1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Favorite Pilsner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by ektaylor, Nov 21, 2009.

1. ektaylor

ektaylor Well-Known Member

What are you favorite pilsner beers? I live in Berkeley and there are quite a few local varieties out there--some of which I have ashamedly not tried.

In my experience two have stood out: Trumer Pils and Pilsner Urquell. Unfortunately, due to the local Trumer Pils brewery, the bars in the area rarely offer another pilsner on tap.

I am curious, though, what are your 'go to' pilsners?

2. pscolari

pscolari Well-Known Member

Victory Prima Pils. Great example of the style.

3. tdangio

tdangio Well-Known Member

Victory Prima Pils. Great example of the style.

Eh, pilsner. I had one of these in the UK a few weeks ago and am now on a mission to find it in the US, so far no luck.

[​IMG]

4. why

why Well-Known Member

Eh, pilsner. I had one of these in the UK a few weeks ago and am now on a mission to find it in the US, so far no luck.

[​IMG]

That's a pilsner? [​IMG]

5. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

Beck's.

Oh, and by the way, "Pilsner," in my opinion, is just a marketing term, not an actual type of beer.

6. texas_jack

texas_jack Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried Sam Adams' Imperial Pilsner?

7. tdangio

tdangio Well-Known Member

That's a pilsner? [​IMG]

No. My lack of enthusiasm for pilsner could have led you to the conclusion that it wasn't. It is a great beer though. Worthington White Shield

8. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

I like Tsing Tao

9. why

why Well-Known Member

Beck's.

Oh, and by the way, "Pilsner," in my opinion, is just a marketing term, not an actual type of beer.

Eh, it refers mainly to the type of brewing. I agree somewhat -- a lot of lagers get called pilsners when they taste nothing like most of the crisp Czech beers that promulgated the term.

10. pabloj

pabloj Well-Known Member

Eh, it refers mainly to the type of brewing. I agree somewhat -- a lot of lagers get called pilsners when they taste nothing like most of the crisp Czech beers that promulgated the term.
    One more reason to know and appreciate the real ones.

11. CDFS

CDFS Well-Known Member

Grolsch, Gulpner, Jupiler.

12. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

Urquell, the origional Bud comes a close second. I pretty much won't drink any other pilsners, life is too short.

13. fkl118

fkl118 Well-Known Member

Pilsner Urquell, if only because it's the original, from Plzen.

14. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Well-Known Member

Urquell, the origional Bud comes a close second. I pretty much won't drink any other pilsners, life is too short.

I prefer Budweiser Budvar (or Czechvar as it's labelled in Canada)to Pilsner Urquell but they're both fantastic beers.

Many of the North American mega-breweries call their beers pilsners but they're nothing like the real thing.

15. coldarchon

coldarchon Well-Known Member

only in the usa, actually it's a town and an almost 200 year old marketing term in europe ..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilsener

16. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

only in the usa, actually it's a town and an almost 200 year old marketing term in europe ..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilsener

Exactly. It has more to do with the "hop character" than the way the beer is brewed. As far as brewing is concerned, there are two types of beers: lagers (bottom-fermenting) and ales (top-fermenting). Everything is just a variation of those two, that's why there's so much confusion as to what is and isn't a Pilsner. The only real Pilsner is an Urquell.

17. why

why Well-Known Member

Exactly. It has more to do with the "hop character" than the way the beer is brewed. As far as brewing is concerned, there are two types of beers: lagers (bottom-fermenting) and ales (top-fermenting).

Pilsner references the style of the brewing, not the fermentation process. It's not a strict taxonomy, but that doesn't preclude some beers from justifiably being called pilsners. Besides, not all Pilsner Urquell is made at the original brewery anyway.

18. coldarchon

coldarchon Well-Known Member

Exactly. It has more to do with the "hop character" than the way the beer is brewed.
    no. for the way it is brewed it needs pilsen malt, pure barley.
    The only real Pilsner is an Urquell.
    actually the name derives from a herb called "bilsen" (henbanes) that was used in bavaria during middle age. josef groll showed the people in pilsen how to brew better beer, and a phonetic coincidence made a world-wide career ..

19. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Well-Known Member