• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Greatest quarterback ever

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Too lazy to read the thread, but why in football, a game with 22 starters (excluding special teams) are championships deemed so essential to a quarteback's worth?

Makes no sense to me.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
It was either Peter King or Peter Vessie (SP?) that led a campaign to keep Art Monk out of the HOF. I think it was King.

I followed Peter King's anti-Art Monk campaign closely, because I'm a Redskins fan and Monk used to be my favorite player. He changed his opinion in late 2006 in this column. King eventually became very supportive of Monk's candidacy.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Warren Moon. Only quarterback to be inducted into the NFL and CFL hall of fames.
teacha.gif

ClassyGuy1

Reaction score
I'm going to go with Johnny Unitas. I mean, the man holds the record for most consecutive games with a TD pass (49).

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to go with Johnny Unitas. I mean, the man holds the record for most consecutive games with a TD pass (49).

didnt dimaggio hit something like .310 during his 56 game hit streak?

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Too lazy to read the thread, but why in football, a game with 22 starters (excluding special teams) are championships deemed so essential to a quarteback's worth?

Makes no sense to me.

The ball is in their hands at some point on nearly every play, but I see your point.

A better way of looking at it would be their playoff resume, that is, did they play well in those games but their team let them down? Or did they play poorly enough that they didn't give their team a chance? You could've composed a decent argument that the latter was the case for Peyton in some years, but I think those days are long behind him. Or you could've made the argument that he was unfortunate enough to play in the Brady/Belichick era, and that any offense would've had trouble against them, especially playing in Foxborough in the winter. It's probably a little of both.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find streaks where a player accomplishes something for X number of straight games to be a little silly. For instance, the Colts kept Manning throwing the ball at the end of the Titans game earlier this week; even though, the Colts were up big. Why? So he could continue his 300 yard streak.

I heard a story recently about Art Monk, who had a consecutive game catch streak going. There was an assistant whose job it was to approach Joe Gibbs if it was late in the game and let him know if Monk hadn't caught a pass yet. Gibbs would then call a really basic play that would be a quick throw to Monk to make sure he got his catch.

This stuff happens all the time. Consecutive game streaks are nice. They're often indicative of something kinda coll. Ultimately, they can be kind of meaningless, though.

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yea, thats it. i saw a bunch of stats of ichiro and one of them was that over a 2.5 month period, close to the same time of Mags streak, he hit something like .430 which is more impressive? its not that uncommon for players to hit .400 for a month or more at a time is it? /endderail

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Rick Mirer probably made the most money for the least amount of work. Depending on how you look at it, that's pretty remarkable.
smile.gif

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
It was either Peter King or Peter Vessie (SP?) that led a campaign to keep Art Monk out of the HOF. I think it was King.

I took the original post as starting discussion, not an endorsement of King's opinion. But yes, it was King who helped block art monk. I thought the attending fans, teammates and outpouring of respect for Monk at his induction was one of the great rebukes ever.

On radio, shortly after Monk's induction, King admitted that he was again overwhelmed by what coaches and teammates said about Monk at the HOF. I had to turn it off when King again tried to explain away his earlier stance.

King represents everything bad about the legacy media, and nothing good.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
I took the original post as starting discussion, not an endorsement of King's opinion. But yes, it was King who helped block art monk. I thought the attending fans, teammates and outpouring of respect for Monk at his induction was one of the great rebukes ever.

On radio, shortly after Monk's induction, King admitted that he was again overwhelmed by what coaches and teammates said about Monk at the HOF. I had to turn it off when King again tried to explain away his earlier stance.

King represents everything bad about the legacy media, and nothing good.

I didn't mean to infer that you had felt one way or another about King, I just happen to remember him on my local sport talk 980 radio station dissing Art Monk a few years ago. It really stuck with me.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
So, you stopped watching football 3 years ago?
confused.gif

Does Manning even have a winning record in the playoffs?

Check out Mannings playoff stats the year the Colts won the SB. They're bad (with the sole exception of the second half of the AFCCG). They won with defense that year.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
Does Manning even have a winning record in the playoffs?

Check out Mannings playoff stats the year the Colts won the SB. They're bad (with the sole exception of the second half of the AFCCG). They won with defense that year.

No, he is 7-8. The greatest quarterback of all times is 4-0 in the Super Bowl, with a rating in those games of 127.8, eleven touchdowns and no interceptions, not that Super Bowls matter for quarterbacks at all.
rolleyes.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics