• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've read from a couple of people that the new Navy 256 is thinner than the other ones (i.e. https://twitter.com/dieworkwear/status/334088002945044480)

Does anyone have any input? I'm debating between the tan or the navy blue...

You'd need to confirm with them that they are talking the Navy twill 256 rather than a Red Label Navy canvas. They say its canvas, which would be the red label, but perhaps they just don't know the difference, and can't identify one or the other.

milw50717

Reaction score

Will either Lexol or Obenouf's darken the leather on the Red Label bags? I'm looking to hasten the patina to them.

Yes, they will darken the leather. Never used them on really light leathers, so can't comment as to how much they will darken though.

laundry day

Reaction score
Does anybody know of it is possible to buy a hand grip....just the hand grip? If so, from where? I emailed Filson and Cranes...awaiting replies, but thought I would ask here to see if anyone has any insights.

Crane's sells them separately. I asked them to send me one with my 256 if they couldn't get the 256 pre-installed with the handle from Filson. I don't remember the exact cost, but of the top of my head, it was $10-12.

Santi Se

Reaction score
Received my #240 Small Carry-On Bag few days ago, and has been carrying it since and really happy with it.

Btw, I also have the Medium Field Bag

Dimensional wise, the #240 Small Carry-On Bag is just a bit bigger.

And with the same loads; with 240, it feels a lot less lighter than when carrying with Medium Field.
Plus I can now add a 13" laptop and A4-sized binder. And a camera . . .

(Pics from the Net)

Last edited:

RecoveringChef

Reaction score
Does anyone have any pictures of how the tan or any other color looks after several layers of LP or Barbour's wax? I want to see what kind of color I can add to a new tan or brown bag

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone have any pictures of how the tan or any other color looks after several layers of LP or Barbour's wax? I want to see what kind of color I can add to a new tan or brown bag

I'm not sure how many people put wax on their canvas/rugged twill bags.

Last edited:

milw50717

Reaction score

Some people have done it with varying results. The last post I could find on this was from last month - http://www.styleforum.net/t/133759/filson-bag-thread-with-pictures/2595#post_6464485

Personally, I'd not do it, preferring to use scotchguard to add water repellency as I prefer a dry finish that will not seep into clothes. Filson, according to their web site do not offer rewaxing of their bags, but this may change now that they offer oil finish bags.

From http://www.filson.com/filson/customer-care/special-services/

What we can't do: Footwear, Twill and Tin cloth Luggage, Shooting Shirts, Sweaters, Brush pants, Hats, Leather accessories, and briar / burr chaps.

Perhaps you should have bought an oil finish bag ?

Last edited:

RecoveringChef

Reaction score

Some people have done it with varying results. The last post I could find on this was from last month - http://www.styleforum.net/t/133759/filson-bag-thread-with-pictures/2595#post_6464485

Personally, I'd not do it, preferring to use scotchguard to add water repellency as I prefer a dry finish that will not seep into clothes. Filson, according to their web site do not offer rewaxing of their bags, but this may change now that they offer oil finish bags.

From http://www.filson.com/filson/customer-care/special-services/
Perhaps you should have bought an oil finish bag ?

Thanks for the info. I haven't bought one yet. I'm trying to decide on which size/model/color combination I want to get, and to get an idea of how to maintain and care for it.

eca462

Reaction score
Where's the best prices for EU customers? I' thinking about picking up a 70257 for school, haven't fonud any good deals though

wunnaz

Reaction score
OOTD
Filson 256

pasy2aqe.jpg
ubededa8.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads