• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

707Matt

Reaction score
And the world is a better place!
20231224_160038.jpg

Attachments

• 20231224_160025.jpg
    20231224_160025.jpg
    554.9 KB · Views: 123

MrOxford

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice! Actually, my memory failed me when I was writing that post - she had those boots for only 6 months, not a full year. So, yes, she got some serious mileage on them in those 6 months. Her rough estimate was close to 1 million steps, which translates to about 300-400 miles. After some agonizing, I ended up going DIY route for now, and applied small pieces of 2mm toplift rubber to toes and heel area like one would apply plastic toe/heel taps, but those were rubber 'half-moon' pieces cut to the outside profile of the sole and glued with barge cement, so no clicking noise, no scratches on hardwood floor, no extra slippage, and it also ended up looking much better than I expected. Time will show how that holds up. No self-respecting cobbler would do it, because it is pretty labor/time intensive for the limited benefit to the customer, but for me, that was a fun project. And it will buy us more time to decide what the next sole should be - given that rain and snow are frequent guests here in PA, I am partial to the idea of a ridgeway sole. Or Vibram Tygum V-bar sole.
Sadly, I gave boots back without snapping photos of the finished DIY project, so going to post just a photo of a post-conditioning patina on them. That Dune CXL is indeed a patina monster leather.
I'm glad to read that the DIY project turned out alright for you. :) Thanks for sharing. And Merry Christmas!

woodenbits

Reaction score
Well, if we are exchanging silly GS jokes here around virtual Christmas table... somebody needs to send Grant Stone tassel loafers to Carl Murawski for review on his youtube channel.

Radboots

Reaction score
They really do look great. I have been waiting for a particular wide size restock on Iron Rangers but damned if those aren't meeting my inner cap toe desires...

DanielJ52

Reaction score
They really do look great. I have been waiting for a particular wide size restock on Iron Rangers but damned if those aren't meeting my inner cap toe desires...
They're both great boots! I own Iron Rangers in CR&T, but I find them to be much more casual.

Radboots

Reaction score
Iron Rangers and Wolverine 1000 Mile boots are more casual boots

Oh, totally. I want the IR in my lineup because it is iconic but what actually fits what I need more is something that can dress up or down. Plus, GS fits me a hell of a lot better.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, totally. I want the IR in my lineup because it is iconic but what actually fits what I need more is something that can dress up or down. Plus, GS fits me a hell of a lot better.
Have had a couple pair of IR's in the past, just can't get the fit right on them so sold them off. No problem with GS/Alden/AE and 1000Mile boots. Never could explain it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads