• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formalwear Appreciation

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I figure with the waist coat, it would be uncomfortable to have braces underneath it. I've never worn tux with waist coat, so not really sure it could be done.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitingStyle
I figure with the waist coat, it would be uncomfortable to have braces underneath it. I've never worn tux with waist coat, so not really sure it could be done.

I've never felt the braces under my waistcoat. You should give it a try, because it's nice to not have to worry about your pants slowly dropping as you walk around or dance the night away.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
did you wear braces under the waist coat? I am in the final stage of finalizing my wedding attire too, and can't make up my mind wheather to just wear braces or too add a low waist coat.
No, I saw no reason to do so. Everything hit in the right spot, the trousers had a nice high rise, and the waistcoat appropriately covered everything.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kind of double post...discovered that thread too lately^^.

2me4pll.jpg

1z73swk.jpg

35n207n.jpg

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That collar reminds me of the one Charles Ryder's father wore in Brideshead Revisited. I wouldn't mind having one like it myself.

It's really the only wing collar that looks decent with shawl lapels.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just saw that you have a evening tailcoat, I'm in need (OK, I'm lying, for todays standards that's absolutely the last thing one can be in need^^) of some really matching trousers.
It seems that formal trousers with two stripes that are cut adequately high have become something that disappeard...any rtw sources?
If possible, I'd to avoid additional investment mtm or bespoke as that thing won't be used that often...

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine came paired together, so that the cloth and all matches. You're correct that the proper trousers, traditionally, are full cut and very high rise. Any time you try to 'match' black it gets tricky.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Wedding?

You're not teh ****?

I was surprised too. But hey--congrats, macuser. And, nice tux.

I don't think there's a real issue here. In fact, the braces are that much more important if anything. They'll keep your pants from riding down and letting your shirt stick out between your waistcoat and waistband.

Cravate Noire, that is a sweet ensemble.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you Grimslade!
Originally Posted by crazyquik
Mine came paired together, so that the cloth and all matches. You're correct that the proper trousers, traditionally, are full cut and very high rise. Any time you try to 'match' black it gets tricky.
I was a bit unclear, with "matching" I meant that most trousers that come with evening tailcoats are cut just the same way like normal evening wear trousers, I've seen tailcoats where the waistcoat didn't cover the trousers waistband...sometimes even with the waistcoat popping out under the tailcoat several cm. Though as you mention it, I might have to be a bit lucky to find a pair of trousers that aren't only cut well, but also made of a fabric that matches the tailcoat too... At least the next event I plan to attend with white tie will be in may^^.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From our recent cruise:

Formalcruise1.jpg

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's me and my better half at last weekend's Philly flower show.

1292998hg2.jpg

Here are some goofy self-pics...

1303038zc8.jpg

1303039pj0.jpg

Btw, after spending the good part of the month scouring this board and blacktieguide.com putting together my ensemble, I was shocked at how little effort other guys put on black ties. About 80% of the guys had clip-ons; a lot of guys had no vest/cummerbund; lots of color matching bowties with vests/cummerbunds; oxford shoes (not even shined) or even tassled loafers with a tux!

What I finally got:

RLPL Tuxedo (1B, Peak Lapel) - at a great price at a PRL outlet
PS Grosgrain bowtie
RLPL Grosgrain Cummerbund
CT studs
Bulgari cufflinks
AE Spencers
Albert Thurston braces

Anyway, thanks to all who helped me out! The only thing I forgot was the white silk pocket square from KWang, but I left it at home.
blush.gif

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, no way around that one!

I completely lucked out by calling the PRL outlet in Orlando. I asked if they had any tuxes in general in my size and they said "yes, but only RLPL". I was expecting to hear a price tag of $1500-2000, but it ended up being $600. It's a fantastic suit, imo.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gumercindo
Btw, after spending the good part of the month scouring this board and blacktieguide.com putting together my ensemble,
I was shocked at how little effort other guys put on black ties. About 80% of the guys had clip-ons; a lot of guys had no vest/cummerbund;
lots of color matching bowties with vests/cummerbunds; oxford shoes (not even shined) or even tassled loafers with a tux!

What I finally got:

RLPL Tuxedo (1B, Peak Lapel) - at a great price at a PRL outlet
PS Grosgrain bowtie
RLPL Grosgrain Cummerbund
CT studs
Bulgari cufflinks
AE Spencers
Albert Thurston braces

Hey, you did it right, and nicely done.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
(Though I might argue a RLPL dinner jacket calls for at least bourbon, if not rye, and that in real glass. )

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads