• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1038879
Mine as well. I bought them barely used to see how a 10 would fit. Can’t wait to get some miles on them.
Does the 10 fit you well? Is it your Brannock size?
I have found that 1/2 down from my usual is darn near perfect for me. If I go with usual size, I can wear the prescribed orthotics that Podiatrist says I "should" wear, but I prefer boots with out them and what the heck, I'm 65 in a couple of weeks and so what if I have a missing ligament in one ankle and should wear the orthotics for "stability". After 15 years, I've learned how to stabilize myself without them.

DuckOB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine have become one of my favorite pair of boots lately, fit is just spot on and they are beginning to patina really nicely.
Yours look great @audog! and your saddle tan's are giving me the urge to buy another pair! keep sharing the progress on those!!

DuckOB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does the 10 fit you well? Is it your Brannock size?
I have found that 1/2 down from my usual is darn near perfect for me. If I go with usual size, I can wear the prescribed orthotics that Podiatrist says I "should" wear, but I prefer boots with out them and what the heck, I'm 65 in a couple of weeks and so what if I have a missing ligament in one ankle and should wear the orthotics for "stability". After 15 years, I've learned how to stabilize myself without them.
Haha that is a trick question. I prolly need a 9.5e but haven't gone thru the trial. the 10 d's give me the toe space I need and am happy. I have orthotics as well but don't need them in the GS, Vibergs (9.5) and barrie (9 d or e) lasts. I belive its best to strengthen the feet versus wearing them all the time. its a delicate balance :) I am sure the boots help give you the stability shoes don't. My feet are tricky!

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last night the Ottawas got rained on a fair bit. We took refuge in a scruffy Korean BBQ joint...
iz4HYfR.jpg

0dbYvM3.jpg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Haha that is a trick question. I prolly need a 9.5e but haven't gone thru the trial. the 10 d's give me the toe space I need and am happy. I have orthotics as well but don't need them in the GS, Vibergs (9.5) and barrie (9 d or e) lasts. I belive its best to strengthen the feet versus wearing them all the time. its a delicate balance :) I am sure the boots help give you the stability shoes don't. My feet are tricky!
Mine are tricky as well, missing a ligament (blew it and it is GONE according to the MRI's). Podiatrist said surgery was a possibility, but at my age at the time he "didn't advise it as it probably wouldn't heal correctly", so prescribed orthotics to keep my foot in proper geometry. Boots do help a bunch with ankle support, and the orthotics cause conflicts with arch support in some footwear, so I try to avoid them if I can. Some boots (Alden TB last) really are more comfy with them in. More info than anyone here ever wanted to know. Have a great evening.

Josh Lange

Reaction score
Are you taking pre-orders for Ivory Suede Ottawa boots?? If so, I will take an 8.5D as I have found that 8.5 in Ottawa fits fine and I don't have to wear the orthotics :) :)

More so just wondering if there is enough interest

Whirling

Reaction score
I got my two new pairs of Grant Stone boots and am generally quite pleased with them. My Castagno boots are comjng along nicely. The last is truly a comfortable, incorporating solid orthopedic principles, as one would expect given the experience of the team.

My question, though, is should the following little hole prompt a replacement? (I have not even tried on the boots.) I have seen a similar hole on Dayton boots. I understand it to be a hole used to guide the stitching of the uppers, rather than an errant needle hole from the stitching process itself.

CD475117-8DAE-44BC-AFC1-C942326F627E.jpeg

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I got my two new pairs of Grant Stone boots and am generally quite pleased with them. My Castagno boots are comjng along nicely. The last is truly a comfortable, incorporating solid orthopedic principles, as one would expect given the experience of the team.

My question, though, is should the following little hole prompt a replacement? (I have not even tried on the boots.) I have seen a similar hole on Dayton boots. I understand it to be a hole used to guide the stitching of the uppers, rather than an errant needle hole from the stitching process itself.

View attachment 1039426

That is correct, the quarters were just attached and stitched a touch too far back. If you would like to exchange them, please let us know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads