• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formalwear Appreciation

Sebastian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackbowtie
Thanks! I wonder what the fit is like.

Well... English.

It is quite blousy, but that doesn't bother me in formal wear.

Deipnosophist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
That's awesome
worship.gif

Details?

And can I have permission to plaster this in every "I need help for prom thread!!!" in response to all the posters who say "You can't look good, you're young, just go and have a fun time"?

Thanks, Lel! Of course you have my permission, I'm glad you think it's a good example
biggrin.gif

Dinner jacket / trousers: M&S
Shirt: Thomas Pink
Bowtie: Henry Poole
Braces: Thurston
Cummerbund: M&S
Studs: Gieves & Hawkes
Cufflinks: Gieves & Hawkes
Pocket square: Thomas Pink
Shoes: M&S

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Time to resurrect this thread for the holidays! And TC, you've gotta tuck in the pocket flaps on that dinner jacket
smile.gif

young benefactors gala tonight, first black tie event for me this year; I think black tie optional events with a younger crowd get less and less tuxedos. There were probably only eight or ten attendees in dinner suits.

Brioni one button ventless tux with ribbed silk lapels
borrelli pleated front formal shirt, double button collar
white moire thurston braces
silver and gold barrels double sided cufflinks
RLPL ribbed silk cummberbund (with button loop to keep it in place; a nice detail)
robert talbott ribbed silk made to measure tie
brioni grey cotton pocketsquare
brooks brothers black silk blend over the calf socks
Cheany patent laceups

KtownGreg

Reaction score
Newtux34.jpg
Newtux35.jpg

Newtux36.jpg
Newtux30.jpg

Newtux32.jpg

Tux: Sammy MTM
Shirt: BB
Bow: BB
Shoes: Ferragamo
Watch: JLC​

LaoHu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KtownGreg
Newtux30.jpg

Watch: JLC​

Loss of iGent points for wearing a watch, any watch, with dinner clothes.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dsc.jpg
1934 Vintage Hart Schaffner & Marx Tuxedo. Lots of details -- an old-style "ticket pocket" on the inside of the right jacket (at an angle where the silk meets the wool), button fly, etc. Not perfect, but served me well. Am now waiting on the RLPL I picked up from Holdfast. Need to upgrade my waistcoat. Suggestions? White or black? Or something else that doesn't look like it came from the rental house? ~ H

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Deipnosophist
I have a school leavers' prom in the next few days (a load of 17/18 year olds doing 'black tie' - how bad can it be?
biggrin.gif
), and have just finished putting the final touches on my 'ensemble'.

ok27b8.jpg

35hqv7l.jpg

30k4msp.jpg

nvbgco.jpg

You win. I plan to absolutely get my prom outfit right as a commitment to StyleForum.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno, I'd say a smokin JLC reverso like that one goes great with a dinner suit. awesome.

Originally Posted by LaoHu
Loss of iGent points for wearing a watch, any watch, with dinner clothes.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
Time to resurrect this thread for the holidays! And TC, you've gotta tuck in the pocket flaps on that dinner jacket
smile.gif

young benefactors gala tonight, first black tie event for me this year; I think black tie optional events with a younger crowd get less and less tuxedos. There were probably only eight or ten attendees in dinner suits.

Brioni one button ventless tux with ribbed silk lapels
borrelli pleated front formal shirt, double button collar
white moire thurston braces
silver and gold barrels double sided cufflinks
RLPL ribbed silk cummberbund (with button loop to keep it in place; a nice detail)
robert talbott ribbed silk made to measure tie
brioni grey cotton pocketsquare
brooks brothers black silk blend over the calf socks
Cheany patent laceups

Sharper than a tack.

harry2quinn

Reaction score
I've been waiting for a while to post on this thread...
  • Bespoke tuxedo - VBC cloth, peak lapel, satin silk lapels (kind of stressed cloth, so it's kind of interesting), 3 working buttons, dual vents (can close later if desired), black paisley silk lining, jetted pockets, roped shoulders, flat-front waist (not normal, but that's how it looks good on me), split waistband in the back, uncuffed
  • Bespoke cotton shirt, spread collar
  • Giorgio Armani cummerbund (gray)/ bespoke cummerbund (black)
  • Brioni bowtie
  • Fleur-de-lis sterling silver cufflinks
  • White silk PS
  • J. Press suspenders
  • Black nylon (I ordered silk, and this is what the shop gave me - I'm not happy) socks
  • Red rose
  • Gold bracelet
  • Burberry cologne
IMG_DJ2.jpg
IMG_0631.jpg
IMG_0628.jpg
IMG_0639.jpg

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
A(nother) recent n00b-thread which I apparently helped revive made me want to see more evening wear pics.

Even though only waiters wear black tie, I'll allow these as well.

EDIT: Also other formal wear pics of morning coats or even the elusive strollers are appreciated.

Copied from threak:

1234567.jpg

Me singing my 'year song' during an altogether more elegant affair.

The 'suit' is a simple clack Peek & Cloppenburg, probably about 35 years old. Shirt has a detachable collar and prÃ
00a9.png
-made bowtie.(!) MOP fasteners.

Didn't realise a thread already existed...

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harry2quinn

• Bespoke tuxedo - VBC cloth, peak lapel, satin silk lapels (kind of stressed cloth, so it's kind of interesting), 3 working buttons, dual vents (can close later if desired), black paisley silk lining, jetted pockets, roped shoulders, flat-front waist (not normal, but that's how it looks good on me), split waistband in the back, uncuffed
  • Bespoke cotton shirt, spread collar
  • Giorgio Armani cummerbund (gray)/ bespoke cummerbund (black)
  • Brioni bowtie
  • Fleur-de-lis sterling silver cufflinks
  • White silk PS
  • J. Press suspenders
  • Black nylon (I ordered silk, and this is what the shop gave me - I'm not happy) socks
  • Red rose

IMG_DJ2.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

First of all, let me say that the First picture is not very flattering look. It may be the camera angle (everybody else around here blames it, so you can too!
smile.gif
), but you look like you've got a big head, is 5" tall, and has a 12" drop with two twiggy sticks for legs. The pose you strike reminds me of an ex-forumite (forgot his name) who has a body-builder physique and always look funny in posts.

You would have done better going with a black bowtie. The silver colored bowtie you've got on is huge, and just brings attention to the head/neck area (making you "top heavy")

I'm not a fan, at all, of a tuxedo shirt being patterned like yours. And if you are going with such traditional looks, why skimp on the shirt studs?

Please tell me you are NOT wearing a pair of monkstraps?
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads