• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Without having read all the post I'd just like to add this.
This is what I have been taught.
Quality IS subjective. It is based on your expectations and good quality is simply defined as something that meets and surpasses your expectations,
whereas bad quality is defined as not living up to your expectations.
Whatever you buy, if you are happy with it and it surpasses your expectations is therefore of good quality regardless of price/brand or whatever....

just my 2 cents

An interesting perspective. It won't be well received by those who hold themselves forward as the sole arbiters of quality, but interesting all the same.

TimH

Reaction score

An interesting perspective. It won't be well received by those who hold themselves forward as the sole arbiters of quality, but interesting all the same.

I can see the point being made but surely it is about craftsmanship, longevity and value for money?

thelonius

Reaction score
+1

When quality (or good and evil) is subjective, every one has a different definition and thus there is no definition...and ultimately, anything goes.

This is also known as "relativism."
Now you're being pedantic.

Definition of "quality" from the Oxford Dictionary:
noun (plural qualities)

• 1 [mass noun] the standard of something as measured against other things of a similar kind; the degree of excellence of something:an improvement in product quality
  • 2a distinctive attribute or characteristic possessed by someone or something:
Quality has nothing to do with good, bad or relativism. Quality is to do with meadurable traits, such as one could use to measure characteristics of a shoe, for example.

Simply need a good, linear calibration.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Now you're being pedantic.

That's simply not true, because, at this point, the issue is not "quality", it is whether a subjective definition of quality has any validity. If it does, then we have no basis for communication. No basis for language.

Words have meanings...as your reference to the Oxford so aptly illustrates. That's the basis of all language and all communication. When we get to the point where it is acceptable to substitute your own meaning for commonly, historically, and Traditionally, accepted meanings, we'll all be speaking in tongues.

Language is the basis for thought. The structure of a language is known to influence thought, philosophy, and world-view.

If we define quality...if we define good or evil... according to our own lights, according to our own self important, self-interested standards we are fundamentally setting ourselves and our opinions above all others. Above commonly accepted definitions. Above Traditional standards. Above any need to interact with other people.

If that's not relativism it's certainly solipsism. And perhaps more reprehensible for that.

thelonius

Reaction score

That's simply not true, because, at this point, the issue is not "quality", it is whether a subjective definition of quality has any validity. If it does, then we have no basis for communication. No basis for language.

Words have meanings...as your reference to the Oxford so aptly illustrates. That's the basis of all language and all communication. When we get to the point where it is acceptable to substitute your own meaning for commonly, historically, and Traditionally, accepted meanings, we'll all be speaking in tongues.

Language is the basis for thought. The structure of a language is known to influence thought, philosophy, and world-view.

If we define quality...if we define good or evil... according to our own lights, according to our own self important, self-interested standards we are fundamentally setting ourselves and our opinions above all others. Above commonly accepted definitions. Above Traditional standards. Above any need to interact with other people.

If that's not relativism it's certainly solipsism. And perhaps more reprehensible for that.
Good. So now it is established here that quality is something measurable, and the rest is esthetics.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thelonius,
do not take this personally but can you please go somewhere else? For example there is a leather quality and properties thread.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

^
+1
DW will entertain all trolling in the Leather Quality thread... :plain:

I'd rather not, thank you. I hate entertaining trolls...their attention spans are so short and they live under bridges. And just when the dog and Appreciationy show is taking a well deserved break, the Thread Police come rolling in.

--

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Been a while sine i have really posted any Appreciation anywhere, so here it goes.....

New bespokes for moi, Dark Brown Super rare China Buck Monks

Tan China Buck Chukka's

Laser Medalion Derby - Tan Hatch grain

yowza, these are awesome. nice to see ya round again.

---

i kinda wanna comment on the previous convo, but i dont know enough and i know ill end up being a dick.

so, ill just post my MTO st james II with medallion, on their maiden voyage. :)

THANKS NICK!!!!!! :slayer:

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I second that....:slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer: (5 out of 5 slayers)

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

yowza, these are awesome. nice to see ya round again.

---

i kinda wanna comment on the previous convo, but i dont know enough and i know ill end up being a dick.

so, ill just post my MTO st james II with medallion, on their maiden voyage. :)

THANKS NICK!!!!!! :slayer:

thanks chap, still around just dont have as much to post anymore, otherwise you get comments like above

loving your suede, polo or cedar?

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stitchy,

You really like that polo suede huh, very nice, TG73 last I presume.

Love that last, every time it consider using a different last, even the MH71, I keep coming back to it. All my GGs can't end up being TG73, can they? :confused:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads