• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gitman Brothers Vintage

tjonesd2

Reaction score

Never heard that before. Can anyone corroborate this? Good to know in the future if I want a baggier fit I can buy the long sleeved versions and turn them into short sleeve at my tailor.

This has generally been my experience as well, though I have had long sleeves that were cut shorter and slimmer, especially in the arm and mid section. I heard there are two different cuts for long sleeves- not sure how true that is. I did get a Japanese linen in today and the cut is much slimmer than the madras long sleeve, both from this season.

Kensington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This has generally been my experience as well, though I have had long sleeves that were cut shorter and slimmer, especially in the arm and mid section. I heard there are two different cuts for long sleeves- not sure how true that is. I did get a Japanese linen in today and the cut is much slimmer than the madras long sleeve, both from this season.

I thought the S/S shirts were roomier then F/W with Gitman and a lot of other brands. Then recently I got an OC x Gitman that seemed to fit a size smaller even though it was a summer item. Wish the sizing was consistent year round and for collaborations. I wonder why they do this. :confused:

So many people here have complained in this thread about the sizing fluctuations, we should all write to Gitman and maybe they'll make note if there is enough outcry.

Kensington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just a guess, but it looks a bit like chambray.

Just got it today. Great deal on a great shirt! It seems to be a medium weight chambray. I used to own a heavier one and it doesn't seem quite like other lightweight shirts I've handled. I wish the club collar was smaller/cuter but I'm still happy with it. I wonder why it has the 14.5" tagged sizing instead of small.

Last edited:

rusticchasm

Reaction score
I thought the S/S shirts were roomier then F/W with Gitman and a lot of other brands. Then recently I got an OC x Gitman that seemed to fit a size smaller even though it was a summer item. Wish the sizing was consistent year round and for collaborations. I wonder why they do this.
confused.gif

So many people here have complained in this thread about the sizing fluctuations, we should all write to Gitman and maybe they'll make note if there is enough outcry.

I think...

- the variation between shirts is due to the fact that they wash the shirts before they leave the factory. the shirts shrink differing amounts leading to the variation. i can't imagine that they have that many different cuts on the factory line; it would be a nightmare to have that kind of variation for each shirt
- the difference between the different lines of gitman are probably to cater to different people
- the difference in fit with collaborations probably has to do with the collaborator's specifications (ie. south willard = smaller collar)

personally i have also found that the OC shirts fit 1 size smaller

PersilVouchers

Reaction score

Or at least name the cuts/styles - slim, medium, regular, something like that - and standardise all of them.

I own about 10 of their shirts - so much variation.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I find that the shirts fit similar in the important stuff, like shoulders and chest. Everything else is sorta all over the place tho

Reaction score
I think...

- the variation between shirts is due to the fact that they wash the shirts before they leave the factory. the shirts shrink differing amounts leading to the variation. i can't imagine that they have that many different cuts on the factory line; it would be a nightmare to have that kind of variation for each shirt
- the difference between the different lines of gitman are probably to cater to different people
- the difference in fit with collaborations probably has to do with the collaborator's specifications (ie. south willard = smaller collar)

personally i have also found that the OC shirts fit 1 size smaller
I agree. The fact they're pre-shrunk is likely why there's so much variation. Gitman is really shirt to shirt, and as for the collabs, I ordered one of the Stussy collab ones dirt cheap in a L and it fits like something a between a s and m.

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I find that the shirts fit similar in the important stuff, like shoulders and chest. Everything else is sorta all over the place tho

Despite my frequent rants about Gitman's quality control and sizing issues, this does remain true. Gitman chest and shoulder sizing is usually consistent and, in all honesty, pretty spot on for me.

But everything else just irritates me - considering the prices they keep asking (and increasing). I've only kept a few shirts in cool patterns and fabrics (which in my view is their only saving grace, especially the madras fabrics they source). But when it comes to basics (which should fit well), there are better options out there.

That being said, they have done some collabs which fit well. The Gitman for Haberdash program has a pretty decent fit (still loose, but far less billowing in the back).

joshualim90

Reaction score
Any advice on keeping my white oxford, white?

I am like a stain magnet right now.

Bleaching is out of the question as greatly harms the fabric.

kentpope

Reaction score
Any advice on keeping my white oxford, white?

I am like a stain magnet right now.

Bleaching is out of the question as greatly harms the fabric.

Maybe stating the obvious, but Oxyclean is good. I spilled red wine all over a white chambray from Gitman and was able to get out. Had to soak it overnight and replace the mixture several times but it worked.

Hermitedge

Reaction score
The gitmans on Gilt... anyone know if those are vintage or from the regular line?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads