• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kkstpattisday

Reaction score
Does anybody here have a pair of the GS chukkas? I have a pair of the tan suede chukkas that I am very happy with but I was wondering if anybody has one of the pairs with the black soles--the chromex or the earth. Does the black crepe sole have the same feel/firmness as the light colored crepe? I was really tempted to get a pair in the Earth waxed commander but I already have a pair of Alden chukkas in something called earth reverse chamois which is either the same material by a different name or something nigh on indistinguishable from waxed commander. The Aldens have black crepe soles, something they call plantation crepe--but they don't feel spongy like a normal crepe sole, they have a firmness more like car tire tread. I'm not knocking them, they have the most comfortable supportive feel of any of my shoes. And I'm not knocking the light colored crepe soles on my GS tan suede chukkas either but I was just wondering how other styleforum people would judge the firmness of their soles. I want to get a second pair of the GS chukkas. I like the contrasting welt on the waxy earth but the chromex pair doesn't look too bad either. Does anybody out there have pairs in both the light colored and the black? That would be the ideal person to weigh in on the subject.
I’ll be your Huckleberry. At one point I owned all 3 versions. The crimson cxl pair are the ones that are rotated weekly. Yes the black crepe is just like, substance wise, to the translucent crepe on the tan ones. I think even with the crepe sole the crimson can be dressed up to a formal place unlike the waxed commander and tan chukkas. Both colorways you lack right now are great options. I was told the tan and wax will be discontinued so if you have an interest and your size exists get wax commander. The commander is waxed and Alden chamois is oiled with a greater matte. They are different enough to justify owning both. I have Alden chukkas on the Barrie last but the grant stones are way more comfortable in my opinion and seem more resilient. Both crimson and wax commander could be the all season shoe. If you needed someone to say you should get the chukkas well here ya go: GET THEM!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 81

Kkstpattisday

Reaction score
I’ll be your Huckleberry. At one point I owned all 3 versions. The crimson cxl pair are the ones that are rotated weekly. Yes the black crepe is just like, substance wise, to the translucent crepe on the tan ones. I think even with the crepe sole the crimson can be dressed up to a formal place unlike the waxed commander and tan chukkas. Both colorways you lack right now are great options. I was told the tan and wax will be discontinued so if you have an interest and your size exists get wax commander. The commander is waxed and Alden chamois is oiled with a greater matte. They are different enough to justify owning both. I have Alden chukkas on the Barrie last but the grant stones are way more comfortable in my opinion and seem more resilient. Both crimson and wax commander could be the all season shoe. If you needed someone to say you should get the chukkas well here ya go: GET THEM!
Pictured are red wing weekenders; two Alden chukkas tobacco chamois and snuff, and the crimson grant stones. All great chukkas!

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It can be repaire

that’s more spacing than I typically see on a Edward/Captoe pattern but maybe you just have a very tall foot

Saying “locked in heel” though typically is a red flag for wearing your shoes too small

I just meant not having heel slip. With GS boots, I find it's easy to lock my heels in by lacing comfortably -- not too tight. A sure sign I have a shoe or boot that is too large is when I have to tighten the laces very tight. This makes the instep uncomfortable too. But anyway, this pair is definitely the right size for me. I could not go up a half size from here without having the problems I just mentioned.

And yes, my instep is somewhat tall I would say.

707Matt

Reaction score
Another beautiful day at the beach. This was in Malibu. Outside of someone stealing my motorcycle t was great!
Then I got home and saw these bad boys showed up. This is my first pair of Red Wing Heritage boots, and I have to say, there's a big difference. These differences were never mentioned in the Rose Anvil video here.

I have been told by Grant Stone the holes/gaps where the vamp meets the tongue is part of the design. When I put on my Earth boots, I spilled some water on the vamp and straight to my sock. I believe that will get better as the eyelets press down. The Goodyear welt is just different.

Considering this pair was inspected by Wyatt himself the first time they were sent to me. They already had Venitian residue and dirty welt thread the first time I got them. I mistakenly thought they were the wrong size. Bought the veg tan field boot and recieved the same pair I had previously tried on. This time it was inspected by someone else.

Like previously stated, Wyatt refunded me some money as if they were B Grades, but it simply takes payments of the end of my PayPal loan. I'm still paying monthly for non B Grades. Also never wanted a B Grade. I wanted the best, which is what lead me to Grant Stone in the first place.

Employ the ignore option if you like, but I would think open conversation is the whole point of a forum. I had questions about things I saw. Just about everyone who chimed in refused to acknowledge my legitimate questions. I appreciate opinions, but was looking for knowledge. Thank you @adrs1157 for you unbiased reply and direction on where to find the info I was searching for.

I still love the look and quality of the leather. I love the heel pad and steel shank (I can feel it in a good way). Wish the tongue was a bit wider since it does pull to one side. I bought the Grant Stone tongue pads to compensate for this, but no luck with them. Lesson learned.

Attachments

• 20230622_143039.jpg
    20230622_143039.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 20230622_143240.jpg
    20230622_143240.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230622_163231.jpg
    20230622_163231.jpg
    493.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230622_163241.jpg
    20230622_163241.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230622_164237.jpg
    20230622_164237.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20230622_164214.jpg
    20230622_164214.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230622_164226.jpg
    20230622_164226.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230622_164937.jpg
    20230622_164937.jpg
    442.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230622_165015.jpg
    20230622_165015.jpg
    488.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230622_165244.jpg
    20230622_165244.jpg
    527 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230622_165207.jpg
    20230622_165207.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230622_165503.jpg
    20230622_165503.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230622_164915.jpg
    20230622_164915.jpg
    558 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230622_170021.jpg
    20230622_170021.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 20230622_170016.jpg
    20230622_170016.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230622_165843.jpg
    20230622_165843.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230622_165822.jpg
    20230622_165822.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230622_165807.jpg
    20230622_165807.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 20230622_163322.jpg
    20230622_163322.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 20230622_183409.jpg
    20230622_183409.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 83

707Matt

Reaction score
Very nice collection of Chukkas!

delmar

Reaction score
You talked me into it. I went with the Earth--I like the contrasting welt and the price was right. Thanks for the nudge.

adrs1157

Reaction score
Another beautiful day at the beach. This was in Malibu. Outside of someone stealing my motorcycle t was great!
Then I got home and saw these bad boys showed up. This is my first pair of Red Wing Heritage boots, and I have to say, there's a big difference. These differences were never mentioned in the Rose Anvil video here.

I have been told by Grant Stone the holes/gaps where the vamp meets the tongue is part of the design. When I put on my Earth boots, I spilled some water on the vamp and straight to my sock. I believe that will get better as the eyelets press down. The Goodyear welt is just different.

Considering this pair was inspected by Wyatt himself the first time they were sent to me. They already had Venitian residue and dirty welt thread the first time I got them. I mistakenly thought they were the wrong size. Bought the veg tan field boot and recieved the same pair I had previously tried on. This time it was inspected by someone else.

Like previously stated, Wyatt refunded me some money as if they were B Grades, but it simply takes payments of the end of my PayPal loan. I'm still paying monthly for non B Grades. Also never wanted a B Grade. I wanted the best, which is what lead me to Grant Stone in the first place.

Employ the ignore option if you like, but I would think open conversation is the whole point of a forum. I had questions about things I saw. Just about everyone who chimed in refused to acknowledge my legitimate questions. I appreciate opinions, but was looking for knowledge. Thank you @adrs1157 for you unbiased reply and direction on where to find the info I was searching for.

I still love the look and quality of the leather. I love the heel pad and steel shank (I can feel it in a good way). Wish the tongue was a bit wider since it does pull to one side. I bought the Grant Stone tongue pads to compensate for this, but no luck with them. Lesson learned.

I honestly think Wyatt should replace those entirely for you. That exposed thread will wick water directly onto the insole. I've had it happen on Alden's and it's not fun. You shouldn't have to think about putting away your boots when it rains, right?

Construction issues is where I draw the line. Wyatt found success in pitching his quality standards. Time to ante up.

Waxed

Reaction score
C2C3CC49-8461-4AE3-A2AA-069D42EE54C7.jpeg

Was going through some emails when I realized I’ve owned these boots for a year now. This is the Edward Boot in Color #8.

I have not cleaned or conditioned these at all. Just brushing after every wear and sometimes before. They’ve been worn a couple dozen times I’d say.

While the Edward Boot in Dark Oak Roughout is still my ATF (I like the Edward boot), this Color #8 selection is a close second.

Attachments

• 1586A80A-370F-4B52-8D6E-D198AA17A112.jpeg
    1586A80A-370F-4B52-8D6E-D198AA17A112.jpeg
    269.5 KB · Views: 81

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatever may be the opinion on the boots' stitching, now that @707Matt has worn them outside they are his. It's one of the inevitable costs of the hobby: there will be pairs that just don't work out. It sounds like Grant Stone has already been extremely accommodating in this instance, and to ask more might be pushing the limit.

Matt, maybe you got a bad apple, but if you want to eliminate imperfections like this altogether I don't know where to direct you except for mass-produced factory machine-made glued shoes. And even then, it's a crapshoot.

As for stitching issues in question, while they aren't aesthetically pleasing, they would be unnoticeable to the eye when wearing. Your question of durability would be better answered by a shoemaker or cobbler than a forum enthusiast.

Remember, Grant Stone's are tough as nails and can be worn in work environments, but they aren't designed as work boots. They are heritage boots - essentially (very good) fashion footwear. Anyone expecting features found in technical boots, hiking boots, or work boots will be disappointed. It's just a different animal entirely. I might recommend looking into Rancourt, Russell Moccasin, Quoddy, etc. if you want a more authentic version of the moc boot. Not that they're necessarily better - just different.

707Matt

Reaction score
Whatever may be the opinion on the boots' stitching, now that @707Matt has worn them outside they are his. It's one of the inevitable costs of the hobby: there will be pairs that just don't work out. It sounds like Grant Stone has already been extremely accommodating in this instance, and to ask more might be pushing the limit.

Matt, maybe you got a bad apple, but if you want to eliminate imperfections like this altogether I don't know where to direct you except for mass-produced factory machine-made glued shoes. And even then, it's a crapshoot.

As for stitching issues in question, while they aren't aesthetically pleasing, they would be unnoticeable to the eye when wearing. Your question of durability would be better answered by a shoemaker or cobbler than a forum enthusiast.

Remember, Grant Stone's are tough as nails and can be worn in work environments, but they aren't designed as work boots. They are heritage boots - essentially (very good) fashion footwear. Anyone expecting features found in technical boots, hiking boots, or work boots will be disappointed. It's just a different animal entirely. I might recommend looking into Rancourt, Russell Moccasin, Quoddy, etc. if you want a more authentic version of the moc boot. Not that they're necessarily better - just different.
Ya, I didn't realize I was jumping into a hobby. Just thought I was buying a pair of well made premium leather boots. Guess not.

707Matt

Reaction score
I honestly think Wyatt should replace those entirely for you. That exposed thread will wick water directly onto the insole. I've had it happen on Alden's and it's not fun. You shouldn't have to think about putting away your boots when it rains, right?

Construction issues is where I draw the line. Wyatt found success in pitching his quality standards. Time to ante up.

anonymouz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ya, I didn't realize I was jumping into a hobby. Just thought I was buying a pair of well made premium leather boots. Guess not.
To be fair, that's the first time I've seen anything like that on Grant Stone boots/shoes, including B-grades, and it's not very representative of their footwear. GS' build quality is often better than other stuff 2x the price

adrs1157

Reaction score

This is not good approach. The customer purchased the boots with full confidence of receiving a high quality, long lasting pair of boots. They are not expected to know the ins and outs of the construction of of boots themselves, but they are not on the hook for a defect that completely undermines the integrity of the boots either.

This should have been caught by QC and sidelined immediately. This is not B-grade quality.

The fact that it got into the hands of a customer and was then diagnosed on a public forum should be damage control. Wyatt should have called the customer and have this pair taken off his hands immediately.

This is not a cosmetic flaw. Cosmetic flaws are the ones that normally flood this forum and largely don't matter after a couple of wears anyway.

This is a different case. Yes, Grant Stone has done a wonderful job because I have been watching them since inception and this is the first instance of this defect I have seen from them.

All the more reason to take them back.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member