• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to Bangkok Thailand for a long while. Tailor, restaurant, shop recs? Proxy?

jdanielca

Reaction score
My friend is the sole distributor for Scabal in south east Asia, if you are looking for that kind of level of tailor then let me know I shall ask what's good.

SeaGriffin

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

So I've been here for a bit...just revisiting this thread. It is amusing me to to note how many places I visited around here that were already recommended by you and I forgot.

Examples: the speakeasy sky bar is quite nice and I agree that the Vertigo at the Banyan Tree is great. Cramped with people...going to try the restaurant some time soon.

The view from the Baiyoke building (80 something floor) would be good, if it didn't have a cramped, run down feeling to it.

Someone over dinner from the US Embassy recommended Narin, but said it took four fittings, which was just too much for them. I thought that was a good sign, but whatever. Another embassy staff member seconded that he does good work. See aforementioned comments about the quality of such reviews. Oh, and I think they complained about the sleeves being too tight. I may be mis-remembering.

I agree that it is too hot for a suit here unless you work somewhere with air conditioning. Having reread all the emails, I may still go to Tanika for a linen suit.

No one talked about Central Embassy. Weird, weird mall, but the food court in the basement is a good set of training wheels for Thai food.

Um. Other that....could review what it would be good for me to check out clothing-wise for the hive mind?

Last edited:

SeaGriffin

Reaction score
Sorry,

I got engrossed with life over here. I'll try to post more soon to this thread with shirts from Pinky's and Tanika.

Pinky's. I had bad luck. They asked if I wanted slim and I thought they meant American slim, which is to say still loose. Also, I ran it through the dryer..

That said, the shirt was more an asian slim where the buttons gapped even after multiple visits and having them get rid of the bunch fabric in the back. So, the final shirt is too tight and you can see the thread holes in the back where they removed the string. I heard one or two people give me feedback about how slim they like to cut things. The owner is not Thai, but the tailor that worked on my clothes was.

Positive spin: I saw a trendy, slim, good looking linen suit there. My take away was that if you trend towards really slim clothes, you could probably get good stuff made there.

But I didn't go back.

Tanika's:
They are pricey, but the shirts look good. They keep thinking I'm another customer they like and remember. They don't check this website. I'll post pictures of that too. I'll probably let them make me a suit.

Pinky's is near Phloen Chit BTS station. Down a sort of half alley.

Tanika's is close to Asoke BTS station. It is right on the main road.

I've been in the 'good' Raja tailor shop. They look professional. The owner has done well enough servicing US military and embassy folks, as well as other foreigners that he owns a hotel in the area (a foreign brand). Supposedly he is still in the business because he likes it. I saw a pair of pants they made. Good construction, a bit tighter than I would have liked (this is a trend, the tight cut here).

Anyway it is also sort of close to Asoke BTS.

Another aside, there is a 'tailor' every five feet here. There's one, for example, on the sky bridge to a BTS (elevated subway).

SeaGriffin

Reaction score
At this point, I've done pretty much everything mentioned below, if anyone has questions.

Saras and Dosa King are decent veg. Indian places. There are two Beirut restaurants near Nana BTS. The one below is good. Nadimos is supposedly good but I haven't been there.

Have you ever been? My 2nd favorite places in the world behind NYC(of course.)

My .02 Baht!

To do:

-JJ Market/Chatuchak weekend Market. There is a great bar/lounge when you first come in, Viva 8, where they play great music and you can have a drink(s) and people watch. You can also get some pretty inexpensive/unique housewares. Loads of shopping.
-Visit all the temples: Grand Palace/Wat Po/Wat Arun/etc.
-Take a ride on the Chao Praya river on one of the local boats.
-Visit Asiatique in the evening.
-Check out a floating market. Damnoen Saduak can be a little touristy, but it is still a nice experience.
-Bangkok malls: Siam Paragon/MBK/Terminal 21/Central World/etc. A great way to get out of the blazing heat for a while.
-Cheap Charlies(bar) on Soi 11/Sukhumvit. Loads of expats hang there.
-Soi 7(off Sukhumvit) beer garden on Sunday afternoons.
-Nana Plaza aka Soi Nana aka Soi 4(off of Sukhumvit.) Not only a great red light district, but loaded with bars. My go-to bar is the Golden Bar next to the Nana Hotel.
-Check out some Muay Thai at one of the stadiums
-Jim Thompson house
-Siam Ocean World Aquarium
-Khao San Road(just for the experience and view the backpacker scene.)
-Soi Cowboy...another red light district. Have a beer and watch the people go by.

Food:

Wow....so many options. First and foremost, eat the street food. Just look for places that the locals go to.

Some options:
-Soi 38 off Sukhumvit in the evening.
-Chinatown in the evening. T&K Seafood and the place right across the street are good.
-Swan Bar-walk down Soi 4(past Nana plaza.) It is on the left hand side.
-Swing by Central World plaza after 5-6pm. There are loads of street restaurants that set up outside on the sidewalk. You know you are in the right area when you see the JUMBO TV outside.
-Right on the corner of Soi 15/Sukhumvit, there is a little place(name I can't remember) that is pretty good. They open at appr 12 noon.
-Make sure you get some morning glory as a side with your food. One of my favorite Thai dishes.
-Soi 11(off Sukhumvit) has loads of Indian restaurants.
-Talad Nam Seafood(Google for directions. Right by the exit-forgot what stop-of the BTS.)
-Food courts at Terminal 21 and MBK are pretty good. You buy a "card" and put a Baht value on it. They debit as you order from the various "stalls."
-Areesaa Lote right next to Khao San Road(actually, Soi Rambuttri.) The beef or chicken biryani is good.
-Try the SE Asia beers and Thai whiskey(Sang Som.) You can get both at the thousands on 7 Eleven stores around the city.

Currenct Exchange:

-2 of the best in the city are Super Rich(various) and Vasu(Soi 7 1/2 off Sukhumvit.)
-There are also ATM's all over the city

Current situation:

So there is a curfew between 12 midnight and 4am. Just check the Bangkok Post to see updates. Hopefully it will be lifted by Sept. Some are saying that it will be lifted nationwide soon.
Stay away from protest sites and you should be ok.

Also, follow Richard Barrow on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow

Transport:

Check out maps of the BTS and MRT. Also know that taxis in Bangkok are very inexpensive. The metered fare will ALWAYS be cheaper that what is offered off the meter. The drawback is the BRUTAL Bangkok traffic.

Also, read this:
http://migrationology.com

And check Youtube for "Mark Wiens Bangkok" and "Phil in Bangkok" for more food options. Some are pretty good.

(Just off the top of my head!)

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

At this point, I've done pretty much everything mentioned below, if anyone has questions.

Saras and Dosa King are decent veg. Indian places. There are two Beirut restaurants near Nana BTS. The one below is good. Nadimos is supposedly good but I haven't been there.

:cheers:

Tony70

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have a great Tailor to recommend which is in Sukhumvit Soi 16, just opposite of Foodland Supermarket. A lot of high class customers and very professional, reliable and really great quality fabrics and workmanship. Charlie’s Design is their name and their are online here charlies-design.com They can fit many budgets, just look at their fabrics, let them recommend you and decide what you want to spent, they won't push you and you will experience what a true tailor is. Have fun and feel like a king.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heading to Bangkok in 8 days. My wife and I will be spending a little over two weeks there. We have been there before and did most of the touristy things. This time we’re looking for sights/shopping a bit off the beaten path. Not looking for tailors or shirt makers as I’m very satisfied with whom I’m using now. But recommendations for women’s clothing (for my wife, smartass) or household goods are appreciated.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
has anyone tried the new Gaggan restaurant? was at the old place last year and it was amazing. New years Eve so much fun.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Heading to Bangkok in 8 days. My wife and I will be spending a little over two weeks there. We have been there before and did most of the touristy things. This time we’re looking for sights/shopping a bit off the beaten path. Not looking for tailors or shirt makers as I’m very satisfied with whom I’m using now. But recommendations for women’s clothing (for my wife, smartass) or household goods are appreciated.

-You can't beat the household goods section at Chatuchak. Great assortments of glasses, kitchenware, etc. Also, the big department stores like Robinson's have some cool items. Also, check out the art section at Chatuchak. I have 3-4 amazing paintings in my home from 2 artists. They will make a custom box for you to transport home.

-Clothing for your "wife"?
It depends on what she is looking for. Siam Discovery(next door to Siam Paragon) has more of a boutique feel. Same with Terminal 21.

-Sights?
*Have you taken a day trip to Ayutthaya? Very easy to do. Take the train and then hire a tuk-tuk for the day.
*Saxophone Jazz bar.
*Lumphini Park...you have probably been before. Buy a bag of bread inside and feed the fish. Take some photos of the monitor lizards roaming around.
*Cooking class. I took this one 3-4 years ago. Hight recommend. I am not affiliated at all:
*The newer train market behind Esplanade Mall on a Friday/Sat night. Buy some food. Find a bar and sit and listen to the bands doing some cool covers while eating and having a drink.
*You interested in photography? Check out Lucky Home. A huge 2nd hand warehouse that sells camera and other items.
*Golden Bay Leaf restaurant. Get the sliced sirloin Thai style and the green curry chicken.
*Brewski rooftop bar(crafty beer). I haven't been yet.
*Havana Social bar
*Metro Forest Bangkok
*The new Cheap Charlie's location
*Day trip to Kanchanburi
*Viva 8 lounge at Chatuchak market. Sit and have a drink and listen to some amazing music as you watch the people walk by
*More stuff for the home? Classic movie posters at Siam Sq Soi 2
*https://www.bangkokpost.com/travel/1604506/a-hidden-gem-in-bangkoks-heart
*The $1.29 all you can eat buffet outside of Lumpini Park. Just Google/Youtube it.
*Ride the new MRT/BTS extensions. Get off at random stops.
*The local market at Nonthaiburi. Take an orange flag boat from Saphan Taksin
*Ancient Siam museum park
*I am guessing that you have visited the Grand Palace/Wat Pho and Wat Arun. Have you been to Wat Saket aka the Golden Mount?
*Soi Rambuttri adjacent to Khao San Road. A little more laidback place to get food and a drink
*Max's Magic restaurant on Soi Rambuttri. Good food and Max will entertain you with some magic tricks
*Boat noodle alley near Victory Monument
*Jack's Bar right on the Chao Phraya River. Have a cold beer and experience the amazing views.

Just a few off the top of my head. If you need more, let me know.

Where are you staying?

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
has anyone tried the new Gaggan restaurant? was at the old place last year and it was amazing. New years Eve so much fun.

I haven't. Don't have 2-3 hours for a meal when in Bangkok.

Was the old location worth the reputation?

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't. Don't have 2-3 hours for a meal when in Bangkok.

Was the old location worth the reputation?
Absolutely, it was fantastic... not stuffy at all and so much fun maybe also because it was New Years Eve... if I would come back to bangkok I would definitely check out the new place.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Absolutely, it was fantastic... not stuffy at all and so much fun maybe also because it was New Years Eve... if I would come back to bangkok I would definitely check out the new place.

The "stuffy" rep was what threw me. I guess, it was a rep in my eyes. I visit 2-3 times a year and need to check it out. Tks for the rec.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads