• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting my first bespoke item (sport coat)

insolentpup

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm excited to get my first bespoke item. It will be a grey sport coat. I spoke to the tailor about materials. We looked at tweed and wool and we agreed that wool would be the best use case.

The wool he showed me was this one: https://apparel.hollandandsherry.com/en/3221018-airesco-grey-solid

it is 380gm 12oz worsted wood. My use cases are business, business casual, and dress-up dinners with family and friends.

I guess my questions are
- any comments on the wool weight? i live in ireland so climate is not too hot, not too cold.
- is there any concern that this material might look too much like a suit jacket rather than a sport coat?
- any other comments at all? i havent gotten into the details yet about blazer pockets, vents, other things i dont fully understand

wozniak

Reaction score
I think 380gsm is more a cool weather weight particularly if canvased and fully lined. Also a solid no pattern for a sports jacket is a bit plain and hints of suit jacket, but the texture does support a sport coat.

Something with a pattern and mid weight that kind of looks nice to me.

Also more Navy

As far as options - just my preferences, but double vent, flap pockets, dark brown buttons (not black), 3 or 4 buttons non kissing sleeve buttons, 3-4 inch notch lapel (depending on your chest size).

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a good weight for Ireland. Airesco is a more breathable weave. The texture is fine for a sportcoat. My issue with that choice is that I find grey to be less versatile for an odd jacket than navy, say, but it’ll depend on what outfits you’ll wear it in and what other jackets you already own.

wozniak

Reaction score
It’s a good weight for Ireland. Airesco is a more breathable weave. The texture is fine for a sportcoat. My issue with that choice is that I find grey to be less versatile for an odd jacket than navy, say, but it’ll depend on what outfits you’ll wear it in and what other jackets you already own.
I agree with you that plain Grey is much less versatile then navy.

insolentpup

Reaction score
I think 380gsm is more a cool weather weight particularly if canvased and fully lined. Also a solid no pattern for a sports jacket is a bit plain and hints of suit jacket, but the texture does support a sport coat.

Something with a pattern and mid weight that kind of looks nice to me.

Also more Navy

As far as options - just my preferences, but double vent, flap pockets, dark brown buttons (not black), 3 or 4 buttons non kissing sleeve buttons, 3-4 inch notch lapel (depending on your chest size).

I agree with you that plain Grey is much less versatile then navy.

Another vote something dark blue.
A small pattern or some texture would also be a plus.
Solid gray looks like a lost suit jacket.
could you guys show me a navy sport coat you like the look of? They all look too formal for me, or too much like blazers.

I was originally inspired by this, but I guess it has more texture, and is tweed: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GJFFvSKbAAAmNuj?format=jpg&name=large

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the same Airesco fabric but in a mid-to-dark blue:

LJ1891

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm excited to get my first bespoke item. It will be a grey sport coat. I spoke to the tailor about materials. We looked at tweed and wool and we agreed that wool would be the best use case.

The wool he showed me was this one: https://apparel.hollandandsherry.com/en/3221018-airesco-grey-solid

it is 380gm 12oz worsted wood. My use cases are business, business casual, and dress-up dinners with family and friends.

I guess my questions are
- any comments on the wool weight? i live in ireland so climate is not too hot, not too cold.
- is there any concern that this material might look too much like a suit jacket rather than a sport coat?
- any other comments at all? i havent gotten into the details yet about blazer pockets, vents, other things i dont fully understand
what color are your trousers?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads