• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would suggest if anyone is interested in an Arran GMTO, to make their spec suggestions known. I know Nick is putting together an Arran GMTO right now, so speak up.

Mine (as most of you know) is an Arran in deco black calf, TG73 last, black welt & single leather sole...

What's the upcharge for a deco over an ordinary G&G?

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New to G&Gs: what is the "quintessential" G&G brown balmoral (model, color, last)?

In other words, if you buy just one G&G bal, what would it be?

I'm in the market for one and considering JL and EG as well.

Thanks

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's the upcharge for a deco over an ordinary G&G?

Not sure there is one for their deco calf, you do however need approval from GG to do so. That was the case for my Deco black calf Wigmores, and will probably be the same for the Arran I specced...

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

New to G&Gs: what is the "quintessential" G&G brown balmoral (model, color, last)?

In other words, if you buy just one G&G bal, what would it be?  

I'm in the market for one and considering JL and EG as well.

Thanks

If by balmoral you mean oxford, then I would say the St. James in vintage cherry is as iconic as you can get with a GG oxford.

Their balmoral Wigmore boots are quite iconic as well IMO...

Last edited:

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ yes, i was indeed looking for the iconic G&G oxford. st james is lovely, but the red is pretty striking IMO. but if that's signature G&G, so be it. thanks so much

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure there is one for their deco calf, you do however need approval from GG to do so. That was the case for my Deco black calf Wigmores, and will probably be the same for the Arran I specced...

Oh, so you only want the calf/leather used in the Deco models but not the upgraded construction details used in the Deco range? So, this isn't an Arran made to Deco standards? What's does the Deco calf leather offer that their ordinary leather does not?

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh, so you only want the calf/leather used in the Deco models but not the upgraded construction details used in the Deco range? So, this isn't an Arran made to Deco standards? What's does the Deco calf leather offer that their ordinary leather does not?

My understanding is that the regular black calf is a semi crust, but the Deco black leather is crust (not quite sure on the difference). Honestly, I just really like the bleaching (patina) effect they do on this leather, which is the main reason for me...

Last edited:

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My understanding is that the regular black calf is a semi crust, but the Deco black leather is crust (not quite sure on the difference). Honestly, I just really like the bleaching (patina) effect they do on this leather, which is the main reason for me...

Semi-crust is sometimes what you call crust leather that have been finished with a color on the full hide, and comes to the maker already colored. Crust would be when they use natural, uncolored crust leather and dye them themselves. I guess.

Last edited:

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ yes, i was indeed looking for the iconic G&G oxford.  st james is lovely, but the red is pretty striking IMO. but if that's signature G&G, so be it. thanks so much

I agree St James and Wigmore are the iconic models and (to me at least) think of Rioja as the iconic color for either.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ow, and i've been forgetting to post this. My Hoves from Skoak are on their way, can't wait to see them, will be my first MH71 shoe (pic courtesy of Skoak):

Very nice indeed! Please post more pictures when they have arrived. I would really like to see how a three eyelet version looks from the side.

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree St James and Wigmore are the iconic models and (to me at least) think of Rioja as the iconic color for either.
what's the easiest way to get the St James in Rioja in the US? Does anyone stock it? Is there an "ideal" last for this model?

Thanks

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

what's the easiest way to get the St James in Rioja in the US?  Does anyone stock it?  Is there an "ideal" last for this model?

Thanks

Bespoke England, Nick has them and there is 30% sale going on until the end of the month.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads