• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trlhtn, that's interesting. I just checked the W&C home page and Filson is prominently featured!

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think there are still a few online retailers selling the 266 at or near MSRP of $325. But I have also seen more than a few for sale in past weeks on EBay. Definitely with the desirable discontinued models, over time, the supply of new bags runs dry fairly quickly. And the new bags that replace those models will have different designs and be priced higher. So paying full MSRP may not be the worst thing in the world.

For example, try finding a source for a new large travel bag or the compartment case these days!

trlhtn

Reaction score
Trlhtn, that's interesting. I just checked the W&C home page and Filson is prominently featured!
Filson was reluctant to tell me who their bridle leather supplier was when I first picked up my 70252. Ironically, like you said, it was boldly shown on W&C's website.

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait - you have FOUR 266's? I thought I had a Filson obsession!

I have the newer "Heritage Sportsman" - the 70073 and I love it.

cathpah

Reaction score

Wait - you have FOUR 266's?  I thought I had a Filson obsession!

I have the newer "Heritage Sportsman" - the 70073 and I love it.

Three of those I use for work (I'm a photographer), and the other is for travel.

My obsession is full-blown:
4 266s
1 small duffle
1 medium duffle
1 large duffle
1 medium travel bag
1 XL outfitter bag
2 non-zippered totes
1 zippered tote
1 tote w/ extra external pockets
2 log carriers
3 jackets
1 travel tray

...I'm sure I'm forgetting things

kbui

Reaction score
Geez. I'm a photographer and my back and shoulder hurt thinking about how much you are lugging around.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am only an amateur - maybe at 8 Filson pieces, but trying to narrow it down so that each piece is not duplicative of an existing piece in terms of purpose. Have been giving the culled ones to good friends.

Initially, it was easy to justify to myself as in: this will be my carry-on, this will be my gym bag, this will be my checked bag. But now the rationale is becoming unconvincingly specific like I need this bag X when I am traveling for just one night with no spare dress shoes and I need my carry-on to serve as a briefcase the next day (263 zippered tote). Or this one Y is for domestic weekend trips with my wife where she does NOT want me looking like I am going camping or on a safari.

Last edited:

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am only an amateur - maybe at 8 Filson pieces, but trying to narrow it down so that each piece is not duplicative of an existing piece in terms of purpose. Have been giving the culled ones to good friends.

Initially, it was easy to justify to myself as in: this will be my carry-on, this will be my gym bag, this will be my checked bag. But now the rationale is becoming unconvincingly specific like I need this bag X when I am traveling for just one night with no spare dress shoes and I need my carry-on to serve as a briefcase the next day (263 zippered tote). Or this one Y is for domestic weekend trips with my wife where she does NOT want me looking like I am going camping or on a safari.

:lol: This hits a little too close to home for me.... :embar:

cathpah

Reaction score

Geez.  I'm a photographer and my back and shoulder hurt thinking about how much you are lugging around.

...khoa? If so, we're facebook buds.

I'm mostly an architectural and food photographer nowadays, so mosy of the gear is brought into the job and sits off to side in a corner for most of tue day. One bag has three bodies with my three most common lenses, the other bag holds 13 hotshoe flashes, and the other bag holds my other lenses and other parts of my kit (triggers for larger flashes, etc). Clients often comment favorably about my Filson bags in a way that wouldn't happen with nerdy black nylon camera bags.

kbui

Reaction score
My name is Khue Bui.

Man, that is a lot of equipment. Even if I had an assistant, I would feel bad. What do you do when you fly with the 266s? I can't imagine they have enough padding for checked luggage?

I am too worn to carry around that much equipment. I use my Filson Small Field Bag to hold an additional lens, wallet, id, etc. I wander with the camera on my shoulder. I also use a zippered tote if I need a little more stuff and my laptop.

Cheers.

Schnurretiger

Reaction score
It's an old request, but I think so far noone replied to it: could someone snap a picture of the medium and small duffel with all the clothes you fit into it and a pic of the loaded bag, please?

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's an old request, but I think so far noone replied to it: could someone snap a picture of the medium and small duffel with all the clothes you fit into it and a pic of the loaded bag, please?

No longer have a small duffle. The Sportsman total volume is higher than the small duffle but is more compartmentalized so in practice, they are quite comparable...about enough capacity for about 5 days of summer travel with casual clothing with maybe one pair of light canvas shoes or sandals packed in my experience. It gets colder and you pack a wool sweater, long sleeve shirts, pants and leather lace-up shoes - and you might get a couple of days out of it.

Here it is 85% full:

Last edited:

cathpah

Reaction score
My name is Khue Bui.

Man, that is a lot of equipment. Even if I had an assistant, I would feel bad. What do you do when you fly with the 266s? I can't imagine they have enough padding for checked luggage?

I am too worn to carry around that much equipment. I use my Filson Small Field Bag to hold an additional lens, wallet, id, etc. I wander with the camera on my shoulder. I also use a zippered tote if I need a little more stuff and my laptop.

Cheers.
Architectural photography really necessitates a lot of gear and lights (the speedlight setup is *significantly* more portable than when I'm lugging larger lights), so there's no way around it. When I fly, I carry on my cameras/lenses and check flashes and grip gear in pelican cases. I rent stands at my destination.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, regarding leather source - Filson sent a marketing email this morning that indicates "We source our Bridle Leather from Wickett and Craig of America, who have been producing hand-tanned leather since 1867."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads