• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Tire Pressure Gauge and/or Hand Pump for bicycle/motorcycle?

emptym

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a reliable tire pressure gauge and/or hand pump?

I'd love a combo, but maybe these things are best kept separate.

Anyone?

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
Can anyone recommend a reliable tire pressure gauge and/or hand pump?

I'd love a combo, but maybe these things are best kept separate.

Anyone?

Not sure if it's overkill for you, but for my car, I use a Longacre.

emptym

Reaction score

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Tioga upright pump, with an adaptor that accepts both Presta and Schraeder valve stems.
It's got a pressure gauge at the top of the upright stem just below the handle which is clearly visible and which works well.

It generates plenty of pressure and I use it for both car and mountain bike tyres.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Best bicycle pump with gauge (Presta and Schrader): Topeak Joe Blow Pro
Best gauge (Schrader): Michelin Vigil

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was looking at Silca because CompCyc said it was the best but BikeForums seemed to yield otherwise. I was thinking about going with a Joe Blow from Topeak. Apparently, the vintage Silcas are the best.. not the new Super Pista/etc.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
The old Silcas are fine (I have one), but for ease of use and speed of fill, they're no Joe Blow Pro.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The best part about the silcas is their overall simplicity (at least the old ones...in truth I havnt used a new one/one with a pressure guage).

All of the parts are easily replaceable (I think the pump internals are all leather washers and such) and they can be made to last forever

emptym

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Seems like all of your recs are for floor pumps. Any for hand pumps?

Can't seem to find a Michelin Vigil anywhere. Do you know of a source, BB? A Google search turns up a Bjorn who was also looking.
He was directed to Aerostich, but they no longer carry them.

dubcbadass

Reaction score
from a forum (and SF-style) n00b who also happens to be a pretty darn good bike racer, my recommendation for a hand pump would be the planet bike peace pump in alloy.
the accu-gage is the most legit pressure gauge (i keep it in my toolbox for when i cement on my racing sew-ups {special racing tires} and have to get the pressure higher than my floor pump gauge will show).
as far as a hand-pump with a gauge, i think planet bike makes one of these, but it won't work as well or be as pocketable as the peace pump.
the best floor pump i have ever had is the pedros super prestige floor pump, which, with wood handle, doesn't look half bad. very easy inflation, too.

caribeprivate

Reaction score
Two Things You Can Do To Save On Gas

Everybody keeps on complaining how expensive gas is and how annoying it is that the price keeps on increasing. People should stop complaining and start finding ways of cutting back on the gas usage. It cannot be avoided that the price of gas continues to increase because demand is also increasing and the supply is decreasing. There are so many ways wherein we can save gas and cut back on the spending.

Go Green! Instead of driving your own private car, how about riding the public transportation? It may not have the luxury and comfort you experience when riding your own car but it sure saves you a lot of money. It just requires a little sacrifice to save you some of that green. You can actually even help ease that traffic because your one vehicle less to worry about. Use your bicycle or take a walk. This not only helps tone your muscle, you get to cut on spending and on using your gas.

1. Think about it, what are ten cars with only one passenger to one car with several passengers?

In the Philippines, public transportation is in the form of big cars called jeepneys. This has a capacity of more than ten persons. Riding these public transportations may be tiring but surely helps you save gas. You only have to pay a small amount of money in order to go to your destination.

How about if you will be taking the bus instead of driving your own car? You do not have to worry about the gas you will be consuming when riding a public vehicle. Of the several times you will be riding a public transportation (e.g. bus), you are sure to save a good amount of liters for important trips ahead of you. Instead of paying a sum reaching to hundreds of dollars for a long trip to some place, riding a bus would save you those hundreds of dollars because all of you just have to pay the gas of one big vehicle instead of, let us say, five cars to occupy a number of people.

You even need not to worry about parking fees too because you do not have to park, with no car and all. Additionally, not only are you saving gas but you are also helping Mother Nature by lowering carbon emissions from car exhausts and also contributing less to the traffic.

2. Stretch your legs, wear those sneakers and start taking those steps or if you want to get there faster, use your bicycle!

Walking or riding the bicycle is a very convenient method to travel. Aside from it being free of gas, you do not have to be hassled with the traffic. Think of it as exercise instead of a burden. We are not saying you should walk all the way for several miles, just for short distances like a couple of blocks. This way, you can get to save on gas and you could also cash in on some exercise.

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dubcbadass
from a forum (and SF-style) n00b who also happens to be a pretty darn good bike racer, my recommendation for a hand pump would be the planet bike peace pump in alloy.
the accu-gage is the most legit pressure gauge (i keep it in my toolbox for when i cement on my racing sew-ups {special racing tires} and have to get the pressure higher than my floor pump gauge will show).
as far as a hand-pump with a gauge, i think planet bike makes one of these, but it won't work as well or be as pocketable as the peace pump.
the best floor pump i have ever had is the pedros super prestige floor pump, which, with wood handle, doesn't look half bad. very easy inflation, too.

Thanks D. Those look good. Any specific accu-gauge model that you recommend? I've heard the digital ones tend to be most reliable. What's your experience?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics