• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eggplantsplz

Reaction score
Well, there have been complains that Filson has cheapen out with their newer releases on certain things like less robust leather and thinner internal dividers. I have no qualms about picking up the older bags used or NOS and rustic gear has been discussed on this thread before and they appeared to be genuine stockists.

Btw, would like to hear opinions if filson has changed their logo/labels again from the red outline "made by filson" tag.

I spotted these tags on filson bags recently displayed by my local resellers:

Thanks! Definitely eases my mind about purchasing from an online retailer.

WRT changing logo/labels: see Filson1897's reply on this reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/BuyItForLi...om_ebay_but_i/ckrcxaw?st=itx4wpnb&sh=f72ffa63

I think they do periodically update their logos!

bembel

Reaction score
Gosh.. been pondering over this Filson purchase for years now and I think I'm finally ready to pull the plug.

Been battling between getting the 256 or 257; but with the 257 discontinued and only available at secondary outlets I think I'm going to stick with the 256.. At 5'7" and 160lbs, I'm a bit shorter too so the marginally bigger 257 actually looks quite a bit (and maybe even too) big.

My only issue now is.... TAN or OLIVE GREEN??

So many visits into the store later and I still cannot decide..... pulled the plug and got a zippered Tote for the ladyfriend's birthday in Tan but I simply can't pick for myself.... How did others choose?!

I was in the same situation. I found the best solution for it: I bought the 256 in otter green, and shortly after the 257 in tan. :)

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
damn_hammer - the 24 hour bag in tan i my every day carry. Really love it.

The thinner tin cloth won't last as long as the 22oz cloth, but those pockets make it too damn convenient!

letsi

Reaction score

Thanks! Definitely eases my mind about purchasing from an online retailer.

WRT changing logo/labels: see Filson1897's reply on this reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/BuyItForLi...om_ebay_but_i/ckrcxaw?st=itx4wpnb&sh=f72ffa63

I think they do periodically update their logos!

Yeah, they did update to that "made at filson" logo like 1-2 years back but I'm surprised that they're changing logo/labels so soon. There was also this Italian filson label we talked about in the past but I don't think this is the logo for that particular distribution.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
For posterity's sake I'll throw in a point here... I think the tan is the classic color and actually looks the best, but I've realized that I'm a guy that likes my items shiny and new and found myself getting upset when the bag got dirty (or 'patina' as you guys like to say haaa). I also found that having that much weight on one shoulder and the bag swinging around was just too uncomfortable to enjoy the nice looking bag. I sold my 257 and instead went with a filson backpack and in navy and I'm much happier. I've gone from young professional finally able to afford nice things slash middle aged guy who's adventurous on the weekend and knew them before you were born... to sleek urban hipster. But I'm ok with that.

and also, a model that doesn't get talked about much either. I like the look of the rucksack but the buckles annoy me and I find it too busy. Went with this one instead because it is sleeker and has a computer sleeve which I need:

Oh and there's one last model which nobody talks about and that was a Vans x Filson collaboration from a few years back. It's like the rucksack but taller

Last edited:

speedy611

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi folks
I'm looking for a solution to short biz trips 2/3 days, where I can just take 1 bag for clothes plus laptop. I like the look of the 48 hr duffle but can't find many pics / reviews online. Anyone here got on and care to comment?
Any other options to look at? I'd have gone for a 266 sportsmans bag but no longer made. Zip tote gets good reviews but I fear might be too small and lacks external zip pockets. I already have 258 computer bag but it struggles beyond a simple overnight (mainly because can't accomodate additional shoes)
Thanks!

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speedy611, see my post above on related topic. If we're talking a 2-3 day business trip with dress shirts, dress pants, and a sport coat - I would go with a small Pullman as the clamshell footprint means your clothes are easier to keep organized and your clothes need to be less folded up.

I have the 266. It might suffice for 2-3 days if you're not transporting a pair of dress or running shoes. The problem I find for air travel is that when packed at capacity, it is a wide bodied bag that I don't enjoy carrying for any longer than a few minutes. The Pullman carries more like a briefcase i.e narrow and close to your center of gravity.

masayako

Reaction score
The reason Filson bags are so good is because of the warranty. If anything wrong, I know I can send it back and get it repaired or replaced. The company is gonna be here years after. I honestly can't say other similar company would still be around... love my 257 & can't imagine getting the 256 or 258 instead...

Can't wait to break it in more and build more characters with it. :)

Last edited:

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Agree about the ease of backpacks - ur rocking the filson backpack to work?

Work from home lol. I just use it for walking around town or daytrips here and there. In truth I love the idea of these things being built for life but often reach for other bags instead since my Filsons are just too damn heavy and aren't even that big. The dopp kitt? sold it. heavy, didn't hold much, and zippers kept cutting me. the 257? too big for my daily needs, kept flying around my hips, too heavy for one shoulder, etc. My backpack? not much capacity and weighs a ton even empty. I've tried to love Filson and sorry if I'm in the wrong place to complain but have just found they don't quite work for me practically speaking. Just leaving this here as a small bit of proof in case people feel like they have to love these.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Work from home lol. I just use it for walking around town or daytrips here and there. In truth I love the idea of these things being built for life but often reach for other bags instead since my Filsons are just too damn heavy and aren't even that big. The dopp kitt? sold it. heavy, didn't hold much, and zippers kept cutting me. the 257? too big for my daily needs, kept flying around my hips, too heavy for one shoulder, etc. My backpack? not much capacity and weighs a ton even empty. I've tried to love Filson and sorry if I'm in the wrong place to complain but have just found they don't quite work for me practically speaking. Just leaving this here as a small bit of proof in case people feel like they have to love these.

I would like to think that all genuine experiences are welcome. I turn to Filson mainly for carry-on bags. I find the 22 ounce twill provides structure, element protection and good looks with less expense, weight and maintenance than a quality leather bag. I prefer leather for a briefcase and nylon for a backpack.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm thinking that the thinner twill or waxed cotton versions might suit my needs better. Haven't quite given up hope yet haaa

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speedy - another one you might want to consider is the Meridian. I have it in tan - it's made of the lighter-weight waxed tin cloth - and, like the pullman, it also carries closer to your body.

They've discontinued it, only after a year or two on the market (not sure why), but I still find it to be a nice bag for me.

That said, I'm considering selling it because it matches too closely to my tan tin cloth 24 hour bag - (my daily carry bag). I don't like the look of having two bags exactly the same color. (This, of course, is entirely my own fault as I bought both bags that way.)

Any way, it's a nice alternative for you to think about and It carries very well through airports, etc.

Scott Ray

Reaction score
I use mine every week on everything from props, to RJs, to LearJets, etc. Fits everytime, unless you overpack it.

eggplantsplz

Reaction score
The reason Filson bags are so good is because of the warranty. If anything wrong, I know I can send it back and get it repaired or replaced. The company is gonna be here years after. I honestly can't say other similar company would still be around... love my 257 & can't imagine getting the 256 or 258 instead...

Can't wait to break it in more and build more characters with it.
smile.gif

Ughhh... bought the tan 256 as my first piece of Filson but am wondering if I'm going to regret not getting the 257... might just have to end up picking up an olive 257 to complete the set.

Truthfully, though, I wouldn't fill up the 257 (i think).... i carry a 15" rMBP and maybe one book, some charging cords on my to-from work. If I bring a lunch I usually carry an extra bag for it....... Someone agree with me so I don't regret it. Still waiting for my 256 to arrive!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member