• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FENWAY

Reaction score
Wish list...:nodding:

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone got opinions on the rolling carry on? I wonder if it's maybe a bad idea to get it since you want something practical and light and while filson stuff is rugged you might not need that for airline travelling exactly, and it could be less expandable and heavier.

harlock

Reaction score
Hello, saw this forum some time back after I got my Filson Sportsmans Bag, purchased in Tokyo when I needed a bag that was very versatile since I gotta carry multiple laptops (even a 17'' Macbook Pro with case), photo gear, food, clothing and unexpected items. I am incredibly satisfied with the bag, heavy duty, very reliable, there are marks and leather is scruffed or damaged but it never really stands out but brings more charm to it I guess.

Use it as a carry on as well, got away with two carry ons since the Filson bag is a bit misleading when it comes to estimate the weight inside. The most I have packed has been 18 kg (which was more than the carry-on with wheels)

Posted some photos with it packed as much as I could, it fit 22 kg but there is still some nooks and crannies that could take up some more weight. I've carried 18 kg no problem from Tokyo to Stockholm but unsure how much the structure will hold after 18 kg.

All in all, its a pretty nice bag for carrying equipment in most fields, all tough the bag itself is bit heavy, it is still sturdy and reliable. I plan on buying the 256 because of its smaller frame to fit the bare essentials and keep this one as the "heavy". One more thing, I usually do not pack the pocket on the side which is to my back and it basically "folds" a bit and makes it look less boxy so it looks more like the 258.

If anyone wants some better photos let me know.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone got opinions on the rolling carry on? I wonder if it's maybe a bad idea to get it since you want something practical and light and while filson stuff is rugged you might not need that for airline travelling exactly, and it could be less expandable and heavier.

I think it would be just fine, but I tend to prefer backpacks or messenger bags for my carry-on gear. The reason behind this has been that I tend to use an XL North Face Duffel for traveling, and it's hard enough to carry through airports without dealing with a rolling bag as well (the TNF duffel has backpack-style shoulder straps, and I carry my second bag on the front when needed.

That being said, I just acquired an Eagle Creek rolling "suitcase" for a really good price. I'll be trying that out on my next trip in a couple of weeks, and it will also be my first time using my Filson original briefcase for travel.

Syd Yap

Reaction score
Hi, there

Hello from Bangkok. I just got this one. I can't find any detail about this bag colour detail. All i know about this bag is the, small bag in Tin cloth , hardwood camo. Any idea?

Thank you so much!

Hi can i know where you get this bag?I would like to buy 1.

agalardi

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've got a tan 257 in very good condition and would like to trade with someone who has an otter green.

Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It took a while but my tan F+M Field Camera Bag came in. Been messing with the dividers and different configurations. More on that later but for now here's a pic of it.

Auxillaryman

Reaction score

It took a while but my tan F+M Field Camera Bag came in. Been messing with the dividers and different configurations. More on that later but for now here's a pic of it.

Great looking bag. I bought the smaller one for my wife. She already has a large camera bag. This one is just right for when she wants to travel light

f4d7e0b8c12c9ae872baf8ab8c57bf34.jpg

Sent from my iPhone in the middle of somewhere I shouldn't be!

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great looking bag. I bought the smaller one for my wife. She already has a large camera bag. This one is just right for when she wants to travel light

f4d7e0b8c12c9ae872baf8ab8c57bf34.jpg

Sent from my iPhone in the middle of somewhere I shouldn't be!

How does the wife like that Harvey messenger? I needed just a bit more room. I tend to go out with a film and digital camera with lenses attached. I also wanted an interior that could be changed around as well. One day it's two cameras with short telephoto lenses and the next I might have one camera with a 70-210 hanging off it.

boned

Reaction score
What's the best duffel for carry on flights? I've read the medium might be too large, but the small looks too small
musicboohoo[1].gif

nevadabob

Reaction score
The beauty of the medium duffle bag is that it's only as large as you pack it. However, if full, it won't fit in a carry on compartment. The small duffle holds quite a bit of clothing but I find that my boots are difficult to cram in when near capacity. If choosing between duffles, I'd go with the medium. My flight bag of choice is the pullman and I recently picked up a duffle backpack I was going to use as a bug out bag and leave in the car, but it might end up on a flight or two before that.

boned

Reaction score
The beauty of the medium duffle bag is that it's only as large as you pack it. However, if full, it won't fit in a carry on compartment. The small duffle holds quite a bit of clothing but I find that my boots are difficult to cram in when near capacity. If choosing between duffles, I'd go with the medium. My flight bag of choice is the pullman and I recently picked up a duffle backpack I was going to use as a bug out bag and leave in the car, but it might end up on a flight or two before that.

Cool, I think the medium duffel would definitely be the most versatile, and I don't believe the small would be big enough for any trip longer than a weekend. The medium's dimensions are 25" which exceed carry on requirements of max 22". I guess I'll just make sure to not stuff it to the brim.

That said, if anyone has a used medium duffel they want to get rid of PM me!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads