• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favourite 80's Music?

word

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
S&M rocks. Have you listened to it?
Once. If I liked their 90s radio rock sound more I would have liked S&M more. It isn't bad, just a totally different band.

jaychiz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a taste for the borderline cheesy yet culturally significant (one way or another) electro synth

Living on Video

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Time (Clock of the Heart)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Don't You Want Me

Situation

guster

Reaction score
New Order : Original Ceremony -(their version after Joy Division end), Age of Consent

REM: So many to choose....Murmer & Reconing both great....here are some.......Radio Free, HarborCoat, Pretty Persuasion, These Days, It's the end of the world

U2: Pride,

John Mellancamp: Small Town

Tom petty: The Waiting, You got Lucky, Change of Heart, Don't come around here

Tears for Fears: The Hurting, Change

Smiths: Something off Louder than Bombs

Cure: In between days, Boys don't cry

Clash: Lost in the Supermarket..............Housemartins: Happy Hour........
Replacements: Can't Hardly Wait........Church: Under the Milky Way................
Billy Bragg: You Woke up my neighborhood, Accident Waiting to happen.........
Icicle Works: Whisper to a Scream........John Mellancamp: Small Town....INXS Don't Change....
The The: This is the Day.......Railway Children: Every Beat, Gentle Sound

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lords of the New Church - Russian Roulette Check out the live vid - Stiv Bators attempt at introducing the song is awkward yet archetypal punk.

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. The Replacements were the best 80s rock group. This clip features 14 year old Tommy Stinson on Bass

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. The first two Pretenders albums are magnificent. After the guitarist and bassist died, it was all downhill from there. Great live version of "The Adultress"

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. The Verlaines - Death and the Maiden

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Popol Vuh
Gonna pretend this post isn't to help me be able to PM someone: Couldn't find the studio version so have a live one instead:

I saw Dean Wareham doing a Galaxie 500 set in London last night, one of the best shows I've been to. Also I can't be bothered linking Phil Collins, but a SF thread on 80s music shouldn't be without Patrick Bateman's favourites:

guster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nancyfitzpat
My favorite 80's Music are Call Me - Blondie,Another Brick In The Wall - Pink Floyd, Magic - Olivia Newton-John,Rock With You - Michael Jackson,Do That To Me One More Time - Captain & Tennille and Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen.

I think you are dipping into the 70's for some of those songs. Going back to the 70's gets you into some really great rock music

tone76

Reaction score
Trying to narrow down just a handful of favourite 80s songs is nigh on impossible. Thankfully, many of the songs I like have already been mentioned in the first 7 pages of this threak. That makes my job slightly easier, I guess. I can see myself returning to this thread again and again ... and again ... and again ...

You know a song is good when Peter Gabriel offers to sing backing vocals!

Speaking of Peter Gabriel, I'm surprised no-one else has mentioned this yet:

The original version of this was the best. The 1988 remix seemed a bit pointless:

I can't believe this song is 30 years old. Grace Jones is still one of the coolest living people in the world:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blondie, Kim Carnes, Wang Chung, Juice Newton,
Village People ( late 70s), to start.

Southlondongent

Reaction score
Siouxsie and the Banshees 'Spellbound'

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. ]

The Times 'I Helped Patrick McGoohan Escape'

The Untouchables 'I Spy for the FBI'

The Prisoners 'Find and Seek'

JAMC 'Never Understand'

Happy Mondays 'Performance'

Inspiral Carpets 'Joe'

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads