• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dukerules

Reaction score
Lexol removed a ton of color from my field satchel, I'd use something less abrasive.

PS you're the second DWC guy I've seen on here...
Hi, Joe! Not sure who you are on DWC, but I'm sure I know you
satisfied.gif

And Lexol really removed color from your Filson leather? That's crazy, as I consider that stuff to be quite mild, and would think it's an issue with the leather more than the Lexol.

tomatic

Reaction score
This is my Medium Travel Bag after ten trips. The shoulder strap attachment always seemed under-engineered but that's quite disappointing. Not sure if I'll put my yet unused Medium Duffle in operation after this. Almost the same with the 258.

letsi

Reaction score

This is my Medium Travel Bag after ten trips. The shoulder strap attachment always seemed under-engineered but that's quite disappointing. Not sure if I'll put my yet unused Medium Duffle in operation after this. Almost the same with the 258.
This problem seems to plague most of the other filson range with shoulder attachments as well. My 256s and 257s had this problem as well. Unfortunately, as these are machine stitched once the thread unravels, there's pretty much no way to prevent it from getting worse...

Last edited:

letsi

Reaction score

How did you get it fixed? I'm in europe so I'll have to stop by at a saddler.

Luckily for me, the problem happened within warranty period with my retailer. I sent mine back to revolveclothing and they were nice enough to warrant the exchanges.

nevadabob

Reaction score
This problem seems to plague most of the other filson range with shoulder attachments as well. My 256s and 257s had this problem as well.
Unfortunately, as these are machine stitched once the thread unravels, there's pretty much no way to prevent it from getting worse...

I agree this is an issue with "New Filson" bags. I never heard of issues with "Old Filson" bags. The easiest way to tell is to look at the style number: 257 = Old Filson. 70257 = New Filson. The switch was made in 2012 when Bedrock bought Filson.

milw50717

Reaction score

I think the 256 is more suitable for my daily needs. Does filson warranty new bags purchased on eBay? I can pretty much get the same deal on eBay from the current brooks brothers sale, but I'd have to purchase additional items to bring the total up to $300 to get the discount. If filson warrants eBay purchases, I'm just going to get it on eBay.

I'm pretty sure that if the bag is new and is not a second then it will be covered. Years ago, I bought an all seasons raincoat from an ebay seller that sometime later developed a problem with some stitching coming loose around one of the pocket studs. Filson repaired it at no cost, with no questions asked about where it was purchased.

ASpec818

Reaction score
I went with the 256 through BB. Can't wait to receive it.

Anyone have experience with the Filson Dopp kit? It looks very nice but I'm thinking a nylon interior would be more suitable for Dopp kits. A lot of times, liquid leaks and spills occur inside, and I'd think the waxed cotton interior would be a little more difficult to clean.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I owned the Dopp kit and only used it 2-3 times before selling it. While it looks nice, and I love the idea, personally speaking I found it just way to over-engineered. I know that sort of Filson blasphemy but I found it large and heavy and totally impractical. On a small carryon it too up like 1/5 of my bag or something. I literally started leaving it at home and using a medium ziplock instead and was way happier ha.

ASpec818

Reaction score

I owned the Dopp kit and only used it 2-3 times before selling it. While it looks nice, and I love the idea, personally speaking I found it just way to over-engineered. I know that sort of Filson blasphemy but I found it large and heavy and totally impractical. On a small carryon it too up like 1/5 of my bag or something. I literally started leaving it at home and using a medium ziplock instead and was way happier ha.
Just as I imagined of the filson. What did you end up replacing it with?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
so far nothing, just sold it a week or two ago. I'm going to look around for something that makes up for all the Filson problems. IE lightweight, thing, minimal hardware, and folds up small/flat. Probably something nylon at a guess.

PS, I'm selling my mint condition green tote (not zippered, used 4-5 times max))... $99 shipped to North America. PM if interested!

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a chance to compare my new Filson purchases with some of my old (pre-buyout) bags. Sadly, the difference is obvious. Every piece of leather on the new 256 and medium travel bag is noticeably thinner than the like piece on my 257. The leather on the travel bag is about 10% thinner, while 256 is easily 25% thinner. The cloth material is also much less thick and stiff. My 257 is stiffer after 3 years of use daily use (rain, shine, snow) than the new out of the box bags. The weave of the material is also different (not better or worse). The "tan" color is markedly different as well, but here the new stuff wins out - it's a nicer shade. The stitching on the new stuff is much more course as well (less stitches per inch by about 30%). Some stuff hasn't changed like the zippers and other metal pieces.

All in all, it's obvious that "new Filson" is less durable than the original. Does it matter to me? Sure, because de-contenting sucks and it's ****** to see Filson doing it. However, given that I got these bags at 40% off, I'm not going to return them and hunt down the better originals. With that said, and if anyone from Filson monitors this thread please report this to your holding company, after thousands of dollars of Filson purchases these will probably be my last - "You might as well have the best... so long as you have a super short memory".

bye4now122

Reaction score

I'm deciding between the filson medium travel bag and medium duffel. I'm leaning towards the medium travel bag because the medium duffel seems too big, especially since I'm only 5'4. The medium travel bag seems like it will carry sufficient items on a trip.

You're talking about the old travel bag that Filson no longer produces, this one http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Filso...l?dwvar_UL00063_Color=DKGR&contentpos=6&cgid= ?

What kind of travel will you be doing? I have the medium travel bag and have used it for flights and road trips alike. I found it is kind of an odd shape and a bit too wide. Once filled its shape is a bit more squarish than I'd like, resulting in it kind of "sticking out" from your hip when wearing over the shoulder. It works for road trips since you're typically just carrying it from bedroom to car, but I found myself constantly bumping in to people with it when I've used it in airports.

In terms of size, I've been able to fit 6 days worth of casual clothes in the medium travel bag or 4 days worth of business clothes + workout clothes.

To be honest I've been considering looking to sell or trade mine for a duffel because my typical use case is flying with it. PM me if you might be interested and I can send some pics tomorrow night.

rswanson

Reaction score
I’m in the market for a new bag and I’ve wanted a Filson for a while. I’ll be using the bag primarily as a daily carry-all to and from work. Contents will be items like gym clothes/shoes, rain gear, lunch containers, and other miscellaneous small items. Much more infrequently I’ll carry a laptop and/or files/folders/books. In the winter, a few more clothing items perhaps.

I like the 232 field bag but not a huge fan of the oval-shaped entry and lack of zip. I’m leaning towards the 240 small carry-on but I have a major concern and that’s how the bag hangs/carries. I read the comparison of the two on the filsonfan website and the blog owner states that the 240 carries awkwardly and tends to pull away from the body when slung. That seems like an annoyance I don’t want to deal with. Can anyone who owns the 240 speak more to this?

Also, any other suggestions on a bag I should consider- maybe the 257? Bags from other brands? The two bags listed above seem to be a good compromise between carrying daily assorted items and occasional office use but perhaps I’m mistaken.

Thanks in advance!

177itch

Reaction score
I've bee eyeing the Frost River and Duluth briefcases. They seem to be worthy Filson replacements.

so far nothing, just sold it a week or two ago. I'm going to look around for something that makes up for all the Filson problems. IE lightweight, thing, minimal hardware, and folds up small/flat. Probably something nylon at a guess.

PS, I'm selling my mint condition green tote (not zippered, used 4-5 times max))... $99 shipped to North America. PM if interested!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 45 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads