• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foo shops for a Japanese knife

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
There are, but if I wanted a 210 gyuto in that range, I do believe those are the two best options, hands down.

mikeman

Reaction score
One more question! When buying sharpening stones, what are the best grits to get for regular maintenance?

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recommend 500x or thereabouts for major resharpening/reprofiling, 1000x for regular sharpening, and something between 3000x/6000x (depends to some extent on what you use the knife for as well as the steel it's made of) for finishing the edge and touch-ups.

Last one is optional until you've got the hang of sharpening.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I have found that once I have a good edge, all I need is the finest grit to restore it about once a month. So I haven't used anything but that 8,000 in ages.

mikeman

Reaction score

I have found that once I have a good edge, all I need is the finest grit to restore it about once a month. So I haven't used anything but that 8,000 in ages.

Thanks. When I purchase my new knife i won't be too concerned. However, my parents have a set of Global knives that they got sharpened for free at SurlaTable...I'm pretty sure they just run them through some crappy machine... would a 1,000/ 6,000 combo stone fix them up?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
depends. You don't know what geometry that machine put on the edge. Some are made to do a japanese bevel at 15 degrees, others are at 22. If they are beveled wrong, it might be a lot of work to fix the geometry.

Also, while 1K to 6K is OK, you would be better off with something in between, either 2K or 3K.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I have the Masamoto and it's just awesome (and it's how Manton has Masamoto sharpening experience). No experience with the other suggestion, but I doubt you can go wrong.

The Masamoto is, in my inexperienced opinion, very much a worker knife. Whatever hard root veg I throw at it, it's there. Wash, rinse, repeat, and then it's back up to work more. My Kotetsu Aogami Super long petty is a much cooler knife, carbon edge and all. But I don't use it as a worker knife like the Masamoto.

mikeman

Reaction score
Good to know, and thanks for making my decision that much more difficult! I know, I'm over thinking this, and any of the knives I used will be great!

I did wonder about something while browsing knives. It seems that this 33 layer damascus knife made by hand is everywhere. HOWEVER, it seems to be made by like 3 (that I've seen) makers. Just coincidence and popular look to copy or what?

http://www.chuboknives.com/products/sakai-takayuki-33-layer-damascus-gyutou-210mm-8-2#.VkFdpK6rRp9

http://www.amazon.com/Yoshihiro-Ham...id=1447124423&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=yoshihiri

http://korin.com/Togiharu-Hammered-Damascus-Gyutou?sc=27&category=280059

Last edited:

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
found a chopping board.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Finally getting a good kasumi finish

FEB08C76-1434-4F8D-AB2F-34703C1EC782_zpsn3otilhy.jpg

There has been some interesting lessons here that don't necessarily cross over easily from tools. The edge of those knife is a 'hamaguri' or clamshell shape and that basically means that it is a tapering convex edge. Easy to maintain the extreme edge but required a bit more work in setup and to put the final finish on (or what approaches final finish) I had acquired some uchigumori stones to break up and make into finger stones to create an even kasumi finish on the convex edge. The extreme edge is finished with my Nakayama asagi (30,000 grit~).

Cuts fish like crazy, hehe.

and this has turned out to be a very stupid plan when the goal is saving a few bucks on sushi dinners.

Last edited:

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great looking end grain board @SkinnyGoomba! What kind of wood is that? Is that store bought, or custom?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks Fred, it's made from larchwood and I believe the company that makes it is 'larchwood cutting boards'. Larch is a softwood and comes from Canada.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A 150mm petty is a very useful knife, but I'd strongly encourage you to think about a 240mm gyuto instead of a 210mm. Not only will you use the extra length more than you might think, but the resulting change in profile creates a longer "sweet spot" of basically flat edge that will help you get faster and more efficient in your cuts.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads