• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

poena

Reaction score
Thanks! It's been very lightly used. only twice to be honest. From what I'm seeing with prices out there. I'm thinking $250 + shipping. If you guys are interested feel free to shoot me a DM.

Rudy83

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm still loving my small field bag. It has lightened nicely. I am however finding myself wanting to haul more stuff than it'll take.

So my natural option is the medium field bag.

I'm looking into one, but for the sake of leather patina and such would like one from before the bedrock era. I'm guessing before 2012?

My budget is around 300 euro or 330 USD. Is this realistic? I can get hold of a used field bag here for 275, but it is a 2017 manufacture.

If anyone knows or has a tan medium field bag they would be willing to sell, let me know!

Edit: also, what era would a 'might as well have the best' label be?

Thanks

Last edited:

BLNDRWMN

Reaction score
So bummed they don’t make this one anymore. Would love it in Navy. View attachment 1220235

Necroing this post to share that there's a navy Tablet Briefcase on eBay right now! There's also a black one, which is why I was recently going through this thread to check out photos and comments on the bag and how I came to see and remember this post despite it long predating my own membership. ?

So, @DFWWingnut, if you're still around then click here! (At least, I'm pretty sure that is what it is. No strap, but you've probably already got one on another bag you could use.)

FilsonDude

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm still loving my small field bag. It has lightened nicely. I am however finding myself wanting to haul more stuff than it'll take.

I'm looking into one, but for the sake of leather patina and such would like one from before the bedrock era. I'm guessing before 2012?

My budget is around 300 euro or 330 USD. Is this realistic? I can get hold of a used field bag here for 275, but it is a 2017 manufacture.

If anyone knows or has a tan medium field bag they would be willing to sell, let me know!

Thanks
Might be able to help you out. You set on tan?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Around here we refer to that as the "Motto Tag" for short. If you are searching for one of those bags make sure it's a 2013 example at the latest. January 2014 was when the beginnings of the shift commenced. Honestly it's amazing Bedrock Manufacturing kept it around for as long as they did after the buyout (roughly 2 years).

Another violator of rule number one when listing a Filson

Two Rules.PNG

Although he's no match for this violator. I don't think images of your feet exudes buyer excitement...could just be me though.

Goruck Feet.PNG

Rudy83

Reaction score
Around here we refer to that as the "Motto Tag" for short. If you are searching for one of those bags make sure it's a 2013 example at the latest. January 2014 was when the beginnings of the shift commenced. Honestly it's amazing Bedrock Manufacturing kept it around for as long as they did after the buyout (roughly 2 years).

Another violator of rule number one when listing a Filson

View attachment 1713435

Although he's no match for this violator. I don't think images of your feet exudes buyer excitement...could just be me though.

View attachment 1713436
Great info, thanks. So a 2010 bag would be one of the good ones, where the leather is not so plastic-feeling?

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks
I have a medium field bag from 2008 that is in nearly new condition. I barely ever use it. It's tan. Send IM if interested

Rudy83

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks

Thanks for the help. I ended up getting a 2011 medium. Now to round it off I'm looking for an older tan small field bag so they match. It never ends, does it?;)

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great info, thanks. So a 2010 bag would be one of the good ones, where the leather is not so plastic-feeling?

Any of the bridle leather that is not from 2017-2018 is flawless IMO. Not trying to say all of the bags were affected, but there were an alarming amount of cases to make me not turn a blind eye to it. I had a 1010 (October 2010) No.266 that had perfect (for its era) dense bridal leather. But if you had to pull and pry what I think is even more superior to that...look no further then early to mid Talon Era. The early YKK Era comes 2nd, with its underside pilling to perfection

Rudy83

Reaction score
Any of the bridle leather that is not from 2017-2018 is flawless IMO. Not trying to say all of the bags were affected, but there were an alarming amount of cases to make me not turn a blind eye to it. I had a 1010 (October 2010) No.266 that had perfect (for its era) dense bridal leather. But if you had to pull and pry what I think is even more superior to that...look no further then early to mid Talon Era. The early YKK Era comes 2nd, with its underside pilling to perfection
Thanks! So the talon era is the golden age of Filson. I bought my current OG small field bag without research and was a bit disappointed with the leather. It's a 07-2017 bag. I love the bags where the leather changed to a honey color.

Now to find a tan small field bag from the good years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads