1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

formalwear pRon!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The_Foxx, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Well-Known Member

2. gumercindo

gumercindo Well-Known Member

Here's me and my better half at last weekend's Philly flower show.

[​IMG]

Here are some goofy self-pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Btw, after spending the good part of the month scouring this board and blacktieguide.com putting together my ensemble, I was shocked at how little effort other guys put on black ties. About 80% of the guys had clip-ons; a lot of guys had no vest/cummerbund; lots of color matching bowties with vests/cummerbunds; oxford shoes (not even shined) or even tassled loafers with a tux!

What I finally got:

RLPL Tuxedo (1B, Peak Lapel) - at a great price at a PRL outlet
    PS Grosgrain bowtie
    RLPL Grosgrain Cummerbund
    CT studs
    Bulgari cufflinks
    AE Spencers
    Albert Thurston braces

Anyway, thanks to all who helped me out! The only thing I forgot was the white silk pocket square from KWang, but I left it at home. [​IMG]

3. HomerJ

HomerJ Well-Known Member

Gumercindo, I see that beer you're hiding! :p

May I ask how much the pieces of your outfit cost..? I'd love to buy an RLPL tuxedo like that..

4. gumercindo

Yep, no way around that one!

I completely lucked out by calling the PRL outlet in Orlando. I asked if they had any tuxes in general in my size and they said "yes, but only RLPL". I was expecting to hear a price tag of $1500-2000, but it ended up being $600. It's a fantastic suit, imo.

5. james_timothy

james_timothy Well-Known Member

Btw, after spending the good part of the month scouring this board and blacktieguide.com putting together my ensemble,
    I was shocked at how little effort other guys put on black ties. About 80% of the guys had clip-ons; a lot of guys had no vest/cummerbund;
    lots of color matching bowties with vests/cummerbunds; oxford shoes (not even shined) or even tassled loafers with a tux!

What I finally got:

PS Grosgrain bowtie
    CT studs
    Bulgari cufflinks
    AE Spencers
    Albert Thurston braces

Hey, you did it right, and nicely done. [​IMG] (Though I might argue a RLPL dinner jacket calls for at least bourbon, if not rye, and that in real glass. )

6. quevola

quevola Well-Known Member

Looking good Gumercindo. Way to represent - you are one well-dressed Cubiche!

BTW, I have your avatar tattooed on my right shoulder [​IMG]

7. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Well-Known Member

Looking sharp-but DAMN! What was with your eyes in the first shot? Did it piss off your date when you started to turn into a werewolf in your nice tux? Or are you just a garden-variety Satan worshiper? [​IMG]

8. gumercindo

Looking good Gumercindo. Way to represent - you are one well-dressed Cubiche!

BTW, I have your avatar tattooed on my right shoulder [​IMG]

alabao, que vola!! thanks, bro.

Looking sharp-but DAMN! What was with your eyes in the first shot? Did it piss off your date when you started to turn into a werewolf in your nice tux? Or are you just a garden-variety Satan worshiper? [​IMG]

Yeah, I had the laser beam eyes going on.

9. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Well-Known Member

G--
    I really liked all of your high quality choices for your formalwear. Excellent across the board. I'm certain all of these will serve you for many years.

PS Grosgrain bowtie
    CT studs
    Bulgari cufflinks
    AE Spencers
    Albert Thurston braces

10. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

Those RLPL tuxes are fabulous; and esp. at that price!!

And you wear it well.

11. gumercindo

Those RLPL tuxes are fabulous; and esp. at that price!!

And you wear it well.

Thanks, they are indeed! After you had yours on for sale a while back, I thought I'd never have a chance at another well-priced RLPL tux again. Lucked out.

12. zalb916

zalb916 Well-Known Member

Finally got a chance to break out the formal wear at a friend's wedding this past weekend. The couple is Orthodox, which meant a dress with shoulders for the girlfriend. The tux and vest are RLPL. Studs, cufflinks, and bowtie are Paul Stuart. Shirt is Golden Fleece with turndown collar and small pleats. Pocket square is there, just hidden in the pic. [​IMG]

13. LesterSnodgrass

LesterSnodgrass Well-Known Member

From our recent cruise:

[​IMG]

This is the exact look I will be sporting at me wedding -- SB, peak lapel, white waistcoat with black bow tie, and patent opera pumps. Looks super sharp!!!

14. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

Forgot about this thread. Since it's back I'll post my dj from last week (also in WAYW):

[​IMG]

Detail:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. bartil

bartil Well-Known Member

What's the rules on a 3-pieced tuxedo? Single vent, sidevents, no vent at all? If single-breasted, how many buttons? How should the lapels be? Wich fabric and weight is most recommendable for all-year-use? Is it OK to wear a wing-collared shirt with a 3-pieced tuxedo?

16. sartort

sartort Well-Known Member

Here's me and my better half at last weekend's Philly flower show. RLPL Tuxedo (1B, Peak Lapel) - at a great price at a PRL outlet PS Grosgrain bowtie RLPL Grosgrain Cummerbund CT studs Bulgari cufflinks AE Spencers Albert Thurston braces Anyway, thanks to all who helped me out! The only thing I forgot was the white silk pocket square from KWang, but I left it at home. [​IMG]
    Finally got a chance to break out the formal wear at a friend's wedding this past weekend. The couple is Orthodox, which meant a dress with shoulders for the girlfriend. The tux and vest are RLPL. Studs, cufflinks, and bowtie are Paul Stuart. Shirt is Golden Fleece with turndown collar and small pleats. Pocket square is there, just hidden in the pic.
    I've been thinking about that Grosgrain Paul Stuart self bow tie. Looks pretty good. I think I'm sold. gumercindo, I have the same RLPL cummerbund, scored like you at a PRL factory store for $25 (from $225 retail). I had some thoughts about the Paul Stuart grosgrain not quite matching, but it looks good from your pics. Besides, I doubt it's anything any sane person would notice. The price ($60) is certainly a lot more attractive than $125 for the matching RLPL version.

17. The_Foxx

sartort, consider a robert talbott made to measure bowtie (faille goes really well with my grosgrain silk tux lapels). about the same price as a paul stuart tie, but no buckles/ adjusters.

I originally emailed them about this, and was contacted in a day or two about it:

RTC@ROBERTTALBOTT.COM

18. The_Foxx

by the way, Alan-- you (and the others sporting this shoe choice) are much braver than me, I don't think I could pull off the patent pumps with bows. Certainly the most trad choice, but it goes squarely against my 'What would Bond do?' ethos. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. JeffsWood

JeffsWood Well-Known Member

Here is my bit of black tie pRon. This is MTM outfit my tailor made for me. Just a basic dinner jacket that I get allot of wear out of. I have few shirts I rotate into the outfit, and a rotate between linen Pocket square and silk ones, other then that it stay about the same.

Some shots taken before an event a week ago:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/quote]

And a few shots from after an event last night:

Here is me and the Mrs.

[​IMG]

Here is shot of my favorite cuff links. They are old an ugly but they have found their way down through 3 generations of our family, so I wear them more then any other links.

[​IMG]

20. Deipnosophist

Deipnosophist Well-Known Member

I have a school leavers' prom in the next few days (a load of 17/18 year olds doing 'black tie' - how bad can it be? [​IMG]), and have just finished putting the final touches on my 'ensemble'. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]