• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friday challenge February 9th 2018 - the Ivy League Look.

Who's the mostest Ivy?

• crdb

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Closeau

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • KingPSQ

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • EFV

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • kickstand

• dalevy

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • bienluienapris

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • SprezzaTrash

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • MoneyWellSpent

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Caustic Man

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • Sartorial Chap

• Mr Knightley

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • 3piecesuitguy

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • jchosko

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • AAS

Votes: 23 38.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Ivy League look is something highly debated on forums entirely dedicated to what defines it. Also, some are heavily invested in discussions on what separates it from the Preppy look and the Trad look. We won't be that scrutinizing here. Bring on your knit ties, khakis, madras, tartans, boat shoes, knit/striped/madder ties, loafers, seersucker, OCBD:s et c. It will be up to the voters to decide who pulls it off best.

Only rule is that it has to be posted before this coming Saturday and that it contains some items that could be considered a part of classic American style tradition.

Inspiration:

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

And from some of our members:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Contestants

Does Sidney Poitier count as Ivy? Whatever, it is one of the nicest suits I've seen on film.

M2QHfyY.jpg

Anyway, this is my entry. I was in Tokyo, lunch required a suit and tie, I did not have either with me, so I bought them in the street in Ginza rather than skip lunch. Turns out Tokyo had a bit of an Ivy thing going. Unstructured (shapeless?) jacket, button down collar (with stripes no less - something best kept to more formal shirts), red tie, three things I never wore at the time and made me feel like a right yank:

quVduhQ.jpg

It's not beautiful and tailored and tasteful, it's utilitarian and comfortable, in that sense true Ivy.

Great topic @EFV ! Unfortunately i won't be able to take some pics this week. As apparently there is no restriction on the date, i post this picture, a couple of months old.

View attachment 920779

Among the Ivy staple items i wear, there is a JKeydge ('Ivy' model !) 3B sack jacket.
Sadly, i learned last week that JKeydge, a small French company, will be closing down soon. So if you have the occasion to pull the trigger, do it now !

I genuinely like the Ivy style but just don't see it on myself. Gave it my best shot today anyways!

View attachment 920789 View attachment 920790 View attachment 920791

Today:

View attachment 920841

Edit. What I wore as outerwear with this:

View attachment 921300

I don’t usually include a shoe pic but can’t do Ivy Style without some beat up Aldens.

View attachment 920933
View attachment 920934

Winging it. Tell me if I'm wrong.
View attachment 920972

Having fun with footwear

b2GVAiw.jpg

ATXTiES.jpg

1960's tweed, 70's Brooks OCBD, 30's tie, BR trousers, and Padmore & Barnes P204s

Compare my silhouette to his. He is, perhaps, more refined in the fit and proportion of his sleeves to his shoulder, but mine fits better in the lower half, avoiding the waves he has near the hem and pockets. Nevertheless, the sloping roundness of the shoulder and sleeve is a feature of the Ivy look. This is the opposite of the so called Power Suit. The Ivy look is one that is intended to put those around you at ease rather than to intimidate.

View attachment 921976

After you've taken your robo-pose picture, don't forget to chill out and get slouchy. The look is all about being relaxed and comfortable in your clothes.

View attachment 921965

Some argyle socks and chunky looking, well worn, penny loafers (pennies included) round out the look.

View attachment 921966

View attachment 922470 View attachment 922471 Here’s a couple of entries, one in madras, knit tie and Hutton desert boots, and one more subdued in Brooks Brothers 3/2 sack Tweed, longwing Tricker’s and Repp tie.

Well my own take on Ivy has always been that the outfit will contain some items that could be considered a part of classic American style tradition.

This fit from earlier in the week contains an OCBD, a looser-fitting jacket and penny loafers in Horween leather, among other things that may be felt to fall within that category. When I ventured further afield I added a classic fly fronted Grenfell:

View attachment 922503

View attachment 922504

View attachment 922505

J Press Grey Flannel trousers, Brooks Brothers 60s vintage 3 roll 2 triple patch pocket blazer, Brooks Brothers bow tie and black brogues. The jacket needs a bit of work, it's a 40 reg but being 60s it's a bit on the short side. The shirts not perfect but all I could muster up at 2am. An Aussie going prep, definitely not imitating a security guard! View attachment 922564 View attachment 922565 View attachment 922567 View attachment 922568 View attachment 922569 View attachment 922570

I've never participated in a Friday Challenge before, but I thought my outfit today fit pretty well within the theme so I figured I'd go ahead and submit something for your consideration.

Jacket: Vintage Brooks Brothers (dartless, 3 roll 2, flapped patch pockets, natural shoulder)
Shirt: Luxire Blue University Stripe BBBDC 2.0 (this particular one has a fully unlined collar)
Tie: "Vintage" (i.e., 90's era) J. Crew rep stripe
Jeans: Red Cotton Denim (I know I'm deviating here from the conventions of the style, but if comfort is king...)
Shoes: Oak Street Bootmakers suede beefroll penny loafers
Watch: 1962 Rolex OysterDate

View attachment 923017 View attachment 922995 View attachment 922996 View attachment 922997 View attachment 922998

Last edited:

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can I borrow a time machine?

Of course I love the 50s-60s stuff, but I think this style is pretty adaptable to any time really. Lots of good examples out there on how this style can be worn in different settings.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does Sidney Poitier count as Ivy? Whatever, it is one of the nicest suits I've seen on film.

M2QHfyY.jpg

Anyway, this is my entry. I was in Tokyo, lunch required a suit and tie, I did not have either with me, so I bought them in the street in Ginza rather than skip lunch. Turns out Tokyo had a bit of an Ivy thing going. Unstructured (shapeless?) jacket, button down collar (with stripes no less - something best kept to more formal shirts), red tie, three things I never wore at the time and made me feel like a right yank:

quVduhQ.jpg

It's not beautiful and tailored and tasteful, it's utilitarian and comfortable, in that sense true Ivy.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Great topic @EFV ! Unfortunately i won't be able to take some pics this week. As apparently there is no restriction on the date, i post this picture, a couple of months old.

JK4.jpg

Among the Ivy staple items i wear, there is a JKeydge ('Ivy' model !) 3B sack jacket.
Sadly, i learned last week that JKeydge, a small French company, will be closing down soon. So if you have the occasion to pull the trigger, do it now !

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thread title says ‘January 9th 2018’.

That would be one month in the past!

Who won?
Oh, haha. Well, for anyone wondering, its this friday, February 9th.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads