• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Folded Up Shirt Appreciation

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Cross posted from my affiliate thread but though you guys might appreciate some if the samples I just received in, for my first range of shirts due to be released in August. Collar points on the cutaway will be shortened slightly.
These are Made in Italy, beautiful cottons, nice thick MOP buttons and a slim fit. All for about $109.95 AUD.

Very handsome, but I wouldn't have the collar stitching so close to the edge. It's trendy bordering on unfortunate...

As someone who doesn't know the history or the rationale for having stitching on the collar inset as far as most shirts do, I actually prefer it not inset like these are here. The stitching so far in (say 1/4") adds a visual element that just clutters the look up. Again, if there's a good reason for it, I'm all ears.

I'll also add that, again as one of the great unwashed on this, I've long suspected the opposite: that the inset stitching on the collar was trendy, and the more inset and/or pronounced, the more gauche it looked to me (a lot like the over-the-top pic stitching on some suits). I'd much rather have these with the stitching almost at the edge where, outside of close inspection, it's practically invisible.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Basic

pAZ0c.jpg

IjKrD.jpg

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
G&R cotton/linen blend. Not sure of the percentages (60/40?) but great texture, finish and weight to the fabric, better than others I have seen or touched. Not sure if Carl has any more of this fabric, I may have gotten the last of it. Coming up next will be the stripe versions of this, just great year round shirts. Collar is the special "edmorel" collar that Carl and I worked up, elongated points, a bit of a curve and same height all around. You couldn't tell by looking at my face that I gained 15 pounds this winter :lookaround:

016.jpg

017.jpg

A fellow forum member saw them in person and asked what kind of tie I'd wear them with, obviously anything solid of grenadine-ish but also small patterned stuff where the pattern is not super tightly spaced:

019-1.jpg

020.jpg

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Ed,
I believe it is 60/40. I got a sport shirt made by Carl. I should post it. Yours look great.

67% cotton/33% linen it is an oxford weave very dense for a cotton/linen blend.

this is a quality called new Vesper it was bought from collection not the instock program.

I still have some of both blue checks
two multicolored checks
the blue university stripe
solid white
solid blue

emptym

Reaction score

Thank you. I'll probably order a couple this week. I was considering the warzone as well. Does it feel like a workable year-round weight for SF?

The weight would be great for SF.
Mark, I'm really not sure about the fit, especially on the grey shirt. The sleevehead seems to be quite far out on your shoulder, really onto your upper arm, while there seems to be a lot of excess fabric around your waist and in the sleeves. IMO I'd narrow the shoulders and slim down the waist and sleeves.
I'm looking forward to getting a look at those swatches!

They do look a little full in the pictures, but I like shirts this way since I care way more about comfort and motion than lack of creasing when it comes to shirts. I did add a half inch to the shoulder measurements of some other shirts I have, but I also took an inch from the waist. The top of the arms are a little full imo, but that was the best way to get room at the elbow. The second round of shirts has tighter armholes but fuller elbows, both of which would be better for movement.
Have you been able to see SB for the swatches?

Last edited:

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
emptym, those shirts look good, a bit fuller than what most here like but I like the way they look on you. I would only suggest slightly longer points on both collars and I think maybe a bit taller height? If you wear these with a jacket, how much collar would you see from the back?

BTW, those pants are very nicely cut, are they Chan?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I ordered a shirt from Luxire, should be here on Friday. I didn't get the warzone, but maybe the next one if I like the way this turns out. They're already more responsive than the other shirtmakers I've used.

I dropped off the swatches at imatlas's place on Saturday.

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I ordered a shirt from Luxire, should be here on Friday. I didn't get the warzone, but maybe the next one if I like the way this turns out. They're already more responsive than the other shirtmakers I've used.
I dropped off the swatches at imatlas's place on Saturday.

I don't mean to dump cold water on your enthusiasm here, but I received a shirt from Luxire about a week ago. Seemed inexpensive enough to order a test. I have to say, I'm not altogether impressed with the quality. Seems like a fairly typical, machine-made garment, and the cloth leaves a lot to be desired. I'd put it on par with a Land's End shirt, or maybe a baseline BB shirt. Nothing special.

The fit isn't bad, though, and for the price, I guess I got what I paid for. People expecting an inexpensive holy grail in Luxire are going to be disappointed. People expecting an inexpensive shirt with a reasonably customizable out-of-the-box fit, however, will probably do all right. Manage expectations accordingly, I suppose.

Also -- and I realize this can probably be corrected by leaving them a note in the order comments, but I certainly wasn't expecting it -- the monogram is freaking enormous. We're talking at least an 80-point font. It looks extremely tacky, almost like one of those Big Pony logos on the cheesier line of Ralph Lauren polos.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads