• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foo shops for a Japanese knife

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That's a beautiful edge. But isn't it kind of wasted on a pocket knife? Kitchen knives are one thing, but I have always thought that "work knives" which might get used on a wide variety of materials should be "under-sharpened" if that's the word. Is that not correct?

A honed edge will hold up better than a rougher edge, so if the intend it for utility than the honed edge is the one to have. If you look at a rough edge under a microscope you'll see a lot of jagged peaks, those peaks wear off very rapidly leaving a ragged and dull edge within a few cuts.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
edge pro stones dish like crazy so you will need to flatten them often

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do they dish worse than chosera? Chosera aren't bad, but I wish they were a lot harder.

Do you guys keep a finish stone in hand to touch up your blades as you use them? Most of my blades don't see anything other than finish stones after setup.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I haven't used anything but an 8000 in a long time. But I have a chip now that I have to deal with somehow.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How bad is the chip?

After you fix it you may want to put a small microbevel on it to strengthen the edge. Small meaning a few swipes on the 8k stone.

I do this on knives and chisels. If it's a single bevel, just do it on the bevel side.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
It's very small.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer and advice @gomestar. So far all I've done is taken it out of the box and half assembled it. I haven't even watched any videos or anything really, been too busy getting my new-to-me commuter bike set up.

Your office is in Tribeca I gather, I'm in Meatpacking so we could easily meet up.

Last edited:

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So anyone have a good reason not to buy something like this and call it good? I have some really fine water stones but my knives are beat to **** and need something more aggressive. I could buy the edge pro (fake) but I'm not crazy about buying three or four new stones as well. Plus I can use these on other tools should the spirit take me.

http://www.amazon.com/DMT-WM8FC-8-I...rue&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_5&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You could use those to restore an edge, but followed up with a progression of stones to bring your knife to at least 1000-2000 grit.

If I have something chipped, I usually start at about 400 grit~, I prefer Atoma plates but tools require a flatter surface than those DMT hones. Then jump to 1k, then 3k, then finish stone.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A 220 grit Shapton glass stone is as coarse as I own, although I know they make a 120 too. Either of those would be fairly aggressive. I've never tried the DMT DuoSharp line for knives or tools, but I use a DMT DiaSharp as a stone flattener, and it works great for that purpose.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a beautiful edge. But isn't it kind of wasted on a pocket knife? Kitchen knives are one thing, but I have always thought that "work knives" which might get used on a wide variety of materials should be "under-sharpened" if that's the word. Is that not correct?

A honed edge will hold up better than a rougher edge, so if the intend it for utility than the honed edge is the one to have. If you look at a rough edge under a microscope you'll see a lot of jagged peaks, those peaks wear off very rapidly leaving a ragged and dull edge within a few cuts.

On all of my non-kitchen knives, the bevel has noticeable "top to bottom" striations. They aren't microscopic. If you look carefully, you can see them with the naked eye. Some are quite noticeable. This isn't something I did. They came that way.

I had assumed that this was a method of "strengthening" the edge. In other words, the striations provide support to the edge and keep it from turning so that you don't have to use a steel on it as often.

Is this completely over-thought BS? Is this just an artifact of some sucky, cheap industrial sharpening process? Will these blades actually be more durable if all of these striations are polished out thereby making the bevel even thinner?

Inquiring minds on a boring conference call want to know!

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
LOL. My guess is that's just a quick way to make a knife that cuts well for most people's intentions (micro serrations) for a fairly long time. I've seen scissors made like that.

braised

Reaction score

On all of my non-kitchen knives, the bevel has noticeable "top to bottom" striations. !

That's likely the result of the edge being sharpened with a belt grinder with a coarser grit. The edge can be quite durable and tootlhy. A chen knife sharpened past 1,000 on a water stone looses those marks and becomes mirror polished after around 6,000 or 8,000.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In case anyone is looking for a new sharpening system...Massdrop has the Hapstone system that I always thought looked like a better option than the EdgePro (but seemed hard to find outside of eastern Europe). Metal construction and cool looking.

Way more expensive than the amazon edgepro knockoffs, but seems like an ok price for the unit plus set of silicon carbide stones in addition to the basic stones.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/hapstone-v6-knife-sharpener

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member