• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mgrennier, exactly. The Ernest Alexander is heading into the "more urbane" end of the spectrum and the Frost River heading into the "more rustic".

My Frost River simple brief went up nearly 50% in price in a year! A pretty incredible increase which cannot be attributed to foreign currency fluctuations.

The Ernest Alexander weekender however is optimized for carrying clothes rather than gear. And clothes tend to be more voluminous and less heavy than gear. Consequently, the bag is lighter and less boxy than Filson equivalents. And the capacity is high for its relatively small footprint. So I may give it a whirl. It does not have that "throw it in the back of pickup during a hailstorm" appeal of Filson but on the other hand l, it may look far better with your sport coat when you walk into the business class lounge.

Schnurretiger

Reaction score
Considering what I've read here about the Filson quality being on the demise, I wondered if I don't want my future bag (= duffel bag) to have some metal studs on the bottom. I don't think it's a good idea to put the duffel down on wet surfaces, or am I wrong here?

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Duffel doesn't have any structure so while presumably 4 studs will keep those points off the ground, the rest will simply sag and touch the ground

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Filson has for more and more turned into a "lifestyle" brand and the price will only continue to increase as the gap between Filson and other "lifestyle" brands makes Filson a relatively good value. Good example of this happening in the past is the new balance 990 running shoes which now sells for $200 +. while the design hasn't changed the shoe has become increasingly popular as a casual sneaker and those shoes sell for more than typical running shoes

Filson is more and more offering to their lifestyle customers than it is to their traditional hunting and outdoor clients but they all are going to see a bump in price

Last edited:

Daryll

Reaction score
Below is a link to an album I’ve created to illustrate what happens when you wash a Filson bag (Tan 257). I normally wouldn’t wash a Filson bag, but this was my school bag that sat on the floor of a low level biohazard lab every day. In addition to any microscopic organisms that may be stuck to the bottom of my bag, there was also indigo stains on the back pockets, oil stains on the corners of the bag, and various areas where the bag rubbed up against bleach disinfectant. I now use the 257 as a beach bag.

Washed the bag in a front loading washing machine, no spin cycle, cold water, and normal detergent. Dried the bag upside down in the laundry room and then left it outside for an afternoon to fully dry. Yes, the indigo stains washed off, so did all the dirt.

Result? Washing the canvas will definitely clean the bag itself, but even on the gentlest cycle, the bridle leather gets damaged. After washing, the leather was dehydrated/felt crunchy and areas that were most worn lost some of the dark brown color. The leather also became wrinkly on the surface. The zipper became wavy but also became less sharp and zipped much more quickly and smoothly.

To restore the leather, I used a heat gun and Red Wing Leather Conditioner. Melted the leather conditioner into the leather. I did this process repeatedly until the leather was soft and pliable again. Color of the leather was also restored.

Verdict: I do not recommend washing a Filson bag unless you absolutely have to. It just doesn't look the same after. I also own a navy 258, which is my workhorse bag, so I had the opportunity to compare new v. washed Filson bags.

Link to Album: http://imgur.com/a/3VqOt?gallery

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the relatively high cost of skilled American labor and an increasingly affluent customer base, brands like Filson (now often part of larger conglomerates focused on annual growth and increased profit) will of course look to where they can cut cost and where they can raise prices. It is a risky enterprise as you risk alienating your loyal outdoor enthusiast customer base when you cater to a more fickle fashion conscious one. And American heritage brands have been clearly in - influenced by the hipster love of many traditionally American working class brands of a certain pedigree or tradition. No surprise the same company owns Shinola and Filson. If Filson didn't already exist, someone would have had to invent it by now - like they did with the Detroit watch brand glomming on our cultural nostalgia for mid century American manufacturing might.

More specifically, I have old (Talon zipper) and new Filson pieces and I don't frankly see this drastic change in quality that others perceive, but I readily admit this may be that I am not as discerning. But I do readily see steady price increases (way above rate if inflation) and new models which use less leather and simpler construction. And catalogues that are clearly more lifestyle oriented.

On the other hand, in all fairness, the other brands offering similar construction and materials are often NOT notably cheaper than Filson even when made in Asia. Will Leather Goods and RL come to mind here. So it seems it is still a case of Filson raising the price to what the current market will bear.

Last edited:

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Considering what I've read here about the Filson quality being on the demise, I wondered if I don't want my future bag (= duffel bag) to have some metal studs on the bottom. I don't think it's a good idea to put the duffel down on wet surfaces, or am I wrong here?

i think unless you place your Filson in a puddle, it shouldn't be an issue. Most of the complaints have been about the perceived decline in quality of the leather rather than declining quality in the twill.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody have a 266 Sportsman they are willing to sell? I think the 266 Sportsman is just about perfect in terms of shape, organization & size. When I went to buy it, I tried packing it with my stuff for a standard 2 night trip. It almost worked but didn't fit my eagle creek folder I use for dress shirts, SC, etc. I opted for the Med Travel instead which is only an inch larger in each dimension, but increases the volume signifcantly. I've used the medium travel for 3-4 yrs when I'm not flying, maybe once a month for my standard 2 night trips. My only gripe is that it flips over when packed full and carried on the shoulder. I plan to drop down to the smaller eagle,creek folder and give the 266 a shot if I can find one. If it works, I'll sell the med travel.

I've also used a tan 256 daily since 2007. It has the old, non padded shoulder strap which I much prefer. I picked up a very old 257 via eBay a few yrs ago but never use it. I just don't need the extra space. I was sad to learn that the 266 is discontinued. I'm browsing eBay now for one, but if anybody has one, let me know.

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anybody have a 266 Sportsman they are willing to sell? I think the 266 Sportsman is just about perfect in terms of shape, organization & size. When I went to buy it, I tried packing it with my stuff for a standard 2 night trip. It almost worked but didn't fit my eagle creek folder I use for dress shirts, SC, etc. I opted for the Med Travel instead which is only an inch larger in each dimension, but increases the volume signifcantly. I've used the medium travel for 3-4 yrs when I'm not flying, maybe once a month for my standard 2 night trips. My only gripe is that it flips over when packed full and carried on the shoulder. I plan to drop down to the smaller eagle,creek folder and give the 266 a shot if I can find one. If it works, I'll sell the med travel.

I've also used a tan 256 daily since 2007. It has the old, non padded shoulder strap which I much prefer. I picked up a very old 257 via eBay a few yrs ago but never use it. I just don't need the extra space. I was sad to learn that the 266 is discontinued. I'm browsing eBay now for one, but if anybody has one, let me know.

I have the smallest Eagle folder and I think it just fits in my 266. I normally also use the packing cubes, but recently I just put one divider to make two sections to divide the clothes into undergarments/socks and pants/shirts so stopped using the cubes as I seem to be able to pack more in this way. The 266 can carry a surprising amount as long as you don't have to carry leather dress shoes.

Is the 266 a replacement for the medium travel or just an additional smaller bag for shorter trips?

nevadabob

Reaction score
Filson used to call its bridle leather "vegetable tanned" and now it is called "saddle grade" in Filson's marketing material. Subtle? Yes. Significant? I believe so.

trlhtn

Reaction score
Filson used to call its bridle leather "vegetable tanned" and now it is called "saddle grade" in Filson's marketing material. Subtle? Yes. Significant? I believe so.
I was noticing this change to, but I think it may just be an incorrect description as some of their other bridle leather items still have vegetable tanned mentioned. Either Filson has changed suppliers or Wickett and Craig has changed their formula for bridle leather.

http://www.filson.com/products/leather-outfitter-wallet.65200.html

Soletrane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Changing the supplier seems plausible. Wickett & Craig must have seen an upswing in business with all the new American brands in the last 5-10 years using and advertising their product in their luggage and leather goods. Same thing with Horween. Again, all part of the renewed interest in American sourced materials. So could see how the new owners of Filson might go elsewhere for a cheaper supplier. Seems like something that could be verified by emailing Filson.

Last edited:

trlhtn

Reaction score
Changing the supplier seems plausible. Wickett & Craig must have seen an upswing in business with all the new American brands in the last 5-10 years using and advertising their product in their luggage and leather goods. Same thing with Horween. Again, all part of the renewed interest in American sourced materials. So could see how the new owners of Filson might go elsewhere for a cheaper supplier. Seems like something that could be verified by emailing Filson.
I remember watching a cool hunting video with the "new" owner of Filson where he mentions that Filson has been with the same leather company for the past 20 years. So either the change has been recent or maybe Filson has been purchasing a different type of leather. You would think that the formula for creating bridle leather wouldn't change so often....

http://www.filson.com/filson-life/2013/06/made-in-seattle-cool-hunting-tours-our-new-factory/

cathpah

Reaction score

I'd recommend a saved search on Ebay. I actually own four 266s (I use 3 of them for work and one as actual luggage), and I've gotten them at reasonable prices each time.

letsi

Reaction score

I'd recommend a saved search on Ebay.  I actually own four 266s (I use 3 of them for work and one as actual luggage), and I've gotten them at reasonable prices each time.

Yup, I saw 3 listings for the old 266 on ebay just earlier, all of them TAN color iirc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads