• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foo shops for a Japanese knife

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also...I note that in one of the product photos, they appear to be attempting to sharpen their honing steel...

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

yeah, the 140 is rough. I'll start with the 220 and see how it goes. Never sharpened a thick blade like this.

turned out pretty well

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice! I also have a package-opening pocket knife that needs a some work. Despite basically only cutting packing tape, it somehow has a big nick in the edge...

What angle did you go with?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
yeah, packing tape is about as much as this thing encounters. Maybe a bag of dog food if the scissors are too far away.

ended up doing just over 22 degrees. The 220 dug right in, no problems at all.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
did some work tonight. awesome results (yes, there are stains on the carbon part of that knife, somebody not named gomestar decided to cut up some limes and leave the knife to marinate in lime acid):

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I chipped my Takemura!

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Drive it down to Nj I will fix it.

Gome you need some uchigumori finger stones to take out the stains.

I have gotten my Heiji to the point where it will cut a hanging hair, hehehe. Cuts fish too.,..

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

Gome you need some uchigumori finger stones to take out the stains.

I have something that removes rust stains on carbon, but I actually like the way that one knife looks (and truth be told, that picture is a little crappy). A better look at the edge according to my iPhone:

edge looks crappy and uneven in this pic, not sure why
25907823084_96a5ae3f7c_c.jpg

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah I'd leave that alone. Oddly enough it bothers me (on my knife) only at the hamon line. Last time someone helped me make sushi they borrowed my knife for two cuts, then washed it and left it to dry.,,.,Very nice and polite thing to do (except on a sushi knife, lol). I tried ,my absolute hardest to leave that character on the knife but my OCD took over.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gome inspired me to sharpen my CRKT Drifter which had a chip in it.

I'd been holding off because of both the recurve and because the big hollow grind makes it hard to sit flat on the edge pro (and it is too small to just clamp it in place on the non-ground section of the blade).

Got the chip out and the blade's looking great (though not as perfect as gome's). Keeping it flat on the hollow grind wasn't so bad now that I added magnets to my edgepro. The recurve was annoying though...going through that section, only the corner of the stone really made contact with the edge. Everything took a long time and it was hard to get a visually smooth finish with the final stones since it was too easy to apply slightly more pressure in one point (but hey...only noticeable when you are staring at reflections off the blade from bright lights).

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, the 140 is rough. I'll start with the 220 and see how it goes. Never sharpened a thick blade like this.

turned out pretty well

That's a beautiful edge. But isn't it kind of wasted on a pocket knife? Kitchen knives are one thing, but I have always thought that "work knives" which might get used on a wide variety of materials should be "under-sharpened" if that's the word. Is that not correct?

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My fake edge pro came in today. Will see if I can make some time tonight to futz around with the stock stones on an older knife to get the hang of things. Will probably order better stones shortly after.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

That's a beautiful edge. But isn't it kind of wasted on a pocket knife? Kitchen knives are one thing, but I have always thought that "work knives" which might get used on a wide variety of materials should be "under-sharpened" if that's the word. Is that not correct?

I'm no expert on knives like this, though YouTube videos of the edge pro and edge pro-like stuff usually has a ton of pocket knives being worked. It's actually where I got the idea, "oh ****, I have a knife like that and never use it because it's dull like a stick". I could certainly see the need for a duller outdoor utility knife, though I'm as outdoor friendly as a house cat and it'll never be used in the wild for anything beyond packing tape.

also note that the edge angle is nowhere near that of a Japanese kitchen knife, it's just like the factory angle just sharper now that it has been sharpened.

My fake edge pro came in today. Will see if I can make some time tonight to futz around with the stock stones on an older knife to get the hang of things. Will probably order better stones shortly after.

you could always borrow my stones and angle cube in exchange for a beer. If you like them, then get your own.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

suppose some tips would be ideal (as gathered from the world's DIY resource: YouTube):

- light pressure on the down stroke, slightly more pressure going up (but you do not need to push hard or anything, the stones will do their work)
- up-down-up-down, not much left-right left-right
- don't worry if your edge looks busted on the rougher stones. The smoother ones will handle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads