• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Faconnable

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Gentleman -
Just curious what you think of the Faconnable brand. I have only seen it at Nordstroms so I don't know if it is a store brand or what.
I know a guy who wears quite a few sport shirts from this brand and I thought they were rather smart. Sort of an upmarket Polo/RL.
What do you guys think?
Curious,

Bradford

bryce330

Reaction score
It's not a store brand (it's French) but I think Nordstrom has exclusive rights to distribute the brand in the U.S., although there are a couple of Faconnable boutiques in the U.S. - NewYork and Dallas, maybe others.

In general it's pretty high quality for reasonable prices, I think the Polo comparison is apt. I have a pair of chinos I picked up at Nordstrom for about $60 on sale, they are nice and soft but a little baggier in the leg than I prefer.

The shirts have some nice patterns but they all seem to have the Faconnable name across the pocket.

Joe G

Reaction score
It's a French brand. They're carried in Harrod's and other such places as well as in some standalone boutiques. I've only seen 'em in Nordstroms in the US, though.

Can't say I've ever cared for 'em, though. It strikes me as a parody of a parody of American WASPdom.

Peace,

JG

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentleman -
 Just curious what you think of the Faconnable brand. I have only seen it at Nordstroms so I don't know if it is a store brand or what.
 I know a guy who wears quite a few sport shirts from this brand and I thought they were rather smart. Sort of an upmarket Polo/RL.
 What do you guys think?
 Curious,

Bradford
Very nice suits (most not fused)

Shirts with the name on pocket (but who wears shirts with pocket with a suit...?) but no pocket for double cuffs

Nice braces

Nices ties

A good value, you can find it in Beverly hills

rsp1

Reaction score
They are actually owned by Nordstrom now (they were bought out about 2 years back).

Yosarian77

Reaction score
but who wears shirts with pocket with a suit...?)
I wear shirts with pockets and suits all the time. Why? Because I wear a suit at work and often have meetings throughout the day. I like to put a pen in there if I'm jetting over to a conference room, etc. for a meeting. I lose way too many pens if I don't.

But back to Facconable. I like the colors, etc. but could never stomach wearing a shirt with the "Facconable" label on the front.

DandySF

Reaction score
When I bought a Faconnable shirt I asked that the label on the pocket be removed.  The salesperson took it to alterations and returned in a few mintues with a newly label-free shirt.  I also use a seam ripper to remove unsightly labels, and even shirt pockets.

Pink22m

Reaction score
Faconnable is a nice brand; I think an upmarket RL is fairly valid. The stuff is designed by Albert Goldberg, mostly in France, and much of it that is sold in the U.S is made in the U.S. I have a couple nice shirts, both designed in France, and made in the U.S. They are both nice gingham check patters, with one being a really nice light blue that is quite springy (I have gotten many compliments on), and the other being a much darker shade of blue. The collars are quite tall and substantial, and my only reservation about the shirts are that they are cut very large. I think most of the Faconnable clothing is cut large, which is why I have yet to purchase anything more from this brand.

gregory

Reaction score
I wear shirts with pockets and suits all the time. Why? Because I wear a suit at work and often have meetings throughout the day. I like to put a pen in there if I'm jetting over to a conference room, etc. for a meeting. I lose way too many pens if I don't.
The pen belongs in the interior suit pocket, not the shirt pocket.

William Massena

Reaction score
Faconnable was originally a Tailor shop established by Jean Goldberg in Nice France in 1950. By 1970, his son Albert took over the store and created a British American sportwear line which became very popular in the French Riviera. They opened a store in Paris in 1984. The clothes were mostly made in Italy, shirts with great colors, very preppy look before RL was even heard of in France. In 1994, Nordstrom became the license for the US and produced some of the clothes in Far East and also US.
In 2000, Norsdstrom bought Faconnable from Albert and the brand is not even a ghost of its former self. The quality of the cloth is pathetic compared to my experience as a Teenager buying oxford shirt at the then only Faconnable boutique on 17, rue Paradis in Nice in the early 80's.

W.

gregory

Reaction score
I do not really see Faconnable as preppy, although everyone thinks so. Can someone kindly elaborate?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The pen belongs in the interior suit pocket, not the shirt pocket.
Unless you take your jacket off at times at work, which many people do.

I have a fuchsia Faconnable tie I bought (well, my mom bought for me) a long time ago to go with my first suit and my pink RLPL pinpoint oxford shirt. I wore it to a wedding and got tons of compliments. It's a very nice tie, substantial, ties well, hangs well, etc.

vero_group

Reaction score
Nah, most Faconnable is made in South East Asia these days, just like everybody else. I like the designs but have a tough time stomaching the thought of paying $125 for a shirt made in Macau. Just too much profit for relatively little quality or design originality. The Nordstrom men's section in general has really gone to pot, IMHO. I will occassionally pick up way-outta-season Faconnable stuff at Nordstrom Rack at some of their special 75% off already marked-down prices sales. $30 is all I'm willing to pay for Faconnable these days.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah, most Faconnable is made in South East Asia these days, just like everybody else. I like the designs but have a tough time stomaching the thought of paying $125 for a shirt made in Macau. Just too much profit for relatively little quality or design originality. The Nordstrom men's section in general has really gone to pot, IMHO. I will occassionally pick up way-outta-season Faconnable stuff at Nordstrom Rack at some of their special 75% off already marked-down prices sales. $30 is all I'm willing to pay for Faconnable these days.
what's why you have no faconnable garment

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads