• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fighting while wearing Nice Clothes

Casual

Reaction score
Kicking someone while wearing desert boots hurts
teacha.gif

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vaclava krishna
Why so much, hostility but not so much, hospitality ?

Claiming for my new sig. Unelss, you object, vaclava.

K

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Casual
Kicking someone while wearing desert boots hurts
teacha.gif

The irony eh?

K

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
A very traditional weapon among American blacks in the old days, and I think down to the World War II era. My mother used to tell the story of a black woman employed by the family in the 1930s who discovered her man cheatin' on her. As she put it, "Ah whupped out mah razuh and cut a brand-new suit of clothes right off that n***a!" Since the razor was not a stabbing weapon, it could be carried legally, and many blacks became highly proficient in their use, even using them to good effect in the trench fighting against the Germans during World War I.
I'm pretty sure straight razors were popular among the poor, not just blacks. As you mentioned they were not illegal because they weren't stabbing weapons. According to my uncle, every greaser in the 50's carried one in his motorcycle boot.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
even using them to good effect in the trench fighting against the Germans during World War I.

Do you have any sources on this or is just what you have heard? When all is said and done the straight razor really makes a poor choice for a weapon. The edge doesn't hold up well, it doesn't stab, it doesn't lock, and you would need excellent precision to kill someone with it. If I had my choice of edged weapons in a trench fighting situation straightrazor would be pretty low on the list (with the bayonet being the most likely choice).

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
Do you have any sources on this or is just what you have heard? When all is said and done the straight razor really makes a poor choice for a weapon. The edge doesn't hold up well, it doesn't stab, it doesn't lock, and you would need excellent precision to kill someone with it. If I had my choice of edged weapons in a trench fighting situation straightrazor would be pretty low on the list (with the bayonet being the most likely choice).

+1

add to that soldiers where a lot of thick clothes, and often lots of metal accessories - it isn't even that easy to stab a soldier with a bayonet, let alone slsh him.

pgoat

Reaction score
There's a great fight scene in The Manchurian Candidate, following which you see Frank Sinatra's suit looks like it was attacked by a pack of hungry wolves....

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
warlok1965;1243595 said:
Yes well she was a short, plain, middle aged asian lady. QUOTE]

haha. After having read the first few posts of this thread, I knew that the woman who was "invading" the guy's space was Asian. Not meaning to offend anyone, but many Asians (referring to most of the immigrant variety) really don't have a sense of personal space. Never fails that my girlfriend and I are complaining that some Asian person attempted to cut us off in line (actually, they'd cut the gf off, I wouldn't let it happen and would be very vocal about it). Probably also what makes Asian women bad drivers. These are not stereotypes either. This is all through personal experience.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
teddieriley;1278350 said:
Originally Posted by warlok1965
Yes well she was a short, plain, middle aged asian lady. QUOTE]

haha. After having read the first few posts of this thread, I knew that the woman who was "invading" the guy's space was Asian. Not meaning to offend anyone, but many Asians (referring to most of the immigrant variety) really don't have a sense of personal space. Never fails that my girlfriend and I are complaining that some Asian person attempted to cut us off in line (actually, they'd cut the gf off, I wouldn't let it happen and would be very vocal about it). Probably also what makes Asian women bad drivers. These are not stereotypes either. This is all through personal experience.

So...through your personal experience you have interacted with all of the 3 odd billion Asians on the planet? Wow, you get around. Anything else that all Asians do that we should watch out for? I hear they are sneaky, take our rickshaw jobs and sell opium to unsuspecting school kids.

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
Claiming for my new sig. Unelss, you object, vaclava.

K

I am very, agreeable .

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
This is how you do it:

whawhatpk6.jpg

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

You are the man!

Now show us how to sink a ship while wearing nice clothes!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads