• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Double Breasted Suit, Need Help

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
I just passed the bar and I am looking to expand my suit collection fairly quickly. I don't have any double breasted suits, so I am thinking that one of my next two new suits will be a DB. However, I don't really know much about them so I was wondering if you could help me out.

1) DB is wholly appropriate for a lawyer, right? If it matters, I will be working on the transactional side of things.

2) I wear a 50XL, a DB will still work for someone who is 6'8" and 265lbs, correct?

3) Should a DB fit closer to the body than a SB?

4) I own a navy suit but not a gray flannel. Would one still suggest I go with the classic navy for the first suit?

5) Single or Double Vent?

6) Number of buttons?

All I know for sure is that I want peak lapels. Are there other important factors that I am not taking into account?

Thanks

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BoomDiggs
I just passed the bar and I am looking to expand my suit collection fairly quickly. I don't have any double breasted suits, so I am thinking that one of my next two new suits will be a DB. However, I don't really know much about them so I was wondering if you could help me out. 1) DB is wholly appropriate for a lawyer, right? If it matters, I will be working on the transactional side of things. 2) I wear a 50XL, a DB will still work for someone who is 6'8" and 265lbs, correct? 3) Should a DB fit closer to the body than a SB? 4) I own a navy suit but not a gray flannel. Would one still suggest I go with the classic navy for the first suit? 5) Single or Double Vent? 6) Number of buttons? All I know for sure is that I want peak lapels. Are there other important factors that I am not taking into account? Thanks
1. I wouldn't know enough about the law profession to answer this. 2. DB's work for everyone and every body type. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise. 3. Most definitely. DB's must fit much more perfectly than a SB, as any flaws in tailoring or fit will stand out a lot more with a DB. A DB coat is the time to be completely OCD about fit. 4. Gray flannel would be great for a first DB suit, IMO. 5. Either double vents or unvented. Single vents look absolutely awful on DB coats, IMO. 6. For your size, I'd go with a classic 6x2. As for peak lapels--well, double-breasted coats with notch lapels simply shouldn't exist. Peak is a must. One other thing, in addition to the number of buttons, is the position of the buttons. For your physique, I'd suggest buttons that are a bit farther apart horizontally to make sure the button positions are proportional to your body. On a large guy, if the buttons are too close together (horizontally), it will just look very off. Same for a small guy with buttons that are too widely spaced.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just passed the bar and I am looking to expand my suit collection fairly quickly. I don't have any double breasted suits, so I am thinking that one of my next two new suits will be a DB. However, I don't really know much about them so I was wondering if you could help me out.

1) DB is wholly appropriate for a lawyer, right? If it matters, I will be working on the transactional side of things.

2) I wear a 50XL, a DB will still work for someone who is 6'8" and 265lbs, correct?

4) I own a navy suit but not a gray flannel. Would one still suggest I go with the classic navy for the first suit?

6) Number of buttons?

All I know for sure is that I want peak lapels. Are there other important factors that I am not taking into account?

Thanks

1) don't know

2) don't know

3) no, it should fit, that's it

4) dark grey works, too

5) double

6) six

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes.

6) Number of buttons?
Either navy windowpane or a grey flannel would look great.

I prefer the double vent on a DB suit.

6x2 is the best arrangement for buttons.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For your height, don't leap into a windowpane design. It might look like someone's stamp collection. Navy or dark grey solid would work (flannel is fine, worsted especially so if it's going to see some use), or try chalk stripes widely spaced if you're going to wear during the day only and if it suits your own style.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I'd say DB's are appropriate for lawyers in general, if you're a young lawyer just starting out I'd advise against it, if only because nobody wears them and you might not want to stand out too much. Especially if you're working for a firm and all. Once you get settled in after a few years and have a little seniority, then I'd go for it.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by needshoehelp
While I'd say DB's are appropriate for lawyers in general, if you're a young lawyer just starting out I'd advise against it, if only because nobody wears them and you might not want to stand out too much. Especially if you're working for a firm and all. Once you get settled in after a few years and have a little seniority, then I'd go for it.

This is good advice. If you don't know your colleagues, I'd at least get the lay of the land before breaking out the DBs -- especially if you're a younger guy who went straight from undergrad to law school.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2. Bespoke double-breasted can work on virtually anyone, but he didn't say it would be bespoke. Nor has he provided pictures to see how easily the type might flatter him.
5. Vents also calls for pictures.

Fabric weight is another important consideration. All else being equal, double-breasted probably will feel warmer than single-breasted. In general, DB is not advisable for a new attorney, but at 6'8", unless it doesn't go well with his body type, probably few people would give it much attention.

mimile

Reaction score
BoomDiggs;2453528 said:

6) Number of buttons?

1) Yes,
2) Yes,
3) same,
4) I would get navy and gray flannel,
5) double vent because you are tall,
6) 6x2 is the best

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think with your statue, a DB suit wouldn't stand out even if you're a new lawyer, however you might want some other lawyers input.

Agree with the general consensus, make sure if you get RTW to get a good tailor and make sure it fits perfectly, otherwise I would go bespoke or MTM, it's easy to ruin a DB.

it's not going to fit more closely persay but it'll have an overall different feel than SB, since your going to be keeping it buttoned, and it wraps around/overlaps.

I would go with double vents

6x2 is classic
I also am a fan of a 6x1 like http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/2/4...6516339_tp.jpg
but thats just me.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DB is usualy a boxier fit and not very figure flattering and is appropiate for a lawyer, if your a lawyer of the 80's or 90's. DB suit just arent in style these days, for your size it would work out but your better off with a two or three button SB.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only other decisions you have to make are flat front or pleated trousers (I'd always go flat), two piece or three (3 piece feels like 80s banker to me) and whether you go with one lapel buttonhole or one on each side.

I think in contrast to what others have said that the DB suit can be very modern, if it's cut with a lot of waist suppression and short body. Not sure that either is appropriate for a young lawyer, but I have no knowledge of that profession. I just know that people at my work dress a certain way but I don't really care because I'd rather follow my own stylistic instincts anyways (as a young lawyer you may have a very different perspective on this, which is quite understandable).

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
DB is usualy a boxier fit and not very figure flattering and is appropiate for a lawyer, if your a lawyer of the 80's or 90's. DB suit just arent in style these days, for your size it would work out but your better off with a two or three button SB.

eh.gif

DCPHIL

Reaction score
May have already been noted in posts, but check out this month's American or British version of GQ. Decent article focused on a more modern look. While pricey, Ford and Brioni have some pretty neat DB jackets and suits on the mkt these days.

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
You, good sir, are insane. Either that, or you've only seen terrible double-breasteds.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads