• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Pilsner?

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Oh, and by the way, "Pilsner," in my opinion, is just a marketing term, not an actual type of beer.

only in the usa, actually it's a town and an almost 200 year old marketing term in europe ..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilsener

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coldarchon
only in the usa, actually it's a town and an almost 200 year old marketing term in europe ..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilsener

Exactly. It has more to do with the "hop character" than the way the beer is brewed. As far as brewing is concerned, there are two types of beers: lagers (bottom-fermenting) and ales (top-fermenting). Everything is just a variation of those two, that's why there's so much confusion as to what is and isn't a Pilsner. The only real Pilsner is an Urquell.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly. It has more to do with the "hop character" than the way the beer is brewed. As far as brewing is concerned, there are two types of beers: lagers (bottom-fermenting) and ales (top-fermenting).

Pilsner references the style of the brewing, not the fermentation process. It's not a strict taxonomy, but that doesn't preclude some beers from justifiably being called pilsners. Besides, not all Pilsner Urquell is made at the original brewery anyway.

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly. It has more to do with the "hop character" than the way the beer is brewed.
no. for the way it is brewed it needs pilsen malt, pure barley.
The only real Pilsner is an Urquell.
actually the name derives from a herb called "bilsen" (henbanes) that was used in bavaria during middle age. josef groll showed the people in pilsen how to brew better beer, and a phonetic coincidence made a world-wide career ..

12XU

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pscolari
Victory Prima Pils. Great example of the style.
Excellent beer. If you like that one, try the Victory Braumeister Harvest Pilsner. It's uses fresh hops and has a bit more hop aroma and flavor without being overwhelming.
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Has anyone tried Sam Adams' Imperial Pilsner?
This one is also very good if you're a hop head. Hops hops and more hops in this one. Wow! Again, if you can find it. I haven't seen it this year. Regarding the Czech beers...Czech is a long way from here. Although they are delicious beers if you happen to be in Prague, I think you're better off buying something made closer to home from a nice craft brewery like Victory. Or brew your own!

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
3820285255_981e301642.jpg

This is the best pilsner I've ever drank. My opinion is biased because I visited the brewery last March. It's worth the effort for you guys to get a few bottles and try it.

Hehlol

Reaction score
Beck's.

Oh, and by the way, "Pilsner," in my opinion, is just a marketing term, not an actual type of beer.

It must be nice to have the mindset where you can disregard facts/actuality based strictly on your own opinion of something.

Using your logic, 9/11 didn't happen in my opinion, so therefore, it didn't.

Pilsner IS an actual type of beer, but don't let the accuracy of the actual facts stop you from believing you 'see through the bullshit marketing machine.'

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hehlol
Pilsner IS an actual type of beer, but don't let the accuracy of the actual facts stop you from believing you 'see through the bullshit marketing machine.'

I would like to draw your attention to the posts at the top of this page, we already discussed this ..

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hehlol
It must be nice to have the mindset where you can disregard facts/actuality based strictly on your own opinion of something.

Using your logic, 9/11 didn't happen in my opinion, so therefore, it didn't.

facepalm.gif

Valproate

Reaction score
Urquell is good, but my favorite hands down is Scrimshaw. Full Sail IPA is also decent.

ektaylor

Reaction score
Just finished drinking four ice cold pilsner beers on a relatively empty stomach. I've come to realize how much I love that bitter and slightly sweet after taste which lingers in the back of your mouth while simultaneously cooling the ceiling of your stomach. It's almost better than the few guiltless moments immediately after finishing a 50 dollar meal.

In the spirit of this thread, I really have not found a better pilsner than Pilsner Urquell. Trumer Pils comes close, but really doesn't have that bready, yet light after taste I'm after. Schonramer is too metallic, Scrimshaw is forgettable (in fact, I have), I've tried a few others recently, but they were so middling that I already cannot remember their names.

Tomorrow or Tuesday night, I'm planning on making my way to a local market which carries an incredible selection of pilsners. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking to pick up 4-5 beers and just drink one after the other in one night--sort of a purposive way to get drunk. It's research, really.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads