• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Has anyone read The Goal by Goldratt?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have. It's pretty much a required book to read for accounting majors. Only thing I didn't like about it is the love story part that was sort of thrown in the middle. There's a sequel to the book called "It's Not Luck".

salisboss

Reaction score
His books are great. If you are in PM type work read Critical Chain, it will blow most people's minds.

crispeta

Reaction score
Probably everyone who went to bschool had it on her desk or night stand.. oh, nowadays I own a kindle as well :p

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Read it in undergrad. Good concepts in light fiction, but I imagine they are overshadowed my more 'sophisticated' management concepts now. Definitely the easiest assigned read of a BS Engineering degree.

Joel-Henry

Reaction score
Over 5 millions people around the world have read The Goal since its 1st edition in 1983. It was considered by Time Magazine (August 2011) as one of the 25 most influential management book of the XXth Century. It's not only a must for students, it's a must for everybody involved in management.
Its author, Eliyahu Goldratt (1947-2011) is the founder of a management approach and philosophy known under the name of Theory of Constraints or TOC. He was not only a best-sellers author (its other books : The Race, What is this Thing Called Theory of Constraints, The Haystack Syndrome, It's Not Luck, Critical Chain, Necessary but Not Sufficient, The Choice and Isn't Obvious) but also a successful consultant.
Today more than 230 books have been written on the subject and among them The TOC Handbook (McGrawHill) - around 1200 pages written by famous TOC Experts, including Eli Goldratt.
TOC states and demonstrates that the performance of every system, every organization can be dramatically improved by focusing improvement efforts on a very few parts (generally one) of a system, called the constraint. The constraint is whatever limits the global performance of any system. It can be a machine like in The Goal novel, a policy or a distorted vision of reality (a paradigm change is needed).
TOC is based on three pillars : logic, intuition and emotion. That means that TOC managers have to use these 3 pillars to understand the reality. They are helped by using specific logic tools named Thinking Processes, created by Eli Goldratt.
These tools are really powerful to find and communicate breakthrough solutions to complex problems in complex systems.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Follow-up question: has anyone implemented any of the ideas described in the book in a process, manufacturing or otherwise? I would love to hear any success or failure stories.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Follow-up question: has anyone implemented any of the ideas described in the book in a process, manufacturing or otherwise? I would love to hear any success or failure stories.
Been many years since I read that book (some sort of process management class in b-school) but I still use some of the concepts when examining a broken process. The thing to remember is that much of the book's concepts are applicable in most any process not just manufacturing.
Over 5 millions people around the world have read The Goal since its 1st edition in 1983. It was considered by Time Magazine (August 2011) as one of the 25 most influential management book of the XXth Century. It's not only a must for students, it's a must for everybody involved in management. Its author, Eliyahu Goldratt (1947-2011) is the founder of a management approach and philosophy known under the name of Theory of Constraints or TOC. He was not only a best-sellers author (its other books : The Race, What is this Thing Called Theory of Constraints, The Haystack Syndrome, It's Not Luck, Critical Chain, Necessary but Not Sufficient, The Choice and Isn't Obvious) but also a successful consultant. Today more than 230 books have been written on the subject and among them The TOC Handbook (McGrawHill) - around 1200 pages written by famous TOC Experts, including Eli Goldratt. TOC states and demonstrates that the performance of every system, every organization can be dramatically improved by focusing improvement efforts on a very few parts (generally one) of a system, called the constraint. The constraint is whatever limits the global performance of any system. It can be a machine like in The Goal novel, a policy or a distorted vision of reality (a paradigm change is needed). TOC is based on three pillars : logic, intuition and emotion. That means that TOC managers have to use these 3 pillars to understand the reality. They are helped by using specific logic tools named Thinking Processes, created by Eli Goldratt. These tools are really powerful to find and communicate breakthrough solutions to complex problems in complex systems.
Did no one ever teach you that you can cut and paste anything you want with a footnote, but if you do not cite, it's plagiarism?

Last edited:

Joel-Henry

Reaction score
Nothing in my post justifies a quote. All of it is based on my knowledge of the subject, as a certified TOC practioner (FE, FMCP, TPCP) by TOCICO (Theory Of Constraints International Certification Organization).

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been many years since I read that book (some sort of process management class in b-school) but I still use some of the concepts when examining a broken process. The thing to remember is that much of the book's concepts are applicable in most any process not just manufacturing.
Did no one ever teach you that you can cut and paste anything you want with a footnote, but if you do not cite, it's plagiarism?
owned?
Nothing in my post justifies a quote. All of it is based on my knowledge of the subject, as a certified TOC practioner (FE, FMCP, TPCP) by TOCICO (Theory Of Constraints International Certification Organization).
OWNED!!!!!!!!
teacha.gif
....27K posts my @ss.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

owned?
OWNED!!!!!!!! :teach:  ....27K posts my @ss.

Well, owned if you buy a guy joined SF to say this and his veracity is not a concern. I was just making a crack but did not feel the need to call "bullshit" on this and his first post certainly read like a cut and paste conglomeration. Also, like one needs to have those qualifications to know the basics about a rather well known writer like this? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well, owned if you buy a guy joined SF to say this and his veracity is not a concern. I was just making a crack but did not feel the need to call "bullshit" on this and his first post certainly read like a cut and paste conglomeration. Also, like one needs to have those qualifications to know the basics about a rather well known writer like this? :rolleyes:

When I saw Joel-Henry's post I thought he copied and pasted from Wiki or something.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads