• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Well, for one thing, it's prettier.

For another, I bet it snags less.

Plus you can shoot +Ps in it, which is better than any .380.

1) Pretty is for shoes and women. Carry guns are for utility.
2) Pocket holster will cure this. If I really need to draw I also don't care if I snag my pocket.
3) These guns are for face to face confrontations. I'll take my chances with the seven .380 bullets this will hold.

You've not made, at least to me, a compelling case as to why I would want a heavier and wider gun for pocket carry.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, for one thing, it's prettier.

For another, I bet it snags less.

Plus you can shoot +Ps in it, which is better than any .380.

1) Pretty is for shoes and women. Carry guns are for utility.
2) Pocket holster will cure this. If I really need to draw I also don't care if I snag my pocket.
3) These guns are for face to face confrontations. I'll take my chances with the seven .380 bullets this will hold.

You've not made, at least to me, a compelling case as to why I would want a heavier and wider gun for pocket carry.

With shoes as with women form should follow function.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I carry a 380 and don't feel the least bit under gunned. 7 rounds of BB hardcast +Ps are pretty potent. 31+ inches of ballistic gel penetration for a 380 is just awesome. In my snub 38 I carry BB 158gr hardcast +P Outdoorsman loads. No worries about penetration with those either.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd still take the wheelgun. If I were restricted to .380 I'd take a Browning 1910, that should be svelte enough for anyone.

It all still begs the question of how small does one really need to go. Are you going to the pool strapped? And if your carry piece is so small as to be comfortable enough for you to forget it's there, will you remember you have it when you need it?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I'd still take the wheelgun. If I were restricted to .380 I'd take a Browning 1910, that should be svelte enough for anyone.

It all still begs the question of how small does one really need to go. Are you going to the pool strapped? And if your carry piece is so small as to be comfortable enough for you to forget it's there, will you remember you have it when you need it?

That's not question begging...

However, the answer for me on "how small" is so it will not print in dress slacks. As to forgetting it's there...yeah, it's so easy to forget you're armed. The straws, they have been grasped.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please. We live in an era where folks shoot themselves in the john at the bingo hall when their Jennings falls from the waistband.

If I ever need to carry again I'd feel better with something substantial enough to require a proper belt and holster.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Please. We live in an era where folks shoot themselves in the john at the bingo hall when their Jennings falls from the waistband.

If I ever need to carry again I'd feel better with something substantial enough to require a proper belt and holster.

So why then are you in a conversation about pocket carry? I also luckily do not play bingo let alone go to them armed...so there goes that straw too.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I forget, are we supposed to be keeping score here? I was merely stating my preference. No need to take it personally.

I prefer the old Bodyguard. It's a classic piece and has more throw weight in the bargain. I think it's kinda precious for S&W to name one of their new plastimatics after it. I'm also not a big fan of pocket carry, just like I'm not a big fan of off body carry. If you have to do those things, fine. But they are not optimal carry methods, and if you aren't carrying because you HAVE to, why cut corners?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I forget, are we supposed to be keeping score here? I was merely stating my preference. No need to take it personally.

I prefer the old Bodyguard. It's a classic piece and has more throw weight in the bargain. I think it's kinda precious for S&W to name one of their new plastimatics after it. I'm also not a big fan of pocket carry, just like I'm not a big fan of off body carry. If you have to do those things, fine. But they are not optimal carry methods, and if you aren't carrying because you HAVE to, why cut corners?

Keeping score? All I did was ask if anyone has experience with a particular gun in question. Your choice of a reply was to inform me this was not the "real one" and toss up a gun with clearly inferior properties for the purpose of the gun I asked for information on. From there you decided, when I reasonably pointed out why your example would be inferior to the purpose I specifically want, that you do not believe in that type of gun. Now your rant has ramped up to argue with the ******* name of the gun and lecture me on optimal carry methods. :laugh:

And I'm taking this personally? Puh-leeze.

Here's an idea: just tell me you've never shot the gun and have nothing useful to add.

Last edited:

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've shot plenty of J frames, more than a few .380s, and a few (full size) plastimatics.

In general my beef with the .380 is that more often than not pistols chambered for it are simple blowback, but the cartridge is just powerful enough to give you the worst of both worlds: sharp recoil, and not enough velocity to expand a JHP. Which is why Crane mentioned the hot wadcutter load.

Now maybe this new bodyguard has a locked breech. Some folks are being clever with pocket autos that way, thinking that with the locked breech, they can make .380s and ,32s even smaller. I don't know if this one has a locked breech, as I've never shot one. Try not to let your head explode now.

But in anycase it would still be a small pistol with I suspect a sharp recoil; sharper than a properly designed full caliber pistol. Have you ever fired more than 50 rounds at a time through a PPK? I have. It feels like you've been punching the heel of your palm all day.

It just seems to me there are better choices out there, of both pistol and how/when to carry it.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, not to dig in further, but a laser is probably not a great idea for a carry gun.

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't realize there were a lot of gun enthusiasts on SF.

I currently own a Browning A-Bolt .270 win and a Winchester 9422. My next gun purchase will be a Mossberg 500 Persuader 12ga for HD. I would also like to get a handgun at some point, probably a 1911 .45 ACP

Sent from my iPhone

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I've shot plenty of J frames, more than a few .380s, and a few (full size) plastimatics.

In general my beef with the .380 is that more often than not pistols chambered for it are simple blowback, but the cartridge is just powerful enough to give you the worst of both worlds: sharp recoil, and not enough velocity to expand a JHP. Which is why Crane mentioned the hot wadcutter load.

Now maybe this new bodyguard has a locked breech. Some folks are being clever with pocket autos that way, thinking that with the locked breech, they can make .380s and ,32s even smaller. I don't know if this one has a locked breech, as I've never shot one. Try not to let your head explode now.

But in anycase it would still be a small pistol with I suspect a sharp recoil; sharper than a properly designed full caliber pistol. Have you ever fired more than 50 rounds at a time through a PPK? I have. It feels like you've been punching the heel of your palm all day.

It just seems to me there are better choices out there, of both pistol and how/when to carry it.

Reviews have noted the low recoil of this gun.

I do not plan to shoot 50 rounds at a time from this gun.

It is a straw man to keep on about carry methods. The method in question is pocket carry. If a need should arise pocket carry is 100% preferable to having no gun if one is of the opinion having a gun is preferable.

If you can tell me these better choices for pocket carry, using objective metrics like price, weight, width, and performance I am all ears. Let us eliminate choices that have not been manufactured for 30 years as I believe is the case for the Browning you specifically mentioned. Otherwise I will consider our conversation regarding my question of experience in shooting a specific gun closed.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Reviews have noted the low recoil of this gun.

I do not plan to shoot 50 rounds at a time from this gun.

It is a straw man to keep on about carry methods. The method in question is pocket carry. If a need should arise pocket carry is 100% preferable to having no gun if one is of the opinion having a gun is preferable.

If you can tell me these better choices for pocket carry, using objective metrics like price, weight, width, and performance I am all ears. Let us eliminate choices that have not been manufactured for 30 years as I believe is the case for the Browning you specifically mentioned. Otherwise I will consider our conversation regarding my question of experience in shooting a specific gun closed.

http://pinfireguns.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=1

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Glad you're not taking this personally.

:laugh:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads