• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keyser_Söze

Reaction score
As long as Grant Stone can stay under $400 I think it's still worthwhile. Their problem will be if they go above that because I just don't think I can look at the aesthetic of a Grant Stone boot and think I want to spend $400+ on one. They just don't have the visual polish of that price range. It's the same reason I won't buy their boots in cordovan shell. I am really thinking about buying the Garrison boot though but the color I want is basically sold out. That's a great looking boot for the price.

I am actually rather interested in their loafers but I'm not eager to figure out sizing for an online brand. Their boots were easy to figure out but loafers are much harder.

Last edited:

707Matt

Reaction score
Did you try many other brands before Grant Stone? I think it is certainly fair to feel let down because we all have our own evolving standards and experiences. it's just that most of us have had very good experiences with Grant Stone.

Personally, I would not have kept the Badalassi pair. Whether it truly affects the structural integrity or not I feel the exposed welt stitches are unacceptable. The other pairs all look good to me even if not 'perfect'. The single hole on the side doesn't bother me very much, but it does remind me of my first pair of Alden Indy boots. The quarters seemed to have been sewn on wrong, removed, and resewn. There were either 2 or 4 holes on the vamp because of that. These were also not sold as factory seconds.

Interestingly, my first pair of Grant Stone was also my worst pair. It was a pair of crimson CXL cap toe boots, and a few of the quarter panels looks pretty gnarly out of the box. I wore them anyway because I thought well maybe it'll just blend in over time, but after a few days I decided they weren't for me. I was able to work out a deal with customer service and got the tan calfskin cap toe boots instead. It was a safer pick because aesthetically bad breaks on calfskin are much less common.

Ever since then I haven't had much to complain about. I would admit that I would love if the breaks were tighter on the vamps of my two current CXL pairs. Particularly on the left boots. That sort of thing bugs me a lot for a day or two. Then I just have to live with it or move onto something else. It will always be safer for my preferences to go with calfskin or other leathers that aren't as prone to looser breaks like cowhide can sometimes have, but I have trouble finding anyone making exactly what I am looking for. Especially at the price range I look at.

I notice these sorts of flaws on a lot of my clothing as well. My newest jacket has some really janky looking chest pockets. IMO they should have been redone, factory seconds, or just scrapped altogether. It's silly given that the jacket goes for $600-700 new. I happened to get it on sale for half price since it is last year's version, but even the flaws seem crazy for the price. Beyond that there were loose threads in at least 4 spots. My other jacket from this same brand had broken stitches in two spots brand new. Also crazy given it is a $425 jacket. I handsewed along the seams where the stitches where bad, and all is well.. But for the price it's very questionable. This brand is 0-2 for me, haha. Lucky for them the jackets fit me well. Most brands jackets seem too short or two wide for my preferences depending on the size.
I appreciate you sharing your experiences. Outside of Red Wing work boots, Grant Stone, my Badalassi pair, are my first pair of "real" boots. I did not want them once I noticed the issues on the left boot, but already wore them. I was repeatedly told they are fine and only offered the B grade price.

Every boot with a flaw has been the left boot. I actually kind of pleaded with Wyatt about the Badalassi boots. I mentioned I live in southern California and ride a motorcycle. I told him these boots will be seen by a lot of people. That has proven to be true as I regularly talk to strangers when asked about them. Each time I try to tell them the greatness of the boots, the leather, and Grant Stone. I would say roughly 1/3 of the folks notice and point out the left boot even though I try to put the right one forward.

I was able to exchange the black CXL, and Giovanni picked out a pair that were exactly what I was looking for! Thanks Giovanni!

The Earth boots are just too tight, so they don't get worn often. The sizing is all on me and my fault. Therefore the crooked piece in the back doesn't bother me, but has caused me problems trying to resell.

On my Forest Kudu Cap toes, I did not notice the slightly sloppy welt stitching (left boot) until after a few wears. I don't care a whole lot about that because I love them, but I wish I never saw that. It's kind of like a little scratch on your car that nobody notices, but your eyes fixate on it every time you look. Almost seems like the person stitching the welt lost focus.

Yes, at that price point, one would assume the stitching would be above average. That is why we pay above average prices. I was raised on, "you get what you pay for." That is why I am willing to pay for quality. It is just a bit disappointing when you pay the extra (or A grade price) and end up with B grade products.

All in all, I love my boots. I just love the perfect right boots more than the flawed left boots. Lol

woodenbits

Reaction score
I am actually rather interested in their loafers but I'm not eager to figure out sizing for an online brand. Their boots were easy to figure out but loafers are much harder.
Grant Stone loafers converted me from loafer-hater to loafer-lover. Never thought I am going to enjoy loafers that much. Unlike most loafers that are pretty narrow, tapered and sleek-looking, GS loafers are a tiny bit 'bulbous' in the ball of the foot. Because of that, they are not only more comfortable, but look a bit more casual as well. Win-win in my book.
Also, I got lucky with loafer sizing. After trying 2-3 sizes in boots, still can't figure out perfect fit, but with loafers I struck gold the very first time - 12D and would not change a thing.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish loafers fit me. I love both Grant Stone and Rancourt loafers, but they are so loose I could slide right out of them even with multiple tonguepads stacked. Think my feet just aren't very loafer friendly unless it's the perfect last and design (or bespoke)

Ash206

Reaction score
I wish loafers fit me. I love both Grant Stone and Rancourt loafers, but they are so loose I could slide right out of them even with multiple tonguepads stacked. Think my feet just aren't very loafer friendly unless it's the perfect last and design (or bespoke)
What’s your brannock size and feet volume (e.g. low/med) ?

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What’s your brannock size and feet volume (e.g. low/med) ?
9.5D. Low volume, low instep, low arches, pronating feet. My preference may be for a more snug fit as well. I am sure some people are perfectly content with fairly loose loafers. I don't like loafers that feel like I can walk right out of them if I don't walk in a particularly careful manner.

basu13

Reaction score
Did you try many other brands before Grant Stone? I think it is certainly fair to feel let down because we all have our own evolving standards and experiences. it's just that most of us have had very good experiences with Grant Stone.

Personally, I would not have kept the Badalassi pair. Whether it truly affects the structural integrity or not I feel the exposed welt stitches are unacceptable. The other pairs all look good to me even if not 'perfect'. The single hole on the side doesn't bother me very much, but it does remind me of my first pair of Alden Indy boots. The quarters seemed to have been sewn on wrong, removed, and resewn. There were either 2 or 4 holes on the vamp because of that. These were also not sold as factory seconds.

Interestingly, my first pair of Grant Stone was also my worst pair. It was a pair of crimson CXL cap toe boots, and a few of the quarter panels looks pretty gnarly out of the box. I wore them anyway because I thought well maybe it'll just blend in over time, but after a few days I decided they weren't for me. I was able to work out a deal with customer service and got the tan calfskin cap toe boots instead. It was a safer pick because aesthetically bad breaks on calfskin are much less common.

Ever since then I haven't had much to complain about. I would admit that I would love if the breaks were tighter on the vamps of my two current CXL pairs. Particularly on the left boots. That sort of thing bugs me a lot for a day or two. Then I just have to live with it or move onto something else. It will always be safer for my preferences to go with calfskin or other leathers that aren't as prone to looser breaks like cowhide can sometimes have, but I have trouble finding anyone making exactly what I am looking for. Especially at the price range I look at.

I notice these sorts of flaws on a lot of my clothing as well. My newest jacket has some really janky looking chest pockets. IMO they should have been redone, factory seconds, or just scrapped altogether. It's silly given that the jacket goes for $600-700 new. I happened to get it on sale for half price since it is last year's version, but even then the flaws seem crazy for the price. Beyond that there were loose threads in at least 4 spots. My other jacket from this same brand had broken stitches in two spots brand new. Also crazy given it is a $425 jacket. I handsewed along the seams where the stitches where bad, and all is well.. But for the price it's very questionable. This brand is 0-2 for me, haha. Lucky for them the jackets fit me well. Most brands jackets seem too short or two wide for my preferences depending on the size.
Off topic but how about some pics of your tan calf Captoes in their current state? Would be great to see how they have developed after all the wear till now.

woodenbits

Reaction score
9.5D. Low volume, low instep, low arches, pronating feet. My preference may be for a more snug fit as well. I am sure some people are perfectly content with fairly loose loafers. I don't like loafers that feel like I can walk right out of them if I don't walk in a particularly careful manner.
I feel your pain. You are likely to need some sort of insole in any loafer to take up extra volume, even if it is just a thin leather insole. My past loafers were exactly of the kind where I would step right out of them if I was not careful. GS loafers are easy to get in and out, but stay right on my feet without me thinking about it. Never thought that kind of fit was even possible, but apparently it is. But I am in 'average volume, average instep, low arches, pronating feet' camp.

Moostyle

Reaction score
If this is the case do you not just need to size down, or is the toe space an issue?

basu13

Reaction score
Crimson Ottawas and saddle tan Diesels.

IMG_20240127_140458.jpg

Waxed

Reaction score
If I wear 11.5EE in AE loafers (Randolph), would that be a 12D or E in Grant Stone? Can I wear the loafers barefoot without heel slip? Thanks.

(I wear 12D in Leo/Floyd)

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
Hi all! Sorry to break containment on B/S/T but I just put up a large amount of Grant Stones in different sizes. Most are BNIB or with 1-3 wears:

Waxed

Reaction score
Is there any way to get the almost black parts of the leather not black? Oh, and here are my Vibram outsoles. View attachment 2119827 View attachment 2119829
My red wings did that around the same, high friction areas. I think it’s tanning compounds being worked up to the surface of the leather and oxidizing.

If you take a little Venetian on a dry microfiber cloth and rub a little into the blackened areas, the solvents in the cream should take it right off

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain. You are likely to need some sort of insole in any loafer to take up extra volume, even if it is just a thin leather insole. My past loafers were exactly of the kind where I would step right out of them if I was not careful. GS loafers are easy to get in and out, but stay right on my feet without me thinking about it. Never thought that kind of fit was even possible, but apparently it is. But I am in 'average volume, average instep, low arches, pronating feet' camp.
Yea. I imagine an insole could help some people. I did try a few, but they admittedly were not of the leather variety. Insoles I find have positives and negative for slip ons. The instep could fit better but my heel will also be that much closer to sliding out with an insole. Perhaps I will give loafers another try eventually to revisit the 'issue'. It's been a good 3 or so years since I have tried any loafers.

If this is the case do you not just need to size down, or is the toe space an issue?
My brannock size is 9.5D. I have tried 9D and 8.5D. I don't think I can go down any further. Additionally, with Rancourt I tried 9D, but those run more TTS so 9D was already a little tight in the toes while being very loose elsewhere.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamalrahimany