• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly, maybe even these Trickers boot

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with those chukkas, but I guess I'm not that picky about a style I'd never wear anyway. if I were to change one thing it would be using an outsole with a separate leather heel stack and rubber toplift rather than it being all 1 piece.

ahtynes

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on whether it's possible/how feasible it is to wear the lined Travelers without socks?

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here we go again. 3rd Bourbon suede Diesel on the way. From 9D to 8EEE to 9.5D over the past few years. The 9D one I had originally was from February 2020. Hopefully 9.5D or 9E does the trick. I'm thinking either would work but only one way to find out.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy the boots. 🔥

20220609_122436.jpg

brandonboot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here we go again. 3rd Bourbon suede Diesel on the way. From 9D to 8EEE to 9.5D over the past few years. The 9D one I had originally was from February 2020. Hopefully 9.5D or 9E does the trick. I'm thinking either would work but only one way to find out.
Are you going half size down from your brannock size? Not shoe size. Brannock.?! I ask because these sizes seem very erratic. For example my brannock is 8.5 but I literally wear a 10 or 10 1/2 sneaker. If I ever went down half a size from my sneaker size in a grant stone I’d be swimming in my boots. The jump from 9D to 8 EEE seems really crazy to me and then back up another size and a half in length. Hope it works out tho … what’s your brannock size?

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you going half size down from your brannock size? Not shoe size. Brannock.?! I ask because these sizes seem very erratic. For example my brannock is 8.5 but I literally wear a 10 or 10 1/2 sneaker. If I ever went down half a size from my sneaker size in a grant stone I’d be swimming in my boots. The jump from 9D to 8 EEE seems really crazy to me and then back up another size and a half in length. Hope it works out tho … what’s your brannock size?
My brannock size is 9.5D heel to toe and heel to ball while wearing medium weight socks like Chups. So while technically 9D should be my Grant Stone Leo size if you think a Brannock device is some infallible thing I know from experience that it's a bit tight on my pinky toes.

I own exactly 0 pairs of sneakers currently. I would not base anything on sneaker size considering I wear anywhere between 9 and 10.5 in sneakers I've tried.

The sizing differences may seem crazy to you, but they were actually recommended by people at Grant Stone. And not without reason. You can find this sort of information elsewhere too. It's not entirely uncommon to go up a 1/2 size and down a width or down a 1/2 size and up a width with shoes.

Basically what I've discussed with Wyatt is that based on my Brannock size and my issue with pinky toe space in 9D that 8EEE, 9E, and 9.5D are all potential options that could work better for me. You are probably misunderstanding how the length of the footwear compares when going up and down widths. An 8EEE is not going to be the same exact length as an 8D. It will will be a bit longer.

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may also be less picky with fit. My Grant Stone in 9D were perfect for me until I realized they weren't after trying more things. I used to just get 9D or 9.5D in whatever brand depending on whether they were TTS or 1/2 size down and just be done with it. Later on I realized most of these shoes/boots were actually a bit too narrow my for needs. Until you experience something that fits a lot better it can be hard to come to these realizations.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may also be less picky with fit. My Grant Stone in 9D were perfect for me until I realized they weren't after trying more things. I used to just get 9D or 9.5D in whatever brand depending on whether they were TTS or 1/2 size down and just be done with it. Later on I realized most of these shoes/boots were actually a bit too narrow my for needs. Until you experience something that fits a lot better it can be hard to come to these realizations.

Fair point. I realized that I've been wearing the wrong size footwear for most of my life. Ever since I got introduced to boots where the front has lots of room, it's very weird to go back to dress shoes and boots that have a more tapered toe.

Grant stone boots fit me well. I realize that I prefer to have room in the toe box where I can wiggle my toes and it doesn't touch the sides.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They do look great! Couldn't resist this leather on the Brass Boot. I was stoked to see that they came with leather laces as well as the cotton ones.

You must have a good amount of GS footwear at this point. I'm trying to maximize my purchases. Don't want to really overlap with very similar colours at this point. That picture is :fonz:

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Kkstpattisday
Thanks. I'd wonder if they would look even better without those soles. Seems sorta chunky to me. Something is off I feel with these chukkas

I don't see anything wrong with those chukkas, but I guess I'm not that picky about a style I'd never wear anyway. if I were to change one thing it would be using an outsole with a separate leather heel stack and rubber toplift rather than it being all 1 piece.

I'm not a big chukka fan either, mainly for fit reasons, but let me try to describe what's going on here.

The most popular chukka sole is a one-piece crepe sole that's very soft, spongy, and absorbs dirt like said sponge. So the light-colored crepe soles tend to look ratty over time and wear down pretty fast. Using a black sole hides that dirty look and keeps a nicer finish for the life of the sole. The great thing about crepe soles, besides comfort, is that they're easily resoleable with only glue, so none of the stitching has to be touched during the process. Typically you see a rubber midsole used which matches the crepe, but Grant Stone went with the more desireable leather midsole for durability, shock absorption, and breathability. Having that leather midsole can visually throw off the proportions of what people expect to see on a cheaper shoe with crepe soles, especially if the midsole is a different color than the outsole. But it is a more expensive and higher quality method of construction. A split-reverse welt is somewhat uncommon to see on chukkas too, but it fits perfectly with the Grant Stone aesthetic.

Here's a pair of my Fry's that also have a split/reverse welt. I think it's a nice look. There are definite quality corners cut even with the retail price being similar to GS. I will say though, I've never experienced better smelling leather in my life - wish I knew what leather they used.
IMG_5910b.jpg

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You must have a good amount of GS footwear at this point. I'm trying to maximize my purchases. Don't want to really overlap with very similar colours at this point. That picture is :fonz:

These are replacing a pair of natural waxed flesh boots I just sold from another maker. That roughout/suede in natural is one of my favorite looks and I don't think it overlaps the light tan CXL boots I'm wearing today. Sadly, I really miss those Dune Diesels but the fit just wasn't right for me. But dang, they had hit the CXL jackpot, so they did.

Kkstpattisday

Reaction score
These are replacing a pair of natural waxed flesh boots I just sold from another maker. That roughout/suede in natural is one of my favorite looks and I don't think it overlaps the light tan CXL boots I'm wearing today. Sadly, I really miss those Dune Diesels but the fit just wasn't right for me. But dang, they had hit the CXL jackpot, so they did.
That leather is killer. If you have any clout with Wyatt and co. Help me out and sway them into a chukka with that natural wax commander. I might just have to try a brass boot now. Can’t wait to see your patina a couple months from now. Cheers KK

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsgs3233