• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I foresee the age old debate of the quantitative benefits of lasted trees vs non-lasted in this thread's future... :lurk:

Last edited:

jas0nt

Reaction score

I foresee the age old debate of the quantitative benefits of lasted trees vs non-lasted in this thread's future... :lurk:

There might not be quantitative benefits but it is always nice having a pair of matching shoe trees with the shoe maker. Also they look like pieces of art (much better than EG or JL shoe trees in my opinion), so that's part of the premium as well. :slayer:

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There might not be quantitative benefits but it is always nice having a pair of matching shoe trees with the shoe maker. Also they look like pieces of art (much better than EG or JL shoe trees in my opinion), so that's part of the premium as well. :slayer:

Ow, I love my GG trees, they are stunning. I do enjoy the aesthetics, but honestly, I am looking to pic up some EGs and plan to get regular trees for those... :embar:

Chowkin

Reaction score

Ow, I love my GG trees, they are stunning. I do enjoy the aesthetics, but honestly, I am looking to pic up some EGs and plan to get regular trees for those... :embar:

I totally agree with you. EG shoe trees are nowhere near G&G's in terms of aesthetics. In addition, the ones I have are for D/E fittings, so not as good as G&G who offer specific trees for each width.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I totally agree with you. EG shoe trees are nowhere near G&G's in terms of aesthetics. In addition, the ones I have are for D/E fittings, so not as good as G&G who offer specific trees for each width.

Yup, the pair of EG trees I recently handled were a little generic, and no indication of width at all. Generics will do just fine for me I think...

Chowkin

Reaction score

Yup, the pair of EG trees I recently handled were a little generic, and no indication of width at all. Generics will do just fine for me I think...

The EG shoe trees I bought came in a box labelled size 5 D/E. Given my small size it's very difficult to find generic trees. The Armoury doss sell its own branded ones in size 5 at US$50 but the difference is not that big, so I opted for EG trees

Last edited:

armsignet

Reaction score
They are Allen Edmonds.
Thanks. I will look into A&E trees.

I foresee the age old debate of the quantitative benefits of lasted trees vs non-lasted in this thread's future...
lurker[1].gif

I opt for lasted trees, however, I have purchased G&G shoes from dealers and members that did not offer sized G&G trees. I wondered if there is a better option than waiting weeks for a lasted pair to come in while using poorly fitting generic trees. Maybe it is time for a group buy on a 3D printer?

That said, are lasted trees just cossetting shoes? It seems to me that shapely lasts and toe boxes warrant them, but I am willing to hear wisdom that says otherwise.

jaywhyy

Reaction score
G&G shoe trees are more form than function anyway. The varnishing really inhibits any moisture absorption.

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Usually I do my best to avoid shü trees from makers themselves. Few RTW pairs have shapes that really need special support and most branded trees have high markups. G&G is one of the few exceptions, all of their lasts are just about the most contoured available and all need proper trees to keep those lovely curves.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I basically only use generic trees (only good quality cedar trees that have a solid heel piece and split vamp piece though) and they work just fine. The most important thing is to choose the right size that will fit best for each specific last. After all, there is quite a difference between C&J 325 and DG70.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

G&G shoe trees are more form than function anyway. The varnishing really inhibits any moisture absorption. 

this comment makes no sense, i doubt any tree coated or not will help with this, why would you want to retain the moisture absorbed in the tree in the shoe, if you want to let the air you best to leave the tree out for a short time before you insert it back in.

from all the shoe makers i have ever spoken too, the general purpose of the tree it to retain the shape and preserve the leather from excess creasing - does nothing for absorbing moisture coated or not - AFAIK this is a myth

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

this comment makes no sense, i doubt any tree coated or not will help with this, why would you want to retain the moisture absorbed in the tree in the shoe, if you want to let the air you best to leave the tree out for a short time before you insert it back in.

from all the shoe makers i have ever spoken too, the general purpose of the tree it to retain the shape and preserve the leather from excess creasing - does nothing for absorbing moisture coated or not - AFAIK this is a myth

+1. This whole talk about moist absorption is really exaggerated. If the trees absorb any moisture at all, then it will surely be very very little so.

Trees are first an foremost to keep the uppers from excess creasing and to stretch out the sole to prevent it from bending upwards (like clown shoes).

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Civil_style