• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 5 or 6 pair of G&G’s off the rack. Just got in on their spring MTO special to upgrade my spectator game.
Ordered the Astaire in vintage cedar and white calf on the round deco last.
My last several pair of G&G have been MTO. I’m sort of getting very specific about what I want and how I want it. Fortunately, these MTO sales help take the bite out of the $$ a bit!

nevaeh

Reaction score
Well let's have a look shall we. For delivery to the US, Lobb gives you free FedEx ground shipping. Edward Green provides free DHL shipping, with duties paid.

If I'm paying a grand for shoes, tacking on another $62 for shipping, plus making you responsible for duties/customs, is just unnecessary when your competitors provide free shipping.

I feel your pain about having to pay for shipping, especially given how places like Amazon have trained us to expect free shipping. But it's also true that you are paying for free shipping one way or another. Some companies list their shipping charges distinctly, others lump it in with the base cost of their product.

For instance, on their U.S. website, Edward Green's Chelsea model is listed at USD 1,285. Gaziano & Girling's comparable model, the Oxford, is listed at GBP 900, or around USD 1,120 today; add to that GBP 50 for shipping, and you're at around USD 1,180 for G&G's Oxford. Even with G&G's shipping costs included, the comparable EG model is around USD 100 more expensive. Certainly, that difference is within the range of duties one might be expected to pay for importation to the United States.

So, while I appreciate when companies offer free shipping, I also look at math like that above and realize that there is no free shipping (or free lunch). I am not saying one business model is better than the other, but both have you pay for shipping in their own ways.

gmehra

Reaction score
I feel your pain about having to pay for shipping, especially given how places like Amazon have trained us to expect free shipping. But it's also true that you are paying for free shipping one way or another. Some companies list their shipping charges distinctly, others lump it in with the base cost of their product.

For instance, on their U.S. website, Edward Green's Chelsea model is listed at USD 1,285. Gaziano & Girling's comparable model, the Oxford, is listed at GBP 900, or around USD 1,120 today; add to that GBP 50 for shipping, and you're at around USD 1,180 for G&G's Oxford. Even with G&G's shipping costs included, the comparable EG model is around USD 100 more expensive. Certainly, that difference is within the range of duties one might be expected to pay for importation to the United States.

So, while I appreciate when companies offer free shipping, I also look at math like that above and realize that there is no free shipping (or free lunch). I am not saying one business model is better than the other, but both have you pay for shipping in their own ways.
true

https://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2019/09/the-shoe-snob-video-series-there-is-no-free-shipping.html

nevaeh

Reaction score
Last edited:

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are correct in your thinking and it was something I had considered. I have purchased almost all of my G&G’s from @gmehra, which is why I really questioned G&G’s need to charge for shipping. Perhaps another question should be asked: does not charging for shipping make @gmehra an awesome guy or the awesomest guy?

saurabh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took some pics of my G&G MTO Deco Papworth shoes. contrast Margaux Patina done by G&G Savile Row @GazianoGirling and love the whole cut wingtip design.

709A86F0-5B1D-4A45-84A4-A4A9C051A7DC.jpeg

8612B5B6-C246-4DF4-8CB9-E2E01A2614F8.jpeg

BCAEA904-EBD4-46A4-A5E7-4F00A19EB929.jpeg

88461938-9188-4C6E-A458-C667AC2B64B1.jpeg

FC63A17F-90F7-4C3B-B0D4-ACE76CBEF69E.jpeg

E4293548-7B89-47FE-A130-FC3722E38B82.jpeg

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Chop Chop

Reaction score
^Lovely.

Question for the experts. Is there a difference in production cost between producing a RTW shoe in a "not in stock/6-8 weeks" size, and the same MTO shoe in the same type of leather but different color? I can't imagine there is but the ~$300 price difference will keep me from pulling the trigger.

nevaeh

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 45 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads