• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

walkinginplace

Reaction score
If you need only a modest volume correction, I really like these in my Travelers--merino is particularly great for wearing in warm weather/sockless: Pedag merino insoles

Just FYI everybody, this was excellent advice and I strongly recommend the Pedag merino insoles to provide a 1/4 to 1/3 size boost. My Travelers are perfect now. Much thanks.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm 65 and haven't worn penny loafers for a LONG time, but the GS penny changed all that. These things are simply wonderful, they get better every time I wear them. Socks, or like tonight, sock-less, they are just a great summer shoe. If I were still going in to the office everyday, I'd be wearing GS Penny's a lot more.
IMG_7031.jpeg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just a side note for anyone with suede GS (or any other brand), use Tarrago Nano Spray when they are new, before first wear and water/other liquids will just roll off of them if they get wet. Watering lawn tonight wearing the suede loafers and not even worried about overspray from the sprinkler, GS loafers will look just fine, even if they get soaked.

chiggyv

Reaction score
Been thinking about the Suede Traveler Loafers but shipping to Canada makes returns/exchanges tricky - would love some sizing input. @M635Guy ?

AE 5 last - 11.5E
Alden Aberdeen - 12E
Alden Barrie - 11.5D, slightly on the loose side
Alden Leydon - 12E
Alden Van - 12D (unlined Color 8)
Crockett 325 - 11UK, not a great fit in the heel
Sneakers (Nike, Common Projects, etc) - 13

Last edited:

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been thinking about the Suede Traveler Loafers but shipping to Canada makes returns/exchanges tricky - would love some sizing input. @M635Guy ?

AE 5 last - 11.5E
Alden Aberdeen - 12E
Alden Leydon - 12E
FWIW here are my sizes and thoughts
AE 65 last 9.5D
AE Patriots 9D, a bit too tight
Van 9D
Barrie 9D nice fit, a bit loose
GS travelers (4 pair) 9D: great fit. No heel slip, plenty of room in the toe box. My most comfortable loafers.
So my guess for you: 11.5D, maybe E if you like a looser fit in loafers. I prefer slightly tighter.
YMMV

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

AE 5 last - 11.5E
Alden Aberdeen - 12E
Alden Leydon - 12E
FWIW here are my sizes and thoughts
AE 65 last 9.5D
AE Patriots 9D, a bit too tight
Van 9D
Barrie 9D nice fit, a bit loose
GS travelers (4 pair) 9D: great fit. No heel slip, plenty of room in the toe box. My most comfortable loafers.
So my guess for you: 11.5D, maybe E if you like a looser fit in loafers. I prefer slightly tighter.
YMMV
I'm going to chime in and agree with @SonnyUte on this. 11.5D if you like a tighter fit. I'm an 8.5 or 9 in Barrie, 8.5 or 9 in Aberdeen, AE 65 last is a 9D and I went with 8.5D in the Traveller's (SonnyUte has me beat by 1 pair) and they fit great, no heel slip and as he said, room in the toe box. I, as well, prefer loafers to be slightly tighter. I went with this size based on my experience with the Leo last on boots as 8.5 works best without my orthotics, which I dislike wearing (even though podiatrist says I need to). If I wear a 9 can accommodate the orthotics, but they throw off a loafer fit so went with the 8.5.

bpanicola

Reaction score
Not sure how wide you're talking about, but the Pedag merino comes in both medium and wide variants in most sizes. Personally, I'm using a 13M Pedag (I'm a 13D on Brannock) in 12E Travelers, and they're pretty much perfect at filling the interior of the shoe.

But, of course, I don't really have a wide foot to begin with (and a Grant Stone 12.5D would probably be an even better fit for me, if it existed), so not sure how helpful this is to you if you have EEE feet or similar.

Thanks I will try and order the wide variant. Depending on the last I wear an E or 3E but do wear a D width on the Leo last if I go up a 1/2 size which was recommended by GS.

Josh Lange

Reaction score

AE 5 last - 11.5E
Alden Aberdeen - 12E
Alden Leydon - 12E

If you feel your 11.5D Alden Barrie feels good but is a touch on the roomy side, I would suggest our 11.5D... that's just my $0.02... :cheers:

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

AE 5 last - 11.5E
Alden Aberdeen - 12E
Alden Leydon - 12E
We're close.
Maker/LastYouMe
AE 5-last11.5E11.5E
Alden Aberdeen12E12E (try-on only)
Alden Barrie11.5D slightly loose11.5D awesome
Alden Leydon12Eown/like 12E and 11.5E
Alden Van12DN/A
C&J 32511UK11.5UK (try-on only - they recommended an 11UK, but it wasn't great. The 11.5UK was pretty good from the try-on, but not as good as Leo or Oliver for me at 11.5D.
Sneakers (Nike, Epaulet, Converse, Vans)1312.5 where available in Nike, 13 otherwise, 12 in the rest.

So Josh recommended 11.5D in the Alexander last, and it's damn good (my best-fitting boot is Leo in 11.5D, edging out Barrie), I'd go with what he recommended. As you might have read, I was highly skeptical about fit based on trying to get other loafers to work, but the loafers were really good from the first second and have only improved. I'm now entirely comfortable with their recommendations, and I agree with his thought that you'll almost certainly find that Alexander will be a bit trimmer than Barrie without moving to narrow.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We're close.
Maker/LastYouMe
AE 5-last11.5E11.5E
Alden Aberdeen12E12E (try-on only)
Alden Barrie11.5D slightly loose11.5D awesome
Alden Leydon12Eown/like 12E and 11.5E
Alden Van12DN/A
C&J 32511UK11.5UK (try-on only - they recommended an 11UK, but it wasn't great. The 11.5UK was pretty good from the try-on, but not as good as Leo or Oliver for me at 11.5D.
Sneakers (Nike, Epaulet, Converse, Vans)1312.5 where available in Nike, 13 otherwise, 12 in the rest.

So Josh recommended 11.5D in the Alexander last, and it's damn good (my best-fitting boot is Leo in 11.5D, edging out Barrie), I'd go with what he recommended. As you might have read, I was highly skeptical about fit based on trying to get other loafers to work, but the loafers were really good from the first second and have only improved. I'm now entirely comfortable with their recommendations, and I agree with his thought that you'll almost certainly find that Alexander will be a bit trimmer than Barrie without moving to narrow.
You never cease to impress me, a sizing spreadsheet- that is AWESOME!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elirobertson50