• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

H&M Slim Fit Dress Shirts = Best Value for Slim Builds

GQBaller

Reaction score
I had never really looked around H&M until today.

At $30 bucks, the slim fit shirts are an incredible value. I was considering buying some more high end shirts, but I think I'll fill out the rest of my wardrobe with H&M shirts.

The fit on me is great. Armholes could be a tad bit higher (may 0.5 to an 1 inch more), but I can live with that.

I'd also like to a see a better selection of collar shapes. Does anyone know if H&M does true, spread collars (RLBL style, etc.)?

I wanted to get a cheap, cotton, navy blazer but all they had were 36R's and 40R's (I'm a 38R).

Overall, H&M is my go-to store from now on.

Coal_Mining_Polak

Reaction score
I completely agree, the "terrible quality" issue is blown out of proportion. I have a lot of different items from H&M and the only problem I've ever had is a popped thread causing a tiny, easily-repaired hole on a sweater. My favorite pair of chinos are from H&M for $20, best bang for your buck anywhere IMO. Especially if you're < 25 and still in school
teacha.gif

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've posted a few times on H&amp;M on SF, but I recently tried on a cotton suit jacket, and I gotta tell ya, the fit was better than anything I've tried on of greater cost in a good while. With a wedding to go to in August I'm seriously thinking of buying a suit there. Since I don't wear suits on a regular basis, I think it would be good value.

GQBaller

Reaction score
Originally Posted by markdc
Does H&M sell shirts with traditional fabric patterns? I'm guessing they probably don't?

What do you mean by "traditional"?

If you mean basic plain colors, pinstripes, and ginghams then yes. None of their dress shirts were "off."

raiderbuck

Reaction score
I agree. I have two H&M slim fit dress shirts. I'm 6'0" 145...I'm a stick, and my H&M shirts are the best fitting shirts I've ever owned. Granted, I don't have the means to go MTM or full bespoke, so OTR is always my priority.

There are two H&M stores in Ohio, both in the Cleveland area. I've been trying to make a trip up there for a couple weeks now.

^^^To the above poster. My two H&M shirts are more traditionally patterned. One is an orange-ish red gingham pattern, and the other is a blue pinstripe pattern. The pinstripes are very small, from a distance the shirt just looks like a solid blue. Up close you can see the stripe detail.

Talbina

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dr Huh?
I've posted a few times on H&M on SF, but I recently tried on a cotton suit jacket, and I gotta tell ya, the fit was better than anything I've tried on of greater cost in a good while. With a wedding to go to in August I'm seriously thinking of buying a suit there. Since I don't wear suits on a regular basis, I think it would be good value.

That is something I wouldn't do.

Their suits are 300 dollars canadian and they don't go on sale.

You are much better buying something NEW from the Buy and Sell forum here. Many of the high end suits on here run for 300 in that forum.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is something I wouldn't do.

Their suits are 300 dollars canadian and they don't go on sale.
The wool suits are $300. I'm talking about cotton. They sell the suit jackets and pants separately, yet they can be worn together. The jacket I tried on was navy pinstripe, and I saw pants that were the same navy pinstripe. Now did I just try on a blazer that had the same pattern as the pants they were selling or can the two be paired and worn as a suit?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've tried their shirts. The fit is good, but I also don't like the collars. The nice spread one is really small. The longer ones aren't spread enough for my liking. The fabrics could be better too. On the even cheaper $20 shirts, they fit nice and slim, but the arm holes are much too low.

legolas1282

Reaction score
I also used to think that H&amp;M slim fit shirts were a best value, but it seems like the cut has changed in the past year or so. For example, one that I recently purchased has boxier shoulders and longer arms than one from a few years ago, and the rest that I tried on were the same way. Given this, I've started gravitating towards Banana Republic slim fits ($40 on sale) and BB luxury slim fits ($60 if timed right, and slimmer than the normal &quot;slim&quot; line).

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
their suits can be a great value too. i've got 3 linen, 1 cotton, and 2 wool from them that i got all on sale and they fit really really well. they are really easy to find on sale too, and with a few alterations they look like they cost 4x to 5x as much.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've got 3 linen, 1 cotton, and 2 wool from them that i got all on sale and they fit really really well.
Do they sell the cotton suits as a whole or in separates? This is going back to my previous question of H&M selling the jacket and pants separately, at two different prices (I think the jacket was $59 ad the pants $69). Are they meant to be worn individually or can they be worn together to make a suit?

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've bought a couple of pairs lately, and they don't wear great, but they aren't any worse than Gap quality-wise.

They come in nice patterns and I like the cut, so for $40.00 (a little more expensive here) they are a good value for a disposable shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads