• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grad School Thread

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
a few years ago there was an error in the admissions department at UCSD where the automated response system sent something along the lines of 1000 acceptance emails out by mistake...

also, i don't know how you'll be able to get nsf fellowship for english or history but there are certainly other sources. a lot of people don't realize it but there's always someone willing to give you money.

Levator Superioris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joenobody0
There's always the NSF fellowship.

NSF is the National Science Foundation sir... I wouldn't go to grad school in a non-high payout field (aka MBA, JD, MD) there is just way too much debt. I first graduated with 37K and my first year made nearly 2K in interest payments alone. Calculate your monthly payment around 75K should work out to be ~500 a month for 30 years. Also keep in mind salaries have not really increased in the last decade or so....

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Levator Superioris
NSF is the National Science Foundation sir... I wouldn't go to grad school in a non-high payout field (aka MBA, JD, MD) there is just way too much debt. I first graduated with 37K and my first year made nearly 2K in interest payments alone. Calculate your monthly payment around 75K should work out to be ~500 a month for 30 years. Also keep in mind salaries have not really increased in the last decade or so....

I posted after a person talking about doing a CS PhD.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's always the NSF fellowship.
The only federally funded fellowship for the humanities is Javits. NSF and NIH don't fund the humanities.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
The only federally funded fellowship for the humanities is Javits. NSF and NIH don't fund the humanities.

I posted after a person talking about doing a CS PhD.
ffffuuuu.gif

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JonHecht
Eh, might as well.

I just turned down a research Fulbright and accepted a funded offer to a solid MA program in philosophy. Hope it was the right choice.

worship.gif
philosophy, making english look like accounting

bslo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JonHecht
Eh, might as well.

I just turned down a research Fulbright and accepted a funded offer to a solid MA program in philosophy. Hope it was the right choice.

Your philosophy studies will give you something to mull over while you're serving coffee at the local coffee shop.
biggrin.gif

Seriously, I don't think the MA will do much for your employment prospects. If you're interested in academia, you should think very, very, very carefully before you try to get a Ph.D, assuming you're not a minority. The job market is terrible.

JonHecht

Reaction score
I'm planning on pursuing a PhD, market be damned. My wife will do the real work. Of course, I won't go unless I get into a top 15. I think I might have a solid chance, as I will hopefully have an article forthcoming in the top journal in my specialty soon (on second R&R and all the editor wants me to do is clean up the footnotes a bit and convert citations to house style). Unfortunately, the journal is technically a polisci journal so it has more name recognition in that field. Maybe I'll apply to a few programs there.

I'm probably just deluding myself, it's so competitive. But so is everything else, so why not.

Maybe I'll apply to be a foreign service officer; why not follow one improbable life goal with another?

vthustle

Reaction score
Teger, as someone who has been at VT for 5 years (and about to graduate, sadly), I can pretty safely say that the alumni base is spread out pretty wide across the state of Virginia. Granted, I'm in a completely different field, so I don't know what that means for someone like you, but I would imagine it's not as bleak as you think in terms of networking opportunities.

Plus, beyond the funding you'd get from Tech, Blacksburg is dirt cheap to begin with, and still a really fun place to live when you find a solid group of friends.

Anyway, feel free to pm me with any questions about VT, or even networking opportunities in Richmond (I was born and raised there, so I have a fair amount of connections in the area).

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vthustle
Teger, as someone who has been at VT for 5 years (and about to graduate, sadly), I can pretty safely say that the alumni base is spread out pretty wide across the state of Virginia.
Geez, VT alums are not just in Virginia.
facepalm.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vthustle
Yes, I know that, but Teger mentioned staying in Virginia to be closer to family.
Ok, now I get what you're saying. VT is a good place.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
got into VCU with funding for the history MA. probably gonna have to take it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads