinking I should read the real version one day...

I think it is something that people should read if they are interested in the subject. You will literally want to kill yourself in books like Chronicles 1 and 2, Liviticus (although it has its moments of bloodshed and intrigue), Numbers and a few others.

If you are a person whose brain functions relatively normally, reading the bible cover to cover will immediately make you an atheist if you are not one already.

rxcats

Reaction score
Yes, I have read the entire Tanakh (Jewish Bible or Old Testament). I have also read bits and pieces of the Koran and New Testament as well.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
If you are a person whose brain functions relatively normally, reading the bible cover to cover will immediately make you an atheist if you are not one already.

That's not true. Hearing somebody say such stupid things makes me think that their brain might not function relatively normally.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
That's not true. Hearing somebody say such stupid things makes me think that their brain might not function relatively normally.

My apologies, I should have known better. You went to bible college for a year so I should have known better to say that.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
My apologies, I should have known better. You went to bible college for a year so I should have known better to say that.

FWIW, I'm closer to being an atheist after bible college than I ever was beforehand. It has little to do with the Bible though, which IMO has very real and very good life advice and is a great story. There's a reason it's one of the most influential books in the history of mankind (at least since the beginning of written language). For some people it works wonders and for others it just falls flat, I suppose.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it is something that people should read if they are interested in the subject. You will literally want to kill yourself in books like Chronicles 1 and 2, Liviticus (although it has its moments of bloodshed and intrigue), Numbers and a few others.

What you have said makes me believe you have not read the Bible in a very long time, if at all. Or, if you did read it, it didn't move you.

emptym

Reaction score
On the one hand, I would like to have read the whole Bible and hope to some day. But I don't think reading the Bible should be like climbing a mountain. The Bible isn't something to be conquered. It's not something one can read and then dismiss along the lines of, "Been there, done that."

Reading it and understanding it are two vastly different things. Applying it to one's life takes a yet greater step.

For now, I'm content to know what I know and to take the steps I'm taking. I trust that there are not only some things I don't know, but some things that if I read them, I wouldn't understand them. Someday, when I need them, they will come to me.

This is true about many things. I haven't read the Bros. Karamazov, for example, bec. I'm not sure I'm ready for it. But it's particularly true about the Bible. Of course, things can and often should be reread...

Edit: climbing a mountain shouldn't be done w/ the purpose of being able to say "been there, done that," at least not primarily for this reason.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads