• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thefenceposts

Reaction score
@epaulet While we're all loving the epic EFF going on right now - is this a harbinger of doom for Epaulet x Hertling trousers?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@epaulet While we're all loving the epic EFF going on right now - is this a harbinger of doom for Epaulet x Hertling trousers?

@Thefenceposts absolutely not, we'll definitely go forward with Hertling trousers. Even without Julie Hertling, they're still my guys! You'll see stock and MTO items coming from them. We're already working on new stuff for next years.

Although.. this is probably the harbinger of doom for Hertling "Ends for Friends" as we know it. This program is contingent upon the factory holding a lot of excess fabric that they need to clear out. After this promo closes on Thursday, they're going to offer whatever cloth that we don't sell to other accounts. When they order new fabrics, they'll most likely order much less than Julie ever did. He's truly from the old school and buys cloth on gut feeling rather than projections. The new team has to make a trouser factory profitable in the most expensive place possible to run one.. so managing inventory is extremely important.

I hope that Hertling Trousers are always part of our assortment and I'm fully committed to them. But this is probably the last time that you'll see things like Oxford Flannel and Military Cloth and Wool-Cashmere offered at these prices, in this big range of fits. So it's a great opportunity to stock up!

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@slude

After long last... we're getting our delivery tomorrow! For real! I just got confirmation that customs has released it and a truck is scheduled.

In the shipment, we'll have:

All Museum Calf sneakers and boots

Mike.

Even though I'll be getting them soon enough, could you please post a couple a pics of the museum calf gunmetal boots when you get them to whet our whistles?

zennypoo

Reaction score
Hi @Epaulet, quick questions about the Japanese Military Twill.

Does the fabric fade or shrink with cold water machine wash? Being 12 oz, is it too hot for the 90 degree "winter" we are having in SoCal? I'd like to be able to wear this at work, but somewhat worried about fading.

Thanks,

Dan

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Mike.

Even though I'll be getting them soon enough, could you please post a couple a pics of the museum calf gunmetal boots when you get them to whet our whistles?

Sure, we're going to shoot every individual variant that arrives

Hi @Epaulet, quick questions about the Japanese Military Twill.

Does the fabric fade or shrink with cold water machine wash? Being 12 oz, is it too hot for the 90 degree "winter" we are having in SoCal? I'd like to be able to wear this at work, but somewhat worried about fading.

Thanks,

Dan

It's a great fabric, even in the heat. I've worn my Military Twill Taylors on plenty of hot days here. It's lighter than most jeans.

And don't stress about fading, it's totally biz-caz appropriate. It will fade a bit if you really wash it like crazy, but any cotton will

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Derby Shoe Deal for our Styleforum Crew

Hey guys, You might remember this shoe from when we introduced it and cleared it out. Turns out.. I had a lingering order for 36 more units at the factory, and they came in a few weeks ago. It's a great shoe, but was never a hit for us online. It's probably a bit too basic for most of our customers. We sold it very well at our Brooklyn storefront, but we no longer have that. So I'm going to put all of this stuff on markdown this coming Friday. If you'd like to grab a pair before then, I've got a 40% off code that you can use. If you choose to buy this way, it will be FINAL SALE, even though that text is not written on the full price item. Here's the link to it And this is the code which takes it from $265 to $159... DerbyShoeStyleforumCrew The code will expire midnight Thursday, and we'll move it to the sale section on Friday at the same price. Using the code is just a way to give you guys first access to this. At $159, it's a great and extremely well made shoe for the money. Couple of notes on it: 1) Buy it true to size, same size as our sneakers 2) Couro Cromo upper is like Chromexcel: tough, water and stain resistant, ages beautifully, easy to take care of 3) Combination leather & rubber sole is durable and comfortable. The shoes can be resoled when needed as well 4) It feels and wears like a sneaker, but it presents itself as a biz-caz shoe. Can be a great item if you need something like this in your wardrobe.
Hey Mike, If I'm a size 8 in the Barrie last, should I go with a size 8.5? This is something I'm looking for to replace my worn out "cheap" shoes to wear to see my clients in construction and farms. Thanks.

Duke Silver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Epaulet Sorry to add to the flurry of questions about the fabrics, but apart from the thickness, can you guess to the breathability of the Thick and Cozy Brushed Olive Canvas? Will it wear like a heavier duck canvas where the air will pass through or is it going to be closer to moleskin? Really love the color and I'm a sucker for brushed cottons, but if that's only going to fly in LA a couple months of the year, I'm probably better picking something else.

zennypoo

Reaction score

It's a great fabric, even in the heat. I've worn my Military Twill Taylors on plenty of hot days here. It's lighter than most jeans.
And don't stress about fading, it's totally biz-caz appropriate. It will fade a bit if you really wash it like crazy, but any cotton will

Thanks for the super-quick reply Mike! Sounds like the right fabric for me.

Dan

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Thanks for the super-quick reply Mike! Sounds like the right fabric for me.

Dan

You're gonna love it - the best cotton twill that Hertling has ever offered IMO

@Epaulet
 Sorry to add to the flurry of questions about the fabrics, but apart from the thickness, can you guess to the breathability of the Thick and Cozy Brushed Olive Canvas? Will it wear like a heavier duck canvas where the air will pass through or is it going to be closer to moleskin? Really love the color and I'm a sucker for brushed cottons, but if that's only going to fly in LA a couple months of the year, I'm probably better picking something else.

It's kind of in between the duck and a moleskin. It's definitely thick and warm. I'd wear it on the Westside at night, but it's going to be overkill most days - at least outdoors.

That said, it comes down to your preference - we've got plenty of guys in SoCal who order Dongeal tweed pants and shell cordovan boots.

Hey Mike,

If I'm a size 8 in the Barrie last, should I go with a size 8.5?

This is something I'm looking for to replace my worn out "cheap" shoes to wear to see my clients in construction and farms.

Thanks.

Yup, size 8.5 - and I think that these will work out nicely for that. The cromo leather is really easy to clean

trig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure what I'd be for that brown derby mike. 7e barrie makes me think 8. But I wear a 9 in vans and Jack Parcells. So that's a full size difference. Seems it'd be significantly different

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Relating it to your above answer, how would you compare the Thick and Cozy Brushed canvas.

And, 3 season wear in F-L-A?

Oh, you answered this above. Sounds like I might overheat down here except for like 60 degree days, eh?

Last edited:

JilSlander

Reaction score
Hey Mike,

If I'm a size 8 in the Barrie last, should I go with a size 8.5?

This is something I'm looking for to replace my worn out "cheap" shoes to wear to see my clients in construction and farms.

Thanks.

I'm also a size 8 in the Barrie last. 8.5 fits me perfectly in these derbies.

They feel so damn sturdy. The soles are awesome in wet weather.

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This end of an era for Hertling makes me profoundly sad. In an attempt to assuage my sadness I decided to pick up the Oxford Grey 130's flannel (hard to say no to that one) and the caramel cords. They're probably boring choices but will work with the majority of my wardrobe. @Epaulet these EFF events are/were the coolest. Thanks for bringing such opportunities to the community.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went winter Walt crazy and got myself:
  • Italian Brushed Cotton Latte
  • Thick and Cozy Brushed Olive Canvas
  • Mocha English Corduroy

My autumnal trouser collection (30+ pairs and growing) anxiously await their new friends.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads