• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Folded Up Shirt Appreciation

Ricini

Reaction score
Yes, but I am posting as to do away with the shilling here, not add to it. I'll take down the description, if it pleases, just thought posting deets is what most did. I planned on adding shirts from other makers when I have time.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You misunderstood my comment. I wasn't accusing you of anything, but simply thought it was interesting to see her shirts as she is a well regarded, yet somewhat obscure, maker who isn't discussed often on SF.

Ricini

Reaction score
Sorry, ET. don't know why I got a bit defensive there. I really did just want to change the recent tenor of thread. The finishing on Burgos' shirts is quite good, but it may take a bit of work to get the fit you want, though perhaps not more than it does with other makers not named Kabbaz.
R

Ricini

Reaction score
Shirtmaven,

Are you referring to the puckering on the placket? It is a bit exaggerated in the photo. I am curious about how a high SPI affects certain shirtings, though. Would you explain further (again, just curious)? The chambray is not nearly as open as the voile, yet the chambray does pucker a bit more. Wouldn't the voile pucker as much or more, then?

The Bengal is a standard 100s broadcloth from the Spanish firm textivea.
Thanks,
R

Last edited:

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Shirtmaven,

Are you referring to the puckering on the placket? It is a bit exaggerated in the photo. I am curious about how a high SPI affects certain shirtings, though. Would you explain further (again, just curious)? The chambray is not nearly as open as the voile, yet the chambray does pucker a bit more. Wouldn't the voile pucker as much or more, then?

The Bengal is a standard 100s broadcloth from the Spanish firm textivea.
Thanks,
R

I will not ignore this but will write more later.

the blue Popelin Ingles Novedad from Textiber a spanish mil in Barcelona that is under appreciated.
at the moment, everything is still made there and nothing is outsourced Popeline extra is a 120/2 that is also great.

there basics are just as good if not better then thomas mason silverline.

Ricini

Reaction score
SM,

I'd never heard of Textiber until I moved here, and I found them a good replacement for Thomas Mason, which Burgos doesn't stock. In fact, Textiber doesn't seem to be quite so hit or miss as TM, and provides similar value.

Do reply about the puckering when you've time.

Thanks,
R

PS I am beginning to agree with you about SG's chambray. Though I like the color and hand of the two I have, I'm not certain they are going to hold up terribly well. What's more, I think nearly anything by Alumo is a better choice, as they are at similar price points. My problem is that a good deal of Alumo's shirtings are a bit too precious for me, and tend to look better under worsteds anyway, which I rarely wear. Any suggestions for something with a bit of texture to wear under soft and textured odd jackets? Who makes good pinpoints and oxfords that don't lean too closely toward workwear?

R

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
as you know, I am not a fan of the SG chambray. if It was $10 a yard, I would not comment.

was the SG fabric washed and dried prior to cutting.
the SG fabric is a loose weave. should be sewn with about 18spi. it looks as if the machine was still set for 21spi.
the tight needle will not move no mater how much you stretch.
not sure what sort of thread is being used.

Textiber has a great selection of sport shirt fabric. order it with confidence.

luxire

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
as you know, I am not a fan of the SG chambray. if It was $10 a yard, I would not comment.
was the SG fabric washed and dried prior to cutting.
the SG fabric is a loose weave. should be sewn with about 18spi. it looks as if the machine was still set for 21spi.
the tight needle will not move no mater how much you stretch.
not sure what sort of thread is being used.
Textiber has a great selection of sport shirt fabric. order it with confidence.

On the second image, the close-up, the spi does not seem to be so high. On the right side of the placket, just below the neck band, some bad stitching seems to be visible.

The wash-dry seems to be the more likely reason.

The shirt does look comfortable though.

Playlife

Reaction score

Just picked up my first shirts from Jantzen in Hong Kong - after more than 10 years of travelling to HK I finally wanted to try tailormade shirts...

dkaardal

Reaction score
Just started on my MTM shirt journey - I've ordered one from ModernTailor, one form iTailor, and as of last night two from Luxire. Here's the first one to arrive!

This was the $20 Blue Oxford intro shirt (ModernTailor)

-Donovan

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
always wanted to post here. i hope im doing this right.

9DEB54B6-BD64-4B91-8048-1E7DD12C8FFA-7057-0000065085328042.jpg

02BC4072-90E6-4C57-B7C0-7BE416A0A0C4-7057-00000650754E1A64.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads