• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First sportscoat/most versatile sport coat

wishiwasricher

Reaction score
I have been inspired by many of the WAYWT threads posts and I am now looking to get my first patterned sportscoat.

I have a couple of staple blazers that I wear, including a grey cashmere and a solid navy, and looking to expand the wardrobe. In fact most of my suits are solid colours.

What do you think is the most versatile colour pattern in a sport coat/blazer/jacket?

I was thinking something like the Brown Check havana from SS...

Any ideas would be appreciated.
https://eu.suitsupply.com/en/jackets/havana-brown-check/C1112.html?cgid=Jackets

Satmoche

Reaction score
Brown check works well and it is a good choice considering you already have both a plain grey and a navy.
The specific Suitsupply jacket is a summer one though, so buy it if it is mainly hot the whole year.
You can also go for MtO via their website - Custom Made.

facet

Reaction score
I’d agree that brown is a good choice. But if your talking about versatility, then I’d be going with a darker colour. That being said, you could argue that you don’t really need something that versatile since you already have navy and grey covered.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A navy with a check or subtle windowpane would be a great option

wishiwasricher

Reaction score
I searched through the previous “recommend me a sport coat” threads and there are some ideas.

I guess given I had the solids already I was wondering if there was a check that was considered a staple (POW, windowpane) etc.

Given my budget problem only extends to suit supply at this stage, I’ll keep looking through theirs and choose a pattern I like.

facet

Reaction score
I would say either could be fine, although it would depend on the boldness of the pattern for windowpane, as Viral has already noted. Also, herringbone and gun check are other patterns that are quite common and would be useful for you. If your budget is SS, then I would recommend taking a look at spier and mackay. If it’s logistically feasible for you, then it could be a more affordable option.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neither your question nor any answer considers 'what are you going to wear it with' and 'on what occasions are you going to wear it'. If you are going to pair it with jeans then that suggests a certain cloth, if in the country an entirely different cloth comes to mind.

Start with basics then move on to spending your money.

wishiwasricher

Reaction score
I tend to pair the jackets with chinos and dress pants. My work isn’t so formal that I need to wear suits every day, but I just wanted to add some flexibility.

Is S&M a higher quality than SS at the $4-500 price point? Or similar? I’ve seen opposing views but haven’t had much experience with the S&M brand.

facet

Reaction score
Not entirely sure to be honest. I have stuff from both and haven’t noticed too much of a difference. That being said, S&M is quite a bit less than SS so I’ve been buying from the former lately because of that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads