• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ughhh... bought the tan 256 as my first piece of Filson but am wondering if I'm going to regret not getting the 257... might just have to end up picking up an olive 257 to complete the set.

Truthfully, though, I wouldn't fill up the 257 (i think).... i carry a 15" rMBP and maybe one book, some charging cords on my to-from work. If I bring a lunch I usually carry an extra bag for it....... Someone agree with me so I don't regret it. Still waiting for my 256 to arrive!
256 should be fine for that load.

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi folks
I'm looking for a solution to short biz trips 2/3 days, where I can just take 1 bag for clothes plus laptop. I like the look of the 48 hr duffle but can't find many pics / reviews online. Anyone here got on and care to comment?
Any other options to look at? I'd have gone for a 266 sportsmans bag but no longer made. Zip tote gets good reviews but I fear might be too small and lacks external zip pockets. I already have 258 computer bag but it struggles beyond a simple overnight (mainly because can't accomodate additional shoes)
Thanks!

Follow up on this (thanks to Soletrane and MGrennier)

After much consideration and a chat with Filson I've settled on the 48 hour duffle in tan.

The need was to handle 2-3 day trips, with laptop, all in a single bag.

I thought hard about
Zip Tote - concerned about being too small, and no good sized exterior pockets for bits and pieces, chargers etc

Original Sportsman - can be found at around $260 so good value, but a bit square/boxy in shape. Lots of outside pockets, but button closure didnt really appeal. I wasn't 100% sold on the 2 -tone tan/green twill/tin cloth. Tip'o'the hat to Soletrane for pointing out that the 266 was a bit wide when arirport carrying)

Meridian duffle - great size, several rave reviews. But no good exterior pockets except the single flat on on the front.

So the 48 hr duffle won it for me on looks (which I love - rugged and nicely proportioned), practicality of pockets, 'over the shoulder' leather straps, and structured/double lined base.

I'll post a pic or two when it arrives, in the meantime here is a nice pic courtesy of beaubags. Pretty, isn't it?!

eggplantsplz

Reaction score
very nice - congratulations!

who else is in a position where they just bought one bag and area already thinking of the next one that they're going to buy.... hahaha

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speedy611, good choice. Easy to carry with exterior pockets are critical features for travel. The 48 is almost shaped like a large briefcase so well suited for business travel as most of your larger items will be narrow and broad like laptops, folded dress shirt, pants. etc.

Last edited:

jgb100

Reaction score
I was wondering about the differences between a 256, 257, and the 24 hour bags were. I've seen comparisons between the 256 and 257, but I can't find much about how the 24 hour compares to those. I am a student and based on what I've read I don't think that the 256 would be the right bag for me. Does anybody have an opinion on the 24 hour bag? Also, is there any difference between the 72 hour bag and the 24 hour bag other than a name change? Finally, does anybody have a suggestion on what color is best, I was thinking the olive color, but I'm definitely open to suggestions.

myrddincox

Reaction score
I just went through the same decision making process - comparing the 256, 257, and the 24/72 hr bag (as I understand it, the 24 is just a new name for the exact same bag as the 72 hr.). I ended up purchasing both the 256 and the 24 hr to make a final decision. I would describe the 24 as being about the same size as the 256 with the addition of some very useful features. Namely, two front zippered pouches, two front pockets behind the pouches (great for stashing things like a moleskin notebook quickly), and the addition of the trolley strap for stacking on a suitcase. In addition, the interior is a bit different (and more useful in my opinion) on the 24. Finally - the other main difference is in material (I went with the tin cloth - the 256 is heavier twill). One other thing to keep in mind is that the 24 comes with a nylon shoulder strap, which I exchanged for the leather.

Overall - I find the 24 fits my needs extremely well, and I very much prefer it over the 256. In fact, I will be selling the 256 (which I never used). Color is a tough decision as well, and I don't think you can really go wrong. I went with tan, but really considered brown, olive, and navy. The tan does transfer color from denim which may, or may not, be a good thing in your opinion.

jgb100

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for all of that. How much do you usually carry in the 24 hour bag? Also, how is the interior of this bag different?

myrddincox

Reaction score
Search youtube for a review of the 72 hour bag (by a guy named Chase Reves). It is a thorough (and entertaining!) review.

The interior has a padded computer pocket and two smaller interior pockets (where I usually put a computer charger/cable, and an iPad). Depending on the day, I carry a laptop, iPad, charger, several files, phone charger and headphones and various cables in a timbuk2 bag, a moleskin notebook, and various pens, highlighters, some protein bars, etc. I also keep my laptop (13 inch MacBook Pro) in a skinny sleeve for added protection. I just peeked in there an noticed a water bottle that I forgot about :) Still plenty of room for a couple of books or so.

In general, it can hold quite a bit!

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just went through the same decision making process - comparing the 256, 257, and the 24/72 hr bag (as I understand it, the 24 is just a new name for the exact same bag as the 72 hr.).  I ended up purchasing both the 256 and the 24 hr to make a final decision.  I would describe the 24 as being about the same size as the 256 with the addition of some very useful features.  Namely, two front zippered pouches, two front pockets behind the pouches (great for stashing things like a moleskin notebook quickly), and the addition of the trolley strap for stacking on a suitcase.  In addition, the interior is a bit different (and more useful in my opinion) on the 24.  Finally - the other main difference is in material (I went with the tin cloth - the 256 is heavier twill).  One other thing to keep in mind is that the 24 comes with a nylon shoulder strap, which I exchanged for the leather.

Overall - I find the 24 fits my needs extremely well, and I very much prefer it over the 256.  In fact, I will be selling the 256 (which I never used).  Color is a tough decision as well, and I don't think you can really go wrong. I went with tan, but really considered brown, olive, and navy.  The tan does transfer color from denim which may, or may not, be a good thing in your opinion.  
Thanks for the review. 24 hour seems more fitting for the bag if it is the same size as the 72. I can fit my daily work stuff in there, but it's really pushing if I needed to put another full outfit in there.

mingus2112

Reaction score

Ughhh... bought the tan 256 as my first piece of Filson but am wondering if I'm going to regret not getting the 257... might just have to end up picking up an olive 257 to complete the set.

Truthfully, though, I wouldn't fill up the 257 (i think).... i carry a 15" rMBP and maybe one book, some charging cords on my to-from work. If I bring a lunch I usually carry an extra bag for it....... Someone agree with me so I don't regret it. Still waiting for my 256 to arrive!

I bought the opposite (257) and carry the same load (MBP and maybe 1 book) and IMMEDIATELY exchanged it for the 256. 256 just seemed too big for my needs. Sometimes I wish I had the 257 --when I'm going on trips, but the 256 is perfect for every day. I've even fit 2 laptops with chargers AND a book in it.

-James

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also have the 24 hour bag. My second one as the zipper ripped on my first one and they just handed me a brand new bag right in the Detroit Filson store. (at the time it was the "72 hour bag" and trust me, it's the EXACT same thing - 24 and 72 hour bag).

I love it - and will probably keep it. There's only one way I would ever change out - and that is if they were to have the exact same bag with the heavier 22 oz twill. I just like that material more - although the bag is no doubt lighter.

I've had the Original briefcase (256, I think) and, while it's a phenomenal bag, I just thought it was a bit too small for me. Plus - the pockets on the 24 hour are awesome.

I've actually managed a one night overnight trip using the 24 hour bag - testing it's moniker, I guess. I carried my toiletry bag in one of the front pockets and a small Eagle Creek folder in the main compartment. It worked, although I wouldn't recommend it all the time unless you're doing a SUPER light-weight trip.

Finally - I did compare the size of the 24 hour bag to the original briefcase in the store. It appears that the dimensions are EXACTLY the same, except for the 2 pockets on front. The material is different, but it looks almost like the bolted on the 2 pockets to the front. I'm happy to provide any detailed pics if anyone is interested.

masayako

Reaction score

Last edited:

eggplantsplz

Reaction score
Finally picked up my first Filson piece, purchased it from eBay. Beyond thrilled with it. I knew this prior to buying, but there really isn't much padding for a 15" rMBP laptop in there... would others recommend getting a sleeve protector for the laptop? or have they gotten away with just putting their 15" in the main compartment?

Attached some pics... I know I'm probably being ridiculous but is there any chance the bag is not genuine? It is, as expected, a beautifully built bag.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads