• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve recently moved on a few pairs that don’t see much wear and now nearly have the guilt free funds for the Crimson Ottawa I’ve been eyeing. More than likely going to find its way to my doorstep in the next few weeks.
You will love the crimson Ottawa boot! The Crimson Diesel is no slouch either, maybe you need both?

DRJames

Reaction score
You will love the crimson Ottawa boot! The Crimson Diesel is no slouch either, maybe you need both?
I’ve definitely thought about it! I’m still loving my Brown HMs in that role right now, I think I’d do the Castagno or (and?) the Saddle Tan Diesal first. I’ve also told myself that after the next bonus I’ll finally pick up the Indy boot. I’m thinking it’s going to be a good boot season this year.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve definitely thought about it! I’m still loving my Brown HMs in that role right now, I think I’d do the Castagno or (and?) the Saddle Tan Diesal first. I’ve also told myself that after the next bonus I’ll finally pick up the Indy boot. I’m thinking it’s going to be a good boot season this year.
Well the Saddle Tan Diesel is still leather sole so that is a plus in my book. Check out GS B-stock page as well I don't know your size but they may have something of interest there as well. I have the Castagno's and really like them, but then again I don't have any GS that I don't like.

AJ1

Reaction score
Look great! Pants look nice as well. What are they?

I spent all day on my feet today in a convention center. The tan cap toes did really well!
K7tP3Z4.jpg

(bad hotel-room tile...)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Epaulet Indigo wool/silk donegal - love them
Had to go back and look at the trousers, they are damn nice. I need to find a source for dressier trousers as walking dog 2+ miles a day and I have lost weight over the past 1.5 years, so a lot of my dressier trousers are a bit large now. If I hadn't had them made for me, I wouldn't be so reluctant to just replace them. Haven't had Epaulet trousers, but from all the glowing reports on SF, may have to try them. Oh and to keep it on task, they look great with those Grant Stone cap toes.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had to go back and look at the trousers, they are damn nice. I need to find a source for dressier trousers as walking dog 2+ miles a day and I have lost weight over the past 1.5 years, so a lot of my dressier trousers are a bit large now. If I hadn't had them made for me, I wouldn't be so reluctant to just replace them. Haven't had Epaulet trousers, but from all the glowing reports on SF, may have to try them. Oh and to keep it on task, they look great with those Grant Stone cap toes.

They may not be as highly rated as Epaulet, but I can't recommend Spier and Mackay enough. I've completely upped the dressier portion of my wardrobe from them this year.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They may not be as highly rated as Epaulet, but I can't recommend Spier and Mackay enough. I've completely upped the dressier portion of my wardrobe from them this year.
Will check them out as well. The problem is, my stuff still "fits", just not as spot on as I would like, and every $ I spend on pants/shirts is less I can spend on footwear. Yet another First World Problem.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will check them out as well. The problem is, my stuff still "fits", just not as spot on as I would like, and every $ I spend on pants/shirts is less I can spend on footwear. Yet another First World Problem.

Sounds like a trip to the tailor would would be easier and more cost effective.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sounds like a trip to the tailor would would be easier and more cost effective.
I will more than likely do just that as I have an excellent tailor, doesn't speak very good English but damn is she good(and fast and inexpensive) plus is supporting a family. She is immigrant from Vietnam, and is doing the American Dream thing - start your own business and become successful. Great quality and now very busy because of her excellent work.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
These look amazing. I really like the eye shaped cutout on the penny strap. Am I remembering that the last samples that you showed us were a half-moon cutout? I like both honestly. You guys are building out a very solid product lineup with the addition of a loafer. It really is looking like all my next shoe purchases are going to be Grant Stone. Any chance the loafer will be offered in the British Tan Calfskin?

Also, while I am asking questions about minutiae, what was the reasoning with going with six eyelets on the cap toe balmoral as opposed to the more common five eyelets? I really like the six eyelet look with an American shaped last and was just curious if you had more insight on it / any history to share.

Sorry for the slow reply!

We did have the standard half moon originally but I really like full circle look, without rounding the corners. It just gives a different feel and makes the strap look a bit smaller.

My Dad was adamant about the 6 eyelets on the cap toe. He always felt adding the 6th eyelet helped hold the heel in place. This pattern does have a nice heel fit, hugs really well.

Whirling

Reaction score
Sorry for the slow reply!

We did have the standard half moon originally but I really like full circle look, without rounding the corners. It just gives a different feel and makes the strap look a bit smaller.

I might make the cut-hole a tad bigger and put a purely-decorative row of stitches around. The shape is good, though. Here is an example purely for comparison from one of your competitors.

A61BEA10-1381-4874-B893-E682A0C6FFD0.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads