• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting the desire to check out?

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Yes, this is smart, telling someone who may be suicidal to jump out of an airplane.
rolleyes.gif

Rarely does the death occur in the air, it's the ground that creates a bit of a problem.

JB

bearlydavid

Reaction score
I have never seriously thought of killing myself due to pressures or whatever.

But I have thought about driving into on coming traffic etc... But thoughts like that are completely normal... Just weird things the brain does at times. Could I jump off the edge of a cruise ship and survive (i was just on a cruise
biggrin.gif
)

bearlydavid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
Rarely does the death occur in the air, it's the ground that creates a bit of a problem.

JB

Whats crazy is that there has been instances of people surviving that. And by that I mean hitting the ground at 120 miles per hour

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bearlydavid
Whats crazy is that there has been instances of people surviving that. And by that I mean hitting the ground at 120 miles per hour

Don't know if it's true or not, but I've always heard that if you fall from 15+ stories up, you have a better chance of survival than if you fall from between 5-15 stories. Something about your body tenses up from 5-15, but after that, your body relaxes and you end up not getting hurt as badly.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Don't know if it's true or not, but I've always heard that if you fall from 15+ stories up, you have a better chance of survival than if you fall from between 5-15 stories. Something about your body tenses up from 5-15, but after that, your body relaxes and you end up not getting hurt as badly.

I've heard that, too, but it was in a study about cats, not humans.
Generally, cats are much better at surviving a fall than are humans.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know, but reading some of these replies makes me wonder if many of you guys have every really had problems. I mean no offense, but yes, even if death is nothingness, damn, man, things must have been easy if nothing has never seemed preferable to the infinite something that is life. It haunts me that once, for a second or two on a highway near me, it seemed a better option to take the old Jaguar into a bridge abutment at 176mph than anything else. It lasted long enough, surprisingly, to downshift. Thoughts of the infinite pain my family would suffer served as sufficient deterrent, however. And always will. Someone loves you; hold on for them if for no one else. Regards, Huntsman

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whenever I am feeling down, I just think of my kids and there is no way I could leave them.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

eidolon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
I've heard that, too, but it was in a study about cats, not humans. Generally, cats are much better at surviving a fall than are humans.
Cats reach nonfatal terminal velocity (even though that seems nonsensical) around the 6th-7th floor of a normal building (70mph, I think), and above that height has diminishing effects on the landing. Cats (and this was the study, as far as I remember it) have greater survival rates and less injuries falling from the 6th floor+ than they do from the 3rd-5th floors. There are stories of cats surviving being thrown out of planes (I don't know who the hell would do this in the first place, though) with very minimal injuries. I believe this is also true of certain squirrels (although I'm not positive), and a few other small animals. Everything I know I learned from QI.
biggrin.gif

maacone

Reaction score
I used to get depressed very often. Mostly because I hated my work, my career was going nowhere and I'd cut myself off from all my friends.

I couldn't afford and definitely didn't want to talk to a shrink. I started keeping a journal. Writing about all the things that were pissing me off made them seem much less important. I also read the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius and a few articles on Epicurus. It made me realise it's best to to take pleasure from the simple things in life. And to expect the world to serve up a daily amount of frustrations, stupidity, difficulties, rejections and constant reminders of inadequacy.

What's important is to realise life is never ever going to be perfect, keep in touch with family and friends and have some kind of goals whose accomplishment is directly related to your own efforts. For me it was getting off ****** and losing forty pounds and also applying myself at work through sheer willpower. Now I'm much healthier, have a decent social life and flattering job offers from four different firms, any of which I would be happy working for.

dsholmes1

Reaction score
LOL...I have had the urge to part ways with this life throughout college. But now, I just don't care about anything enough too let anything bother me that much.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
While I have no thoughts of actively taking a part in my demise, I occassionally reflect that I will be glad when things are all done. So much of an adult's life is routine in the modern world, that it seems like we are often on an endless treadmill. I have come to the conclusion that life seems so much more exciting when young, because you can't help but have new experiences. Once you take your place in the world of "responsible adults" though, you are basically committing to huge amounts of routine.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I knew what the point of life was. Even the greatest deeds on Earth are relatively meaningless. If a comet hit Earth tomorrow and it was destroyed everything would go on as if nothing ever happened.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The meaning of life is simple. To live.

People just don't want to accept that answer because they WANT something more grand than that.

The journey you take in life is it's meaning. Your struggles and conquests both equally define you as a human. People are so obssessed with the end result that they forget to enjoy the journey.

Your life is a sum of all its parts, live for the sake of life.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Whenever I am feeling down, I just think of my kids and there is no way I could leave them.
This, ultimately, is the motivation and inspiration for my life. I have somehow been blessed with four of the most remarkable children a man could ask for.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads