• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Greatest Living Author?

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd pose this question to SF, one of the few forums I frequent with semi-literate membership. Which living author has put out the best stuff? Philip Roth, Don DeLillo, and Thomas Pynchon are at the top of my list, but I'd choose Cormac McCarthy if I had to pick one person. When I get more time, I'll write why...

Your choices?

Jsoftz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
I thought I'd pose this question to SF, one of the few forums I frequent with semi-literate membership. Which living author has put out the best stuff? Philip Roth, Don DeLillo, and Thomas Pynchon are at the top of my list, but I'd choose Cormac McCarthy if I had to pick one person. When I get more time, I'll write why...

Your choices?

I had a professor who very, very fervently believed Cormac McCarthy was the greatest living author. It was a political theory class, and we had to read Blood Meridian in conjunction with Leviathan. Of course, we read lots of books in that class, but the only one by a living author was Blood Meridian.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Pynchon or Gabriel Garcia Marquez (he's still alive, right?) for me. I got turned off Delillo after Cosmopolis.

Edit: I really like Tom Wolfe, too, but Pynchon and Marquez have more depth to their writing.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
Gabriel Garcia Marquez (he's still alive, right?)

Yeah, he's still alive, and he'd be on my short list, too.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vikram Seth. Brilliant writer, poet, author. He wrote the longest novel in the English language called: "A Suitable Boy". The best novel I've read by a living author to date.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
I got turned off Delillo after Cosmopolis.

So Cosmopolis and Falling Man turned you off him because...? Is the subject matter not Delilloesque enough? I thought the former was ok for a novella. I'm looking forward to the latter in pb.

The cognoscenti frequently murmur Rushdie's name, too.

wiru

Reaction score
the public prefer dead poets and they are right. a poet who isn't dead is an anachronism. -- jean cocteau

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can take or leave DeLillo - I enjoyed "White Noise" and "Underworld", but haven't really been too enamoured of his other works.

Pynchon affects me similarly - I loved "Vineland" and "The Crying of Lot 49", but found some of his other works to be more effort than enjoyment.

I don't know if they deserve the "greatest living" title, but a couple of authors whose works I really do thoroughly enjoy are Haruki Murakami and Thomas Keneally. Keneally is an Australian author - I'm not sure how well-known he is in the wider world, although he did write "Schindler's Ark", later made into a film by Spielberg (although "Ark" was changed to "List" in the film).

If Vonnegut wasn't dead, he'd make it into my list, too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads