• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

connersw

Reaction score
Who do you like for no show socks to wear with your Traveller's? My favorite are the older Smartwool's that had elastic around the mouth. They did away with that and the newer ones seem to slip the heel often. I need a few more pairs.
I've switched to these women's Darn Tough ones for loafers and boat shoes: https://darntough.com/products/wome...no-show-invisible-lightweight-lifestyle-socks

I still use the men's no show hidden version for other shoes, but they come up too high on the vamp to be completely no show with loafers where the women's version works better.

The large fits my size 10 Brannock foot just fine. Can typically find them for 30% off ~once a quarter or so from Sock Addict, Domestic Domestic, etc.

707Matt

Reaction score
Well, I don’t have too much experience with them yet. Just received them last night. But first impressions: beautiful leather both in and out. Nice roughout on the inside heal I suppose to help with heal slip. They seem a bit more stiff than the average sneaker, but of course these don’t pretend to be the average sneaker. Seems to me they have a leather lined foam insole. I read somewhere they prototyped a veg tan leather insole and it just didn’t work nor was it comfortable. And for sneakers I get it. These aren’t meant to be your decades long re-soleable pass me downs. But they should definitively hold up better than the average sneaker at your local sporting goods store. The Vibram cup sole is not only glued on but stitched, which is a nice touch of added durability. I guess the sneaker will last as long as the Vibram cup sole lasts. I have zero experience with this sole, so we will see how long that holds up. I don’t wear sneakers on the daily, so I expect to see these in my rotation for a good number of years.
Great breakdown! I look forward to watching these sneakers along their journey.

mr bubbles

Reaction score
Chillin day one

Attachments

• C0C80762-6FF0-4EBD-A5C2-A5BFEEE04BAA.jpeg
    C0C80762-6FF0-4EBD-A5C2-A5BFEEE04BAA.jpeg
    674.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 495E93F0-A79E-46FA-A1E6-F23E49F04230.jpeg
    495E93F0-A79E-46FA-A1E6-F23E49F04230.jpeg
    211.3 KB · Views: 125

mr bubbles

Reaction score
My GS 2023 collection (so far)…

I’ve never been a shoe guy (mainly flip flops and crappy sneakers), then that all changed when I discovered GS this year. I guess now I’m all in? Hahaha. Will it ever stop? My best shoe for years were my Iron Rangers, which I still have and are great, with the cork nitrile soles. Great soles btw. Now I have three quality additions with more on my mind. Dirty bucks anyone?

Attachments

• 213DE7EC-661F-48FB-9FDF-AC8A5563A488.jpeg
    213DE7EC-661F-48FB-9FDF-AC8A5563A488.jpeg
    327.2 KB · Views: 158
  • 9005DBA1-84ED-4AE8-BB09-81A751EA8259.jpeg
    9005DBA1-84ED-4AE8-BB09-81A751EA8259.jpeg
    305.1 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

basu13

Reaction score
My GS 2023 collection (so far)…

I’ve never been a shoe guy (mainly flip flops and crappy sneakers), then that all changed when I discovered GS this year. I guess now I’m all in? Hahaha. Will it ever stop? My best shoe for years were my Iron Rangers, which I still have and are great, with the cork nitrile soles. Great soles btw. Now I have three quality additions with more on my mind. Dirty bucks anyone?
Possibly a pair of Ottawas or captoe boots to round out this initial collection?

mr bubbles

Reaction score
Possibly a pair of Ottawas or captoe boots to round out this initial collection?
Possibly. We’ll see where my stylistic journey takes me. I like the captoes, however in my mind I already have that box checked off with my 8111 Iron Rangers, tho obviously less dressy and refined than the GStone caps. The Ottawas haven’t really captured me yet, though I never thought I would swing for the Minerva and storm kudu colors. So you never know.

Last edited:

mr bubbles

Reaction score
@GrantStone re soles, what is your opinion of cork nitrile soles? Have you ever considered them? I have them on my Iron Rangers and am very pleased with how they wear and are holding up. I understand they are also used on the Alden Indy’s. Both very iconic boots. Is is simply a matter of current popularity and stylistic winds? That everybody nowadays wants some sort of lug? Or is it economics? More expensive? I have no clue and just wanted to get your thoughts on this.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@GrantStone re soles, what is your opinion of cork nitrile soles? Have you ever considered them? I have them on my Iron Rangers and am very pleased with how they wear and are holding up. I understand they are also used on the Alden Indy’s. Both very iconic boots. Is is simply a matter of current popularity and stylistic winds? That everybody nowadays wants some sort of lug? Or is it economics? More expensive? I have no clue and just wanted to get your thoughts on this.

From a product and make standpoint, they don't really have any downside other than they can be slippier than other non-leather options since the material is usually flat sheets. I personally haven't been drawn to it because of its subtle difference in aesthetics and performance from rubber, but for those who like lighter-weight non-leather soles, it's a good choice. It's also a little softer than typical rubber soles (if that's desired). Just a personal preference.

I do agree with you, lugs are popular right now. My guess is because it's one of the most casual soles you can put on a welted shoe. They have a solid weight to them, practical given the amount of traction, and most lug soles will be durable considering how thick they are.

In my experience, rarely will companies in this category avoid outsoles due to cost, especially if they are using leather, let alone butyl leather soles that are 2-3x the average branded rubber sole.

capablebedroom

Reaction score
Hello, all:
I recently got a pair of suede traveler loafers in 9.5D. I really like them, but there's fair bit of heel slip with socks and some room at the side of the feet. It's not as bad as the Rancourt loafers in 9.5 I tried—my foot isn't slipping out of the shoe entirely—but it's still noticeably loose. I'm wondering if I should stick with them & maybe get heel pads, or return them. Does anyone have a sense of how much the length changes between 9E and 9.5D? The length on these is pretty good, so I don't think I have a lot of room to go down that way.
My Brannock size is about 10; I wear running shoes in 10.5 (medium), and my best fitting welted shoes are Allen Edmonds Higgins Mill boots in 10D. My foot is flat and not wide, but with high volume in the forefoot, which has given me trouble with Allen Edmonds's 65 last and Meermin's Hiro last. I reached out to Grant Stone & received a prompt response, but like me they were somewhat surprised that the 9.5D wasn't tight. I'm also interested in any sizing suggestions for their longwings.
Thanks!

woodenbits

Reaction score
In my experience GS longwings run a tiny bit shorter and have noticeably smaller volume than boots on the same Leo last or even loafers on Alexander last. I have pretty much given up on taming my 12D longwings, and since 12.5D GS are not a thing, GS longwings are not for me. At least not in veg tan, maybe stretchy chromexcel leather or suede would be OK.
I'm also interested in any sizing suggestions for their longwings.

Last edited:

whipcord

Reaction score
In my experience GS longwings run a tiny bit shorter and have noticeably smaller volume than boots on the same Leo last or even loafers on Alexander last. I have pretty much given up on taming my 12D longwings, and since 12.5D GS are not a thing, GS longwings are not for me. At least not in veg tan, maybe stretchy chromexcel leather or suede would be OK.
This is exactly my experience. My 11.5D coffee suede longwings are smaller volume wise than my Diesel boots, but it works to my benefit since an 11D is too small in the Diesel, and 11.5D is too large. It's weird to be between sizes, but I am. My 11.5D Travelers are somewhere between the Longwings and the Diesels. The 11D Brass Boots I bought are too small. I do plan on trying an 11E in something, someday...

colton2e

Reaction score
Hello, all:
I recently got a pair of suede traveler loafers in 9.5D. I really like them, but there's fair bit of heel slip with socks and some room at the side of the feet. It's not as bad as the Rancourt loafers in 9.5 I tried—my foot isn't slipping out of the shoe entirely—but it's still noticeably loose. I'm wondering if I should stick with them & maybe get heel pads, or return them. Does anyone have a sense of how much the length changes between 9E and 9.5D? The length on these is pretty good, so I don't think I have a lot of room to go down that way.
My Brannock size is about 10; I wear running shoes in 10.5 (medium), and my best fitting welted shoes are Allen Edmonds Higgins Mill boots in 10D. My foot is flat and not wide, but with high volume in the forefoot, which has given me trouble with Allen Edmonds's 65 last and Meermin's Hiro last. I reached out to Grant Stone & received a prompt response, but like me they were somewhat surprised that the 9.5D wasn't tight. I'm also interested in any sizing suggestions for their longwings.
Thanks!
It could be something that improves as you break the soles and heel cup in or you could just be one of those people who will struggle to find a well fitting pair of loafers. If heel slip is a problem I doubt going down in length+up in width will help.

I like tongue pads better for adjusting fit than heel grips because they push your foot down and back into the heel which is what you really want to keep it secured.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious, do any of you have recommendations for creams, conditioners, or other product one might use to darken the natural minerva? TIA

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads